Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X now available with round steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
18j9o7pyjdaa1.jpg

Yeah, a few months in and still not happy with the turn signal situation… always vague

Not sure about yoke either… glad this is being offered but I can’t tell from the side photo how much of the wheel will obstruct the view of the instrument cluster.

No issues with the yoke after 4 months and 5,000 miles. No problem with the turn signals either. The only thing I wish they would address is the horn situation.
I keep inadvertently hitting the windshield washer. Can’t be good to wipe dirt or dust without water. Maybe if it required a double click instead of a mere swipe. I do like the swipe for the turn signals.

And it's out of stock... Was also really hoping for the stalks too. I'm also not crazy about spending 150k for a car then bring charged extra, and having the car in the shop for who knows how long, for a key and steering wheel..
The round wheel is extra... it's a modification. I guess I dont see how having paid $150K has anything to do with it?
I am also willing to bet that it's just a mobile service visit in your driveway.

The round wheel is extra... it's a modification. I guess I dont see how having paid $150K has anything to do with it?
I am also willing to bet that it's just a mobile service visit in your driveway.
Back in the old days that much money got you a wheel and a key.... They weren't extras. In fact, back in those days, a car that cost a quarter of that came with those things.

I'm just hoping they don't charge extra to have the horn be a horn... If they ever get around to that, that is.

Back in the old days that much money got you a wheel and a key.... They weren't extras. In fact, back in those days, a car that cost a quarter of that came with those things.

I'm just hoping they don't charge extra to have the horn be a horn... If they ever get around to that, that is.

It's not like they didn't give us something to open the doors with or turn the car. They made a design choice of going with a yoke. They finally gave in to give people who what a round wheel, so they are now proving a choice. And they are providing a way to retrofit. If they didn't then the other part of the internet would toast them for not doing so (see the threads about the red brake calipers). I am not here to defend Tesla on this. I just don't understand why so many are annoyed that there's a choice available now.

Reactions: henderrj
Because Tesla said there wouldn't be an option for the round wheel. They didn't say "not right now" or "we don't plan on it".... They said "we will not do that". I get annoyed when people lie to me. I get even more annoyed when their lies cost me money. If they wanted to be fair they should give retrofits for free (since it's now free).

For whatever reason my phone doesn't work with the car. So the way they gave me to open my car was a stupid ass card to rub on things. I ordered a car that came with keys and they delivered one without keys... Another lie. Hell, the site still has pictures up showing games on the rear screen.

Moral of the story... Literally nobody was like "please take away the round steering wheel, stalks, key fobs and the horn". Not a single one of these was done to benefit the customer. Why on earth people feel the need to defend Tesla on these points is beyond me. If you don't mind the stupid card to open a car or the lack of stalks, then great, carry on.

Reactions: nativewolf and pp61
Because Tesla said there wouldn't be an option for the round wheel. They didn't say "not right now" or "we don't plan on it".... They said "we will not do that". I get annoyed when people lie to me. I get even more annoyed when their lies cost me money. If they wanted to be fair they should give retrofits for free (since it's now free).

For whatever reason my phone doesn't work with the car. So the way they gave me to open my car was a stupid ass card to rub on things. I ordered a car that came with keys and they delivered one without keys... Another lie. Hell, the site still has pictures up showing games on the rear screen.

Moral of the story... Literally nobody was like "please take away the round steering wheel, stalks, key fobs and the horn". Not a single one of these was done to benefit the customer. Why on earth people feel the need to defend Tesla on these points is beyond me. If you don't mind the stupid card to open a car or the lack of stalks, then great, carry on.

There is a vast difference between intentionally telling a lie and saying what you believe to be the truth. People do the latter all the time, in complete innocence. I truly believe that nobody at Tesla thought they would offer a round steering wheel. But, as Franz (effectively) said, demand is a lever for any manufacturer who expects to make a difference in the world. They realized many people wouldn't buy the S or X unless it had around steering wheel. So, they now offer one.

In your case, you decided to buy the car in spite of the fact that it had a yoke. Why in the world are you complaining now because you have to pay to get a round steering wheel? You agreed to a purchase and you knew what you were getting, I don't understand how you can blame a company for your having to pay to get it to be something other than what you knew it was when you bought it!

The "keys" thing, okay I get that. That's a bit irritating. But it's not a big expense. And, what they gave you, works. And many, many people have commented online how much they like it. So it's hardly the same thing as the yoke, which many people clearly do not like, even though many do. Myself, I'm with you and prefer the fobs, so I get your point. I just don't think it's that big a deal, especially since they offer fobs as an option. Then again, you probably wouldn't have said anything about that if it was the only thing. Accumulation of frustration does drive us a little more.

Reactions: Bigriver and msm859
There is a vast difference between intentionally telling a lie and saying what you believe to be the truth. People do the latter all the time, in complete innocence. I truly believe that nobody at Tesla thought they would offer a round steering wheel. But, as Franz (effectively) said, demand is a lever for any manufacturer who expects to make a difference in the world. They realized many people wouldn't buy the S or X unless it had around steering wheel. So, they now offer one.

In your case, you decided to buy the car in spite of the fact that it had a yoke. Why in the world are you complaining now because you have to pay to get a round steering wheel? You agreed to a purchase and you knew what you were getting, I don't understand how you can blame a company for your having to pay to get it to be something other than what you knew it was when you bought it!

The "keys" thing, okay I get that. That's a bit irritating. But it's not a big expense. And, what they gave you, works. And many, many people have commented online how much they like it. So it's hardly the same thing as the yoke, which many people clearly do not like, even though many do. Myself, I'm with you and prefer the fobs, so I get your point. I just don't think it's that big a deal, especially since they offer fobs as an option. Then again, you probably wouldn't have said anything about that if it was the only thing. Accumulation of frustration does drive us a little more.

There is a difference without a distinction. I don't really care on the motivation of the lie. Tesla said "we will not do x". All they had to do was say "We don't plan to do x". It's not hard. Musk was even asked directly if there was "any chance of offering it" and he said "no". Like I said, nobody was clamoring for the yoke. It got vast and immediate push back. The entire conception was bad and most firsthand experiences were bad as well early on. I decided to purchase a car 2 months ago based on the understanding that they were not going to offer a real steering wheel. I would have waited 2 months to save $750. They knew 2 months they were going to do this but didn't tell anyone because they didn't want to hurt their numbers.

When Tesla was a small niche company selling 10,000k cars a year (when i bought my first one) I forgave them for lots of things. When they removed the nose cone a couple months after i bought an S I was pissed. But they were a small company trying to improve rapidly. They sold a million cars last year....there is no excuse for the way they operate now aside from greed. No other car maker randomly changes features, (here's a bigger screen in the rear, here's a real steering wheel, here's better headlights, ect. ect.). They know they are going to offer these things in advance, but they choose not to tell anyone or do it on any given time interval (like literally every other car maker in the world). Why? Why do they do that? because they want you to buy the car now, not tomorrow. They know they are going to drop the price (by freaking 10-15%) but mums the word.

There is 100% no excuse for not giving fobs. I don't care that "It's not a big expense"....you know who it's less of an expense for....Tesla. Do you think it actually costs $200 to make a fob? I don't care that other people like using the card, good for them. If Tesla wants to give them cards great. My day-to-day experience, coming from my last X, went down so Tesla can make a couple hundred extra bucks. Did Tesla even tell me I wasn't getting a key for my car....nope. That was a nice delivery day surprise. I keep checking the store to order one and they are never in stock. Some people with preexisting orders have gotten them from service for free but not others. If not that many people want the fobs, and that's why they stopped giving them with the car, then it probably wouldn't hurt Tesla to give them to people that ordered the car before they decided to remove them for free. If not that many people want them, why are they never in stock? Either nobody wants them, and they should be free/cheap/in stock or more people want them then I keep hearing about....

