Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X -> PHEV : Regrettably after 4 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living with an EV with shared lamppost charging hasn’t been easy for the past few years but it’s been worth it due to the environment, the car and the overall experience. Pleasantly there’s been a huge rise in EVs using the local infrastructure but it’s become impossible to rely on getting a charge and that just compromises the utility of the vehicle to a point where I’ll go for a PHEV when my lease is up.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a PHEV that can pack a ton of gear and has super high utility for packing up a family and moving them around the country?

Shame they don’t let you run a cable under the pavement!

:(:(
Sorry - No idea on PHEVs but I assume you have look all sorts of solutions (some of which I have no idea if they exist in certain areas or might not be possible)?

Mobile Charging Services - Or charging fairies or something like that.
Workplace Charging
Talk to Council (I'm sure I have heard of this working to get more chargers for on-street parking)
Local Supercharger - probably vary depending weekly mileage.

Reactions: Boogaloo
I knew I had seen it somewhere!

Charge Fairy

Not surprised a service like this has shown up, with so many people unable to get EV chargers installed at their propertys its a veritable gold mine and quite convenient I imagine for the right person.

They would only have to let me down once though so that I couldn't get to work and I'd be fuming!

Interesting that the BMW weights 50% more than a Tesla and has a 2year service interval while Tesla recommend a 6,500 mile alignment check on the basis that their cars are so heavy.

The leasing site seems to have the wrong weight. The X5 is 2510kg according to the BMW site which does surprisingly make it a little heavier than a Model X.

This car seems to be the best reviewed of the similar sized hybrid EVs at the moment.

I must admit that with the delay to the new Model X and increased price I am considering if I want another one or not. I probably will stick with it but when it is more expensive than the likes of the BMW X7 (sadly not available as a PHEV) and presumably the next model Range Rover - those are some very nice cars. I am awaiting the EQS to see how it compares to the Model S also and then the EQS SUV versus the Model X next year. So far waiting for competing cars has proven disappointing with them being slower to catch Tesla than I expected.

My friend swapped their Mitsubishi Outlander for a Model X. They have space for a home charger, but my point is that they decided the two vehicles were pretty much like for like as far as usability, so you could go the opposite way.

For us it was a choice between the Model X and Volvo XC90 hybrid. After a lengthy test drive in both the Tesla was an easy choice. But we have home charging, so never an issue. The XC90 is a nice vehicle with plenty of space inside. I just didn’t think the hybrid drivetrain was in the same class as the MX and the UI wasn’t as intuitive. The Tesla had more of a wow factor too!

We really do need to start getting a grip with workplace charging.
Doesn’t have to be free, why not charge something like £0.15 per kWh for a slow charge whilst you’re at work?
Employees are seriously dragging their feet on this one.
The hospital where I work wouldn’t even consider it when I brought it up with the “head of sustainability” :rolleyes:

Cheaper possibly. “Much better” I’m gonna have to disagree.

If you cannot charge an EV at home any combustion car is infinity better.

Imagine having to deal with public charging infrastructure every day! Not been able to preheat due to fear of using up charge, vampire drain causing a need to find a charger even if you don't use the car, paying significantly more for the electricity than anyone with a home charger.

The icing on the cake, the EV is the MORE expensive car. I know people on here run EVs with no home charging, I know 100% I couldn't do it, life is far too short to waste time worrying about how to fuel your car.

The hospital I work at doesn't even have enough parking space for staff, we are told to get the bus as an alternative if we complain about lack of parking. There is -100% chance of mass work placed charging on NHS sites.
Same problems here with NHS site parking issues and EV charging access, the nearest public car park with EV charging is a council run one which is continually blocked by council electric vans, when I spoke to parking office they said they were installed FOR the council vans and only if there was a space a member of the public could use it.
At one of our hospital sites we have a new multi-storey car park with 4 EV chargers but you need to sign up for a car parking permit AND apply for a charging permit to be able to use them, the list is huge and consultants are always put to the head of the queue, so a physiologist like me - even with 20 years' service and a 90 mile round trip cannot get a permit. I am so glad I managed to get the EV charger at home, otherwise I'd be having to use the superchargers constantly!

The hospital I work at doesn't even have enough parking space for staff, we are told to get the bus as an alternative if we complain about lack of parking. There is -100% chance of mass work placed charging on NHS sites.

The general hospital near me has two ‘council’ chargers which are almost permanently iced or have a resident PHEV sat there all day or blocked by portakabins or lorries. The problem is exacerbated by the fact parking charges for all were introduced a while ago, meaning that the car parks often have spaces unoccupied but all the roads around the hospital for some distance are double-parked all day. One unfortunate by product is that local retailers and others are losing trade as customers have nowhere to park so drive on instead.