Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X not so cheap, after all

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think punitive taxes are as bad as subsidies - they both tilt the playing field with unintended consequences. But we're not even in the ballpark of where the taxes on gas and cars in the U.S. could be considered punitive.
Agreed. (well, maybe not punitive, but not exactly comfortable, either)

BTW, I just remembered that we did/do have a subsidy on biofuel blending. It's such that Europe actually sent diesel here via container ship, got the $1/gal subsidy for blending in 1% biodiesel, then shipped the fuel back to Europe for sale. With their prices, our government ended up funding a tidy profit that didn't really benefit any citizens here.

BTW, I just remembered that we did/do have a subsidy on biofuel blending. It's such that Europe actually sent diesel here via container ship, got the $1/gal subsidy for blending in 1% biodiesel, then shipped the fuel back to Europe for sale. With their prices, our government ended up funding a tidy profit that didn't really benefit any citizens here.

Wow, that bites. Not to mention the fuel that was burned to transport it both ways.

I too thought it would be cheaper until the guys on the main forums cleared it up for me.

Perhaps it will be cheaper come reservation time, but they don't want that leaking before S production rolls since some people would change their reservations to the lower priced model? Or maybe I'm just hoping...

Perhaps it will be cheaper come reservation time, but they don't want that leaking before S production rolls since some people would change their reservations to the lower priced model? Or maybe I'm just hoping...

Yep, you're just hoping. :smile: Considering that the Model X is simply a Model S with possibly a second motor and a trailer hitch, I'm sure it will be more expensive. Especially with inflation to take into consideration. Although, hopefully battery prices will have gone down.

Yep, you're just hoping. :smile: Considering that the Model X is simply a Model S with possibly a second motor and a trailer hitch, I'm sure it will be more expensive. Especially with inflation to take into consideration. Although, hopefully battery prices will have gone down.

Agreed. Even if packs did go down, I imagine they'd still price it higher as if they went lower, they may have to discount the Model S as well. I see these guys playing the game like Apple. Reduce costs, but still charge the premium (for a bit anyways).

From a purely selfish standpoint I hope that Tesla (like every other corporation) maximizes profit potential so that they stay in business. If they don't, and they go out of business, then the value of my Model S will plummet in value because there will be no maintenance and no battery replacement. They are in such a competitive industry that I don't see them earning outsized profits over the long term.

I see these guys playing the game like Apple. Reduce costs, but still charge the premium (for a bit anyways).

Tesla can charge a premium, and people will pay it, so long as the other automakers don't go full bore into EVs. Of course, since all the other automakers (except Nissan) seem to be betting on fuel-cells instead of pure EVs I could see Tesla turning tidy profits not long after Model S is released (as long as reservations keep coming). If Tesla can continue to innovate and stay ahead of other automakers on the EV front they should be fine as an independent automaker.

What about the stock market? It showed no one was paying attention to the Beta Event.

I don't think many follow Tesla as close as we do. It took time for people to catch on (as I guessed, it was late Tuesday/early Wednesday) to what had transpired that weekend. Once they did, interest bloomed again. On the stock side of things, I think we're in a great position to know better than the average joe when to buy and sell.

There were rumors...

They weren't rumors. They were incorrectly reported details mixing up the 3 generation Tesla vehicle with Model S spin off vehicles.

IMHO, When in doubt listen to what Elon Musk says. not reporters or rumors.

For instance: Today Elon musk said the Model X will Have 4 wheel Drive and the air suspention opion so I belive it.

Strait from the horses mouth my friend. :cool:

Source: "Tesla Motors, Inc. Third Quarter 2011 Financial Results Q&A Conference Call"

Last edited: