Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Phone Key via Bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? No issues in 1.5 years using mine. I wouldn't want to go back to a fob because carrying keys feels like the past. But to each their own.

Just about 20% of the time, the Model 3 insists that I provide the Prox card to drive. Even if it just unlocked the car and let me in with the BT key. Highly annoying. Most of the time it works, but frequent failures. The fob always works (and never gets lost at the car wash).

Well the data connection thing kind of just happened to me today (1st time since March purchase). Around 1pm, Eastern time, my phone would don't connect to my Tesla, and I was in effect stranded. I had a good signal, and the Tesla was in a spot I have been many times, but the phone APP stayed grey, and would not connect. Tried the other app (Tesla Remote), and my apple watch app, and no connection, so I was stuck without a FOB. I called my wife for a rescue (she was a half hour away), and I kept trying to connect via the app, closing, it, rebooting my phone, etc. I also noticed that the "Tesla Remote" app showed my location where I had been 30 minutes prior??? After many attempts, and around 20 minutes, it connected, and i was able to unlock the car, and use the keyless drive. Called my wife as she was leaving the house thank god! I suspect that the Tesla Network was down for a bit today? What ever makes the connection to the cars data work?

Proximity sensor? I know there is a camera in there, and a card reader, I don't remember there being a proximity sensor.

The software just waits until you pull the door knob and then checks if your phone is near and if so it lets the door open. Since the S and X both have door sensors and bluetooth they could talk to the Tesla app on your phone when you press the button on the door and unlock if your phone is signed in. Don't see why you need different hardware for phone use. Sure, keycard would require different hardware, and it might not be so secure w/o the bluetooth antenna being able to test how far the phone is away, but you could turn off the door lock feature in the app based on location...

Proximity sensor? I know there is a camera in there, and a card reader, I don't remember there being a proximity sensor.

The software just waits until you pull the door knob and then checks if your phone is near and if so it lets the door open. Since the S and X both have door sensors and bluetooth they could talk to the Tesla app on your phone when you press the button on the door and unlock if your phone is signed in. Don't see why you need different hardware for phone use. Sure, keycard would require different hardware, and it might not be so secure w/o the bluetooth antenna being able to test how far the phone is away, but you could turn off the door lock feature in the app based on location...
Card reader = proximity sensor. The X and S do not have Bluetooth hardware, other than for media

Oh, so when I unlock the car I am doing it via cellular? That makes sense. What tech does the FOB use to communicate?

If you mean when using your phone, yes. All models can do that over cellular. The 3, Y and presumably the refreshed 2021 (which now sounds more like 2022) X and S adds Bluetooth. The tech on the existing fob is Tesla proprietary.