Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X jack pads in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone recommend a place to get Model X jack pads in the UK, ideally in-person or with fast delivery? Will these do? I saw some that appear to be out of stock or no longer sold that are the size of the whole plate, which somehow seems sturdier to me.

My MX has developed stiff steering again. It's so odd - was perfectly fine, drove 20 minutes down a motorway on a route that we do quite often, and shortly after coming off the motorway the steering was stiff every quarter-turn again.

Last time we jacked it some bodging was done using various nuts between the jack and the jacking plate to get it to fit. I'm a complete car maintenance novice, and the approach of my dad (who helped me last time) is described by my mum as "BIY: Bodge It Yourself". Hence I'm keen to get the right equipment for lifting a £108,000, 2.5 ton car over my head :)

Local garage just keeps the blocks of timber they cut up the first time my s was on their hoist.
I'm all for DIY but just to lift it, take off a wheel to access for lube... I doubt they'd charge me more than they do for a puncture. £20 last time.
In reality I'd take the opportunity for them to do a brake service while it's up..

Ah, I didn't realise this. How much of a faff is that, do you know?
If you haven’t already, suggest you register an account on here to get to the service / disassembly instructions:

The individual service and repair sub is free for 12 months (even though they make you use a CC for verification, there is no charge). It’s only if you need to get access to the diagnostic software that it becomes chargeable.

IMG_0589.jpeg

👍

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DeejUK
Ah, I didn't realise this. How much of a faff is that, do you know?
I think it’s about as hard as via the wheel arch. Removing the liner isn’t hard, and I think the US videos you see prefer the wheel arch method because the 12v battery etc being in the way via the frunk, but being RHD it’s different for us. That said, I’ve never done it so don’t go just in my word.

Reactions: DeejUK
Another one for future thread necromancers: I couldn't actually see the u-joint after removing the frunk bin and HEPA filter. I could however see it by steering full-lock to the right, and with suspension set to "very high" I managed to get my arm in with a can of WD40 that had a bendy straw/nozzle/thing. Then once the u-joint was gleaming, it was possible to spot with steering full-lock to the left, and once again gave it a spray.

It was good to have the experience of taking the frunk out (it's not hard, even for a numpty like me) and to clean the HEPA filter, but future readers should note that you can get away with not doing that.

1685375486457.png

Another one for future thread necromancers: I couldn't actually see the u-joint after removing the frunk bin and HEPA filter. I could however see it by steering full-lock to the right, and with suspension set to "very high" I managed to get my arm in with a can of WD40 that had a bendy straw/nozzle/thing. Then once the u-joint was gleaming, it was possible to spot with steering full-lock to the left, and once again gave it a spray.

It was good to have the experience of taking the frunk out (it's not hard, even for a numpty like me) and to clean the HEPA filter, but future readers should note that you can get away with not doing that.
I always find taking things apart is the easy bit. It's putting them back thats the challenge :)

Good work though and I trust your steering issues are sorted after all that? The cleaner hepa filter sounds like a nice bonus.