Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X noticeable changes from 2016 to now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember when I had a 12-16 built loaner, there were some noticeable difference in terms of QC

#1 The front door latch sounded scary when you close
#2 The FWD just squeaked like crazy
#3 I know people love the ventilated front seats, all they did was make noise
#4. More squeaks around the car
#5. Quieter cabin in the newer cars

I remember when I had a 12-16 built loaner, there were some noticeable difference in terms of QC

#1 The front door latch sounded scary when you close
#2 The FWD just squeaked like crazy
#3 I know people love the ventilated front seats, all they did was make noise
#4. More squeaks around the car
#5. Quieter cabin in the newer cars

Thanks for the feedback on your experience.

Was it a high mile car ? Surprising that even a year in it has that many QC Iissues.

I wonder if it was a one off “Friday afternoon” produced car or if this is how they all were even that late into production, as there have been a couple of owners chiming into say that they had some earlier are that were pretty solid / fixed to be solid

I have the 4/2017 version. The FWDs slammed so hard.

Took it to SC. They replaced sensors and sent it to a bodyshop. I got the car back with significant amount of aluminum dusts inside the car. I guess something really changed inside the door as they called “retrofit”.
9220D1B0-1320-40B2-A815-F209C3515929.jpeg

Very timely thread for me. Thanks for all the observations. I have a new 75D to be picked up in Mid June. I stumbled upon a high mileage late 2016 P100D and have been scratching my head as to what the better option is. With the new car I get all the new components and build quality with the 2016 P100D I get the bigger pack (though range is curtailed with the 22 inch wheels) and of course the P with the older components and build. Don’t care if it’s Ap1 or Ap2 etc but still not sure what to do. Reading all this sways me to the new build and sure the performance would be cool I will be using it for road trips with the kids etc. Range is not so much of a concern to me either way...

Very timely thread for me. Thanks for all the observations. I have a new 75D to be picked up in Mid June. I stumbled upon a high mileage late 2016 P100D and have been scratching my head as to what the better option is. With the new car I get all the new components and build quality with the 2016 P100D I get the bigger pack (though range is curtailed with the 22 inch wheels) and of course the P with the older components and build. Don’t care if it’s Ap1 or Ap2 etc but still not sure what to do. Reading all this sways me to the new build and sure the performance would be cool I will be using it for road trips with the kids etc. Range is not so much of a concern to me either way...

If you can, take a look at the used X in person. It might be fine. Remember the nature of these forums. The folks that got perfect cars are less likely to post here.

Reactions: Leftysmasher
How big a difference would you say there is with it as compared to the first one ? Just faster or anything else ?
During normal operation (for us), like entering a destination to the navigation and listening to music, change settings, the difference is minimal. I wouldn’t even pay $500 to have it retrofitted.

You’ll notice the speed difference if you zoom / drag around be map. Also the browser speed is improved but I don’t use it. USB music initial loading is also faster.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
I got a good car and I post all the time ;)... @Leftysmasher ...having owned three Tesla’s in 5years I would go for range all the time ..the 75 is just such a s small battery for weight of this car ..the 100 charge curve is so much better as well
Thank you for your help. If I can get around 200 miles on a charge for a trip, going around 75mph in average weather conditions (i live in the PNW) then I should be good with the 75D. I have quite a few super chargers around 40 miles apart from each other. The problem with the P100D with 22" wheels is range is around 250 miles going around 75 mph again in average weather conditions so the delta between the X75D and the XP100D now is around 40 miles or so? Of course the performance is another factor altogether and the looks of the 22" wheels are awesome though the compromise is the ride.

Getting 200miles in 75d is stretching it at 75mph ...also assumes at lower SOC u are near a charger ...real world on my P100 driving on 22s about 75mph is around 210 miles ...I live in SoCal where there are plenty of superchargers so I take it down around 9% SOC most times and start with 90% I never charge to 100% ...my co worker who has X 75D usually gets practical range <170 miles driving same conditions I do but he has 20s

Thank you for your help. If I can get around 200 miles on a charge for a trip, going around 75mph in average weather conditions (i live in the PNW) then I should be good with the 75D. I have quite a few super chargers around 40 miles apart from each other. The problem with the P100D with 22" wheels is range is around 250 miles going around 75 mph again in average weather conditions so the delta between the X75D and the XP100D now is around 40 miles or so? Of course the performance is another factor altogether and the looks of the 22" wheels are awesome though the compromise is the ride.

200 miles on a 75D is gonna be cutting it close. I have a 90D and even with 20" wheels, driving in 75-80mph California traffic I struggled to get 200 miles on a full charge. That said, driving even a little slower (e.g. 65-70mph) makes a huge difference and you might get 200 miles if you watch your Wh/mile closely (I think wk057 said 327Wh/mile is the target for rated range for 75D and 90D). 22" wheels knock off about 10-20% range, but IMO, most of that loss occurs at city driving speeds and higher highway speeds. Lately in warm weather while cruising at 65-70mph I've been able to get my 90D with 22" wheels down to under 350Wh/mile.

During normal operation (for us), like entering a destination to the navigation and listening to music, change settings, the difference is minimal. I wouldn’t even pay $500 to have it retrofitted.

You’ll notice the speed difference if you zoom / drag around be map. Also the browser speed is improved but I don’t use it. USB music initial loading is also faster.

Sounds like the new MCU is a nice to have nit necessarily a must have. Will have to try one out next time at an SC

I have the 4/2017 version. The FWDs slammed so hard.

Took it to SC. They replaced sensors and sent it to a bodyshop. I got the car back with significant amount of aluminum dusts inside the car. I guess something really changed inside the door as they called “retrofit”.
View attachment 306157

Did your FWD's always slam hard ? or was it a one time thing that caused damage that required the bodyshop visit ?

Also do you know if they replaced the FWD's as a retrofit, or do you think it was just something inside them or adding sensors ? ...and is the FWD blind area less now, and are you happy withe FWD's since you had your retrofit ?