Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla website photo is beautiful ... no changes needed to my eye.

attachment.php?attachmentid=86260&d=1436016388.jpg

Indeed, the X looks way better when shot from above so all that glass on the roof breaks up the blandness of the current body... or with the falcon wings open for the very same reason. Unfortunately, that's not what the X will look like to everyone seeing it on the road. Don't get me wrong, I am very appreciative of Tesla and their mission... it's just that I would be very pleased if there is some noticeable improvement to the exterior look of the X (sides and back do look bland to me in shots in this thread), even though I've bet chocolate that this wont happen.

One area where the 2015 mules differ from that 2012 prototype pictured in the photo, is also the falcon wing windows - the mule has one more separate part (presumably to allow the other part to open more fully). With blacked out windows, the effect is quite excessively "split" in the mules. The prototype, as it looks, looks more balanced in this regard. I expect the production Model X to look better through with final seams and lack of camo, no matter what its design changes compared to the mule may be, if any.

One area where the 2015 mules differ from that 2012 prototype pictured in the photo, is also the falcon wing windows - the mule has one more separate part (presumably to allow the other part to open more fully). With blacked out windows, the effect is quite excessively "split" in the mules. The prototype, as it looks, looks more balanced in this regard. I expect the production Model X to look better through with final seams and lack of camo, no matter what its design changes compared to the mule may be, if any.

Is this what you're talking about? -->

xcpillar.JPG

Is this what you're talking about? -->

View attachment 86441

Yes, I believe it to be part-window (blacked out on mule), part-pillar. The prototype only had a slight pillar section there.

It is, of course, not uncommon to split the rear window like they do on the mule - it is done to allow the larger part of the rear window to open further.

Part of this change also explains the mule falcon wings extending further back over the rear wheel than on the prototype.

image.jpg
I'm eagerly anticipating the x and, apparently, so is my wife! She took this on 280 in Palo Alto this morning.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
I'm eagerly anticipating the x and, apparently, so is my wife! She took this on 280 in Palo Alto this morning.

- - - Updated - - -

And another
image.jpg

My wife has ZERO interest in reading these types of forums. I've showed her the mule photos in the past and she barely glances at them. Without knowing what has been said on the forums she said it looked small, the side looked good, back looks "round."

- - - Updated - - -

Prius V

My wife has ZERO interest in reading these types of forums. I've showed her the mule photos in the past and she barely glances at them. Without knowing what has been said on the forums she said it looked small, the side looked good, back looks "round."

- - - Updated - - -

Prius V
Very interesting, thanks (or thank your wife) for the pics.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like they are still doing that "hit the curb line" test. Software tweaking for the next-gen auto-pilot setup?

The VW in front of it is doing the same thing... maybe it's a 'Cali thing'?

At last! An actual mule sighting in the mule sighting thread.
Are those brake lights low down on the back?

Agreed. Big thank you for the photos to the poster and his wife.

As for those low lights, whatever they are, they were already on the 2012 prototype and all the 2015 mules: How different are the 2015 Model X mules vs. 2012-2013 prototype(s)

I cropped a version of this image to show the car a bit better, hope the poster won't mind.

Have we seen those wheels in grey on Model X mules yet? In black we have, but they aluminium colored wheels have usually been different...

The reflection of the adaptive spoiler shows nicely.

Also, are they working on thicker window trim, the front part has slimmer and back thicker stock of the same trim? With thicker trim, the new bloated shape could work better.

model_x_july_7th.jpg