Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those taillights are the same as in the Model X Concept:
modelx.jpg

Perhaps it slots up into the underside of the bumper like my old LR3. This was not a great set up as it limited tongue weight to 500lbs.
attachment.php?attachmentid=88437&d=1437753609.jpg

Judging by these potos, I think it's very likely the hitch is attached inside the cutout somehow, and is either manually removable or electrically retractible. We'll have to wait and see exactly what solution they've gone for. :)

Judging by these potos, I think it's very likely the hitch is attached inside the cutout somehow, and is either manually removable or electrically retractible. We'll have to wait and see exactly what solution they've gone for. :)

I wonder about an electric option. Wouldn't towing put too much pressure on the mechanism since it would be pulling it further along its track?

I wonder about an electric option. Wouldn't towing put too much pressure on the mechanism since it would be pulling it further along its track?
I'm absolutely sure it's possible to make a very robust electric hitch mechanism with locking pins or something similar. After all, it's possible to make electric landing gear on aircraft, designed to withstand the force of landing on an aircraft carrier...

I'm absolutely sure it's possible to make a very robust electric hitch mechanism with locking pins or something similar. After all, it's possible to make electric landing gear on aircraft, designed to withstand the force of landing on an aircraft carrier...

Very true, but we're not talking airplane budget here. I guess for me, the less that can go wrong, the better.

Mercedes and others already have automatic retractable hitches. Others have manually retractable ones such as the Honda CR-V.

Aircraft which are landing on aircraft carriers tend to be a lot smaller than the ones which don't. And the aircraft carrier applies no extra force which the ground doesn't. Just basic physics [emoji6]

And afaik most aircraft which have retractable landing gear use hydraulic systems.

Aircraft which are landing on aircraft carriers tend to be a lot smaller than the ones which don't. And the aircraft carrier applies no extra force which the ground doesn't. Just basic physics [emoji6]
And afaik most aircraft which have retractable landing gear use hydraulic systems.

Found Mr. Naval Architects nerve..... Please, lets not compare apples to oranges. the hydraulic system on naval aircraft sees forces in all six degrees of freedom, in amounts that cant be imagined by an auto.
That said it is VERY possible, in fact easy, to make a very robust system for an automobile that would move. Problem for any car but particularly Tesla is how much that system would weigh.

Sure. But as for most other cars at least on the S it looks better in body color. I've seen S's wrapped or painted all the way to the bottom and it is much much better.
Good thing mine is black so it blends ok anyway. :)

It is the fact that the trim is black that makes the illusion work. The black tends to disappear to the eye, making the car appear less bulky. If the trim is body color, it does not have the desired visual effect. The Model S is a sleeker vehicle, so the illusion is less important.