Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update here. We have two cars, an X5 and MS, a Progressive Insurance policy, $900 for 6 months for both with high coverage and low deductibles. The MS made up roughly $600 of the overall premium. In swapping out the MS for the MX, it actually dropped our overall premium by about $30 total, so was same or a tiny bit less. The MS was just a 70D, the MX is a 90D.

I have 7 kids under 10 and often have 2-6 of them with me in the X. It's the easiest SUV I've dealt with as far as getting kids in and out and installing/uninstalling car seats. That said, it's not as easy as a van or mini-van ;)

The positive of the doors is that when they can open fully there is a lot of room to get kids in and they have smartly arranged them to adjust in a manner that let's you leave a kiddo in the car seat while you maneuver the second row forward for third row access.

The negative is that it's a bit of a spectacle and no more effective than the sliding door of a mini-van.

Ash

Nationwide has my cars and house. At first they couldn't add the X because it was > $100k. So theyngot it quoted through Progressive for $1300/6 months. The following day they were able to get underwriting approval from Nationwide to add the X to my existing policy. She expects it to be a lot cheaper but I'll find out the cost on Monday.

Nationwide is telling me they will not insure an X.

My State Farm agent just quoted me the following:

multi- $1048.43 or $175/mo
(Meaning we keep our hybrid sedan, this is how much the MX increases it)

single- $1251.21 or $208.54/mo
(Ditch our sedan and lose our multi-car discount)

I was surprised and found this very reasonable for a car that is ~$90k

My State Farm agent just quoted me the following:

multi- $1048.43 or $175/mo
(Meaning we keep our hybrid sedan, this is how much the MX increases it)

single- $1251.21 or $208.54/mo
(Ditch our sedan and lose our multi-car discount)

I was surprised and found this very reasonable for a car that is ~$90k

Interesting. We've been with State Farm for well over 25+ years, but their rates are just outrageous right now. Even though they have a huge market share and a lot of capital to pay out for claims, it's just really bad in my opinion.

They're offering me at the cheapest double what others are, despite the exact same coverage I currently have plus an increase in the car being 20K more than the one I have now.

I have a Model S (P85) that I was paying $636 every 6 months. They told me that my Model X was just finished and awaiting delivery. I called to switch to the Model X once I pick it up and I was surprised the insurance went down to $585.
Is your Model X a P90D or regular 90D?
Performance cars always get higher premium, and your P85 would fall into that category, I think.

Full disclosure, as my handle on the forum indicates I am an insurance agent. I am independent and primarily write our business with Erie Insurance. My agency has insured several Tesla's. Everything from an S 60 to an S P90D with Ludicrous. My X90 is the first X we have insured and I am at just under $900 a year using a value of $115k. That $900 a year includes a coverage that is similar to lease/loan gap but provides a new replacement vehicle if a total loss occurs in the first 24 months (cost $180 a year but worth every penny). I don't get any special consideration with the rates I pay (State regulations don't allow that). Insurance policies are not created equally and some of the companies I have seen referenced on here make me fear for you guys. Be very cautious with some of the companies out there. A few of these companies could be a huge headache for you, especially on a total loss. You need a company or agent that knows what a Tesla is and how to properly value the vehicle for rating purposes. This is especially true if you have purchased one of the performance models.

Full disclosure, as my handle on the forum indicates I am an insurance agent. I am independent and primarily write our business with Erie Insurance. My agency has insured several Tesla's. Everything from an S 60 to an S P90D with Ludicrous. My X90 is the first X we have insured and I am at just under $900 a year using a value of $115k. That $900 a year includes a coverage that is similar to lease/loan gap but provides a new replacement vehicle if a total loss occurs in the first 24 months (cost $180 a year but worth every penny). I don't get any special consideration with the rates I pay (State regulations don't allow that). Insurance policies are not created equally and some of the companies I have seen referenced on here make me fear for you guys. Be very cautious with some of the companies out there. A few of these companies could be a huge headache for you, especially on a total loss. You need a company or agent that knows what a Tesla is and how to properly value the vehicle for rating purposes. This is especially true if you have purchased one of the performance models.

I would agree, some of the companies that have been quoting me are simply skimping on stuff to get the price down.

I am getting quotes from $2K to $4K for six months.

I did look into Erie yesterday but they do not insure in my state.