Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X price cut by $2000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beware inventory cars have free supercharging but some have no wheels!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    782.7 KB · Views: 91
What about a solar-powered car so I don’t need free supercharging
I have a solar powered car. The panels on the garage roof charge the battery in my Tesla.

A more direct solar car falls apart on physics.

The best sun light at sea level (sun directly overhead) is about one kW per square meter. (A little more at altitude, but not much - sunlight in space at our orbit is about 1.3 kW per square meter.

Good mass production solar panels are about 22% efficient. State of the art lab multi junction panels are somewhere in the low forties.

A typical large car is about two meters by five meters.

If you cover the entire surface with modern production panels, when the sun is directly overhead it'll produce 2.2 kW of power.

EPA testing shows a modern Tesla needs around 10 kW at 50 mph in steady state...

I have a solar powered car. The panels on the garage roof charge the battery in my Tesla.

The best sun light at sea level (sun directly overhead) is about one kW per square meter. (A little more at altitude, but not much - sunlight in space at our orbit is about 1.3 kW per square meter.

Good mass production solar panels are about 22% efficient. State of the art lab multi junction panels are somewhere in the low forties.

If you cover the entire surface with modern production panels, when the sun is directly overhead it'll produce 2.2 kW of power.

EPA testing shows a modern Tesla needs around 10 kW at 50 mph in steady state...
Ok how about this: Big advance in wireless charging of moving electric cars | Stanford News

Oh, that's doable. The infrastructure involved will be pretty expensive, and the efficiency probably fairly low, but it's certainly an option. Until we have humans that don't need to stop for something to eat or drink or a restroom and have to drive for 8+ hours non-stop for some reason, I have trouble believing it's the most practical or cost effective solution - and it definitely won't be cheap or free. I'd rather have free Supercharging instead.

If you're in that much of a hurry, why aren't you flying?

Oh, that's doable. The infrastructure involved will be pretty expensive, and the efficiency probably fairly low, but it's certainly an option. Until we have humans that don't need to stop for something to eat or drink or a restroom and have to drive for 8+ hours non-stop for some reason, I have trouble believing it's the most practical or cost effective solution - and it definitely won't be cheap or free. I'd rather have free Supercharging instead.

If you're in that much of a hurry, why aren't you flying?
Not in a hurry. For $100K I plan on living in my Tesla and being driven around in perpetuity

Which reminds me I’d also like to request one of the seats be a commode

With those figures in mind the only use for solar panels on a car is to keep the AC running on a hot day. At a guess the best you’ll probably get is somewhere in the region of 10-20 kW charge in a day. Still it’s a 10% increase in range.

Reactions: Saghost