Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X noticeable changes from 2016 to now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stand corrected I was talking about AP2.5 mid 2017 ..I held off getting my X for a year so I could specifically get 2.5 and was waiting for all the quality issues to go away ..I had early 2013 S than 2014 S ..and the quality differences were notable ..I’m usually early adopter but in case of Tesla’s glad I wasn’t :p
Quality issues will never go away. They fix some issues and introduce new ones. Between my 2016 and 2018, I can see that's exactly the case. My 2018 FWDs (both of them) have issues closing, while my 2016 had issue opening. My 2018 hood up front was dented on delivery but I didn't care for it. The panel gaps were as bad as before. The 2018 bench seat button stopped working. Numerous squeaks/squeals after a month or 2, even worse than my 2016.

@outie curious on ur FWD issues mine was Jan build vin ~81k what issues in closing ?
On passenger side, the door would close 90% and stops with obstacle detected error. A second closing usually closes it. The issue is that if I walk away while it closes I might not have known it didn’t close all the way. While there’s an audible alert when I am parked outside and am walking away from the car it’s not very obvious. SC said they’ve ordered pinch sensor and it needs to go to body shop for installation. This issue happens about 50% of the time.

On my driver side, it wouldn’t close at all with obstacles detected. I have to override it from the screen by holding it al the way until it closes completely. This happens about 10% of time but has been happening more frequently.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I stand corrected I was talking about AP2.5 mid 2017 ..I held off getting my X for a year so I could specifically get 2.5 and was waiting for all the quality issues to go away ..I had early 2013 S than 2014 S ..and the quality differences were notable ..I’m usually early adopter but in case of Tesla’s glad I wasn’t :p

Did you notice much of a difference with 2.5 ? And isn’t 2.5 retrofittable for free to all 2.0 owners ?

I sat in an X at the store yesterday. They have changed the FWD to solve the “paint rubbing” issue by changing the sheet metal design on the X door frame and adding a rubber stopper in a different spot on the falcon wing itself.

I also feel they’ve changed the way the center console cup holder covers “slide and lock.” No way to confirm this visually, but my X is only a year old and it feels different.

I sat in an X at the store yesterday. They have changed the FWD to solve the “paint rubbing” issue by changing the sheet metal design on the X door frame and adding a rubber stopper in a different spot on the falcon wing itself.

I also feel they’ve changed the way the center console cup holder covers “slide and lock.” No way to confirm this visually, but my X is only a year old and it feels different.

does the paint rub on your FWD's, Seattle Tom ?

I have a March 2018-build X 100D. Ordered every option except the larger wheels and the Performance upgrade.

Powered raising/lowering of the seatbelt height adjusters

What? I don't have that.

MCU 2 seems to be really buggy now

Still super buggy. Tesla has fixed some bugs but, for instance, still no web browser. I can't tell the difference in performance over my 2013 Model S with 3G connection.

#4. More squeaks around the car

My new X has a lot more squeaks and rattles than my early 2013 Model S with 100,000 miles had. Hard to tell where they are coming from, but I suspect either the FWDs or the second row seats.

That is a well known FWD door problem. It always slammed hard cause the paint inside scratched..

An owner of an older X, upon observing my FWD operation, said that mine had a new rubber bumper on the door and indent on the car body at the point where his experienced this paint scratching problem.

Yes, there is a small spot on each door where it’s rubbed through. I should have put a bit of clear plastic tape over it early on but just forgot.

The SC said they’ll fix the paint with a body shop when I’m ready. Just not a priority for me since it’s a minor issue...

I see. Other than that they work perfectly ? And no leaking or water pouring In if you open them when it rains ?

Doesn’t look like too many changes since mid 2017 until now.

There have been a few changes like MCU2 and the new grey dash trim (replacing the silver trim) and maybe the additional interior FWD sensor to prevent it closing on your head. The new folding bench middle row seat option was also introduced late 2017 and real leather replaced by synthetic vegan leather for all colours (was previously only white) at about the same time. Also may have tweaked the suspension geometry for the now default low ride height - related to the infamous acceleration shudder.