The accumulation of frustration is based in the fact that when I write someone a check for $150,000 the experience shouldn't be akin to a game show. Will I get a key...will my kids be able to play games on the rear screen....will i be able to honk at the car swerving into my lane without looking at the wheel...will I have a cable to charge my car......who knows. "Here, buy this car based on what we say, but don't hold us accountable for what we say because 'reasons'" Before I bought my last X the sales room let me borrow one for a weekend. I couldn't even see one of these before buying it, let alone drive it. Guess we just have to roll the dice :)

Reactions: nativewolf
There is a difference without a distinction. I don't really care on the motivation of the lie. Tesla said "we will not do x". All they had to do was say "We don't plan to do x". It's not hard. Musk was even asked directly if there was "any chance of offering it" and he said "no". Like I said, nobody was clamoring for the yoke. It got vast and immediate push back. The entire conception was bad and most firsthand experiences were bad as well early on. I decided to purchase a car 2 months ago based on the understanding that they were not going to offer a real steering wheel. I would have waited 2 months to save $750. They knew 2 months they were going to do this but didn't tell anyone because they didn't want to hurt their numbers.

When Tesla was a small niche company selling 10,000k cars a year (when i bought my first one) I forgave them for lots of things. When they removed the nose cone a couple months after i bought an S I was pissed. But they were a small company trying to improve rapidly. They sold a million cars last year....there is no excuse for the way they operate now aside from greed. No other car maker randomly changes features, (here's a bigger screen in the rear, here's a real steering wheel, here's better headlights, ect. ect.). They know they are going to offer these things in advance, but they choose not to tell anyone or do it on any given time interval (like literally every other car maker in the world). Why? Why do they do that? because they want you to buy the car now, not tomorrow. They know they are going to drop the price (by freaking 10-15%) but mums the word.

There is 100% no excuse for not giving fobs. I don't care that "It's not a big expense"....you know who it's less of an expense for....Tesla. Do you think it actually costs $200 to make a fob? I don't care that other people like using the card, good for them. If Tesla wants to give them cards great. My day-to-day experience, coming from my last X, went down so Tesla can make a couple hundred extra bucks. Did Tesla even tell me I wasn't getting a key for my car....nope. That was a nice delivery day surprise. I keep checking the store to order one and they are never in stock. Some people with preexisting orders have gotten them from service for free but not others. If not that many people want the fobs, and that's why they stopped giving them with the car, then it probably wouldn't hurt Tesla to give them to people that ordered the car before they decided to remove them for free. If not that many people want them, why are they never in stock? Either nobody wants them, and they should be free/cheap/in stock or more people want them then I keep hearing about....

The accumulation of frustration is based in the fact that when I write someone a check for $150,000 the experience shouldn't be akin to a game show. Will I get a key...will my kids be able to play games on the rear screen....will i be able to honk at the car swerving into my lane without looking at the wheel...will I have a cable to charge my car......who knows. "Here, buy this car based on what we say, but don't hold us accountable for what we say because 'reasons'" Before I bought my last X the sales room let me borrow one for a weekend. I couldn't even see one of these before buying it, let alone drive it. Guess we just have to roll the dice :)

I think you were right, it does feel like rolling the dice! In my case I like the way Tesla does business. I don't like the "wait all the way through to one year" thing. The constant upgrades are kind of a cool deal. Yes, we may get shafted, but it's part of the game and we all know what's happening.

The same business plan gives us constant updates to our software. That, is something I really like! Not sure we can have one without the other.

It will be great when other manufacturers can catch up to tesla. I've owned a number of mercedes, and love them. But I can't see myself buying one of their evs. Not even the eqs suv. Much good about it! But too much missing.

Back to Tesla, Elon Musk's overall Constitution, the very thing that made possible the build up of tesla, is also the thing that makes the experience of dealing with Tesla so frustrating. He does not like direct communication with humans. Always want a computer in between. That results in some, shall we say, interesting issues with tesla. The very ones that you are struggling with now. And I do empathize!