Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X or Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on your insurance company. My Model X premium is pretty much comparable to my old Prius' premium.

D2iqquV.jpg\

I heard lots of reliability complaints from Consumer Reports but I've got no problem with my Model X for the past 3 years.

The only maintenance/repair so far is 4 20" tires for $1,400 after 3 years which is more than my older Model S which was $1,050 for 4 19" tires.

If you are concerned about expensive repairs, you should consider the Extended Service Agreement (Extended Warranty) which is only available to the S and X.

My Model S was running fine until its standard warranty ran out and fortunately, I bought the Extended Service Agreement which was well worth its cost multiple times.

Electricity is too cheap so it is not worth my time to wait at Supercharger for "free". Time spent in waiting for a charge is a premium.

Thanks so much. The insurance on my Mercedes-Benz ML-350 with all-state is about $400 per 6 months but when asked about Tesla X, it is about $1200 per 6 month and 3 is about $500 less. Looks like need to shop around.

Model X over Model 3 (Y is mostly a 3)

Physical Wiper Control
Two Sensitivity Levels Auto Wiper
Real Towing (X only)
Free SuperCharging
Safer due to Weight (my opinion)
Nicer Next button on Wheel
Heated Wheel
True Key Fob (this might be a Con)
No ripping liner under car
No bumper ripping off
No roof glass cracking
Two screens
Much larger main screen.
Slightly better EPA range (Ton on S)
Powered lift gate (Y might have too)
Cornering lights
More sensors (mostly doors and roof for FWD)
Smoother Ride
Quieter Ride (extremely important to me and Model 3 was unacceptable for me and Y will likely be similar)
Bolstered Seats
Front Windshield unreal (X only)
Perfect ProClip mount (no space right side of steering wheel on 3/Y)
Dark headliner (might be light on S)
Real glovebox button
All doors powered (X Only, sometimes annoying)
All doors aware of their environment
Plastic rockers and wheel wells (X Only, maybe Y too)
Much better in the Snow (Model 3 AWD with snows surprisingly poor, Y will be the same, rear bias)
Cleaner OBDII access
Dynamic Air Suspension (the most important difference)
No frozen door handles (S could be as bad)
Better Audio (bigger sub, 3 is no slouch)
Storage Space (X is unreal, Y should be pretty good)
Unlimited mile warranty on battery and drives for 8 years (very important for some folks)
True battery heater (this is as much a plus as a minus)
Extended Warranty Option (very important to me)

You forgot cachet. It matters. Different degrees to different people but it matters.

People will give up a lot to get a Taycan for cachet because it is objectively inferior to Tesla by almost every metric that actually matters.

Model X is a premium vehicle from the the premium EV brand.

No one is going to accuse you of being a coupon clipper with your 35K white/black/aero SR X. That configuration doesn’t exist.

How is it that your model 3 premium is 50% more than the model X? I also have 2017 X and 2018 3 and my premiums are pretty much inverse of yours.

Prior to my 2017 Model X, I also got 2012 Model S for years and both S and X have got a very comparable rate as if they are $30,000 Prius!

1) By the time I got Model 3, the press was complaining cheaper Model 3 was actually much more expensive to repair in even a simple collision. The expensive Model 3 premium is mostly on the "Collision" part and "Property Damage" part.

2) My Model 3 is 1 year newer (but that's the same scenario as yours, so I don't know.)

3) The primary driver for Model 3 is a decade younger than I am.

4) I guess each insurance company has its own way to calculate its premium.

Last edited:
You forgot cachet. It matters. Different degrees to different people but it matters
I was thinking of the same thing but from the opposite angle. I don’t want to stand out because of my car. The Y is more appealing to me from that perspective.

I have an X that is our main long distance vehicle. The air suspension and the electronic doors are its main luxuries that I care about. But it is much bigger than I need and the cachet of it is in the negative column for me. So I actually think often of this X vs Y question. There is no such thing as a perfect car, and there are always competing needs and wants. At this point, no idea which I’ll end up with for my next car purchase.

Reactions: mswlogo
I am seriously looking at a Tesla right now and here is where I am a little stuck:

For the Y:
- I can get the performance model (and features with)
- It looks like it has the best of the previous models in it

Against the Y:
- I'm always worried about getting the first model of anything for problems
- I won't likely get my car until December/January if I ordered it today (and my lease is up end of June)

For the X:
- I can get it in time for my current lease ending
- The X Falcon Wing Doors look really nice

Against the X:
- I can't afford the performance model (and features with)
- The X Falcon Wing Doors get a LOT of mixed reviews, often more bad than good

I don't necessarily need a bigger vehicle but I do like the SUV over a car. I'm also not sure if the X will get cheaper once the Y takes the spotlight? It would be frustrating to have a lease and next year they drop the price of an X by 30%.

I'd love Tesla owner's opinions and perspective on this. Both vehicles look beautiful and I think I'd enjoy moving into the Tesla world.

- I won't likely get my car until December/January if I ordered it today (and my lease is up end of June)
I don’t think the Y will be that long of a wait, especially if you are ordering a performance.

It would be frustrating to have a lease and next year they drop the price of an X by 30%.
I don’t think the price of a new X will drop by 30%, but if a significant refresh comes out, I do believe that will affect the resale value of the current cars. But I think you said you are planning to lease.... so a drop in price isn’t really your problem. If your concern is that you may not get the lowest price possible, then I recommend against an X. Many X owners have watched the price drop precipitously.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
We chose the X over the Y because we have 2 small children less than 3 years old, and it would be great to have a vehicle that can also relatively easily cart around 2 grandparents as well in one vehicle. I find that to be likely challenging in the Y, and the Y 7 seater isn't available until 2021.

The X is 11 inches longer, which is an entire class bigger (e.g. like comparing a Ford Escape to a Ford Explorer). Obviously, some people will want or need the larger vehicle for the space and capacity and some won't.

I think with 1 kid, we'd get the Y. With 2 kids, we decided the X for that additional space and to be able to haul their friends around in the future as well.

There are, of course additional reasons why we went with the X, but that is the main reason over the Y.

P.s. we take delivery of our X a week from Wednesday. I have no doubt that once that happens, a huge X price cut will be announced as that seems to be the trend when I get something new and expensive.

• Funny
Reactions: KentuckyX and IdaX
We chose the X over the Y because we have 2 small children less than 3 years old, and it would be great to have a vehicle that can also relatively easily cart around 2 grandparents as well in one vehicle. I find that to be likely challenging in the Y, and the Y 7 seater isn't available until 2021.

The X is 11 inches longer, which is an entire class bigger (e.g. like comparing a Ford Escape to a Ford Explorer). Obviously, some people will want or need the larger vehicle for the space and capacity and some won't.

I think with 1 kid, we'd get the Y. With 2 kids, we decided the X for that additional space and to be able to haul their friends around in the future as well.

There are, of course additional reasons why we went with the X, but that is the main reason over the Y.

P.s. we take delivery of our X a week from Wednesday. I have no doubt that once that happens, a huge X price cut will be announced as that seems to be the trend when I get something new and expensive.

One last note - we are much more likely to replace our Model 3 with a Model Y. I don't see much advantage of getting a Model 3 over a Model Y in the future. Similar range, similar looks, and more space, at a similarish price point as well.

In my peon opinion, I see the Model Y being more of a Model 3 killer than a Model X. Again, the X is a different size class that some people want or need for various circumstances. Plus it is the luxury vehicle that will still appeal to many.

Reactions: Venkatsg
I don’t think the Y will be that long of a wait, especially if you are ordering a performance.

I don’t think the price of a new X will drop by 30%, but if a significant refresh comes out, I do believe that will affect the resale value of the current cars. But I think you said you are planning to lease.... so a drop in price isn’t really your problem. If your concern is that you may not get the lowest price possible, then I recommend against an X. Many X owners have watched the price drop precipitously.

That's a fair point around the value - but it would also drop the lease price if I had waited but this isn't a major point.

WIth the Y I called the dealership as the rep I was E-mailing remotely is incredibly unresponsive (he only answers half my questions and takes 3 weeks to reply again). They told me about the time - but it can be hard to get information from Tesla I find.