Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Price Increase 03/15/22. +$10K LR and +$12K Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure glad I already pulled the trigger on my order….. I had been kicking tires for months.
C7A8A8B4-F6CA-49FC-B636-541F3F0E437C.png

Last edited:
Question is will you see your car if all supply is meeting demand of new price? There are folks that ordered LR MX Q4 of 2020 and still have not received their cars.

Ordered my MX LR on 5/2021 and still no word. EDD just keeps getting bumped every month.

Ordered my MS LR on 12/2021 with EDD of 7/2022. Order was placed right after the price increase for the S. Mid jan of 2022, I received email and notification with vin to pick the car up.

Cheaper your car. The longer you’ll have to wait (indefinitely) since there is not a latest by date. Or they just ask if you want to cancel and refund you the $100 they took from you and resell your spot to someone willing to pay $15k-$25k more lol

From a different perspective. Tesla does not want to make the Model X. It's very difficult with a small margin because of lack of mass production. They make it to stay relevant for now at the higher end level. Now that they can raise prices with supply pressure they can just keep pressing the price and make money on it.

From a different perspective. Tesla does not want to make the Model X. It's very difficult with a small margin because of lack of mass production. They make it to stay relevant for now at the higher end level. Now that they can raise prices with supply pressure they can just keep pressing the price and make money on it.
Think this is spot on
- Elon has continued to highlight the complexity of this build (2/9/2022 tweet here)
- MX Plaid is cheaper than MS Plaid, but they both have the components (i.e. 1020hp tri motor, torque vectoring) and the MX has additional features (6 seats, gullwing doors, auto-open doors) so I assume the cost to build a MX is higher than MS, but selling for a lower price

Before my wife & I placed our order for the MXP last Sat, we looked (even upcoming EV models) and no other EV can sit more than 5 at any price point except the MY.

Think this is spot on
- Elon has continued to highlight the complexity of this build (2/9/2022 tweet here)
- MX Plaid is cheaper than MS Plaid, but they both have the components (i.e. 1020hp tri motor, torque vectoring) and the MX has additional features (6 seats, gullwing doors, auto-open doors) so I assume the cost to build a MX is higher than MS, but selling for a lower price

Before my wife & I placed our order for the MXP last Sat, we looked (even upcoming EV models) and no other EV can sit more than 5 at any price point except the MY.

Think this is spot on

I have two Teslas and love Tesla, but I "think" you're crazy. Especially if more seating is your trigger. Here is my theory and I can be completely wrong. I see the new Model X massively depreciating in 2-3 years when there are other 6+ seating options. The yoke and screen shifting will alienate over 50% of men and probably 75% + of women when it comes to resale. It is a very large car to park. Friends who have the Plaid tell me how frustrating it is to park. The X will be worse because of its size. 6 months in and "i'm still getting used to it" is the common theme. I have a MSLR on order. "If" it comes with a wheel at that time, I might take it. Also the replacement parts for the X will be a fortune. Reliability will be an issue. Then I think Tesla will stop making the X within 3-5 years, once the Cybertruck and Semi is full swing and whatever else they make at that time. You can not make money with a low production car. "Settling" for a $100k plus asset that deprciates is crazy.

I have two Teslas and love Tesla, but I "think" you're crazy. Especially if more seating is your trigger. Here is my theory and I can be completely wrong. I see the new Model X massively depreciating in 2-3 years when there are other 6+ seating options. The yoke and screen shifting will alienate over 50% of men and probably 75% + of women when it comes to resale. It is a very large car to park. Friends who have the Plaid tell me how frustrating it is to park. The X will be worse because of its size. 6 months in and "i'm still getting used to it" is the common theme. I have a MSLR on order. "If" it comes with a wheel at that time, I might take it. Also the replacement parts for the X will be a fortune. Reliability will be an issue. Then I think Tesla will stop making the X within 3-5 years, once the Cybertruck and Semi is full swing and whatever else they make at that time. You can not make money with a low production car. "Settling" for a $100k plus asset that deprciates is crazy.
A cursory examination of the used market doesn't reveals that it's a bit more complicated than that. All new cars depreciate (except in this insane supply chain-constrained, gotta-have-it-now-and-i-am-flush-with-cash market), but Model X is performing INSANELY well compared to luxury SUV contemporaries. Compare it to the market for used Mercedes ML SUVs and tell me when you've reattached your jaw to your face.

I'm seeing 2017-2018 MX dual-motor (of some variety) examples going for $8X,000 That's nuts. That's NOT normal depreciation.

So...
While yes, "all" new cars depreciate, they do not all depreciate evenly. For me, the calculus is: Do I spend $1,000/mo on a modern full-size SUV and $500/mo to fuel it, all the while suffering steep depreciation? Or do I spend $1,500/mo on a Model X that barely depreciates and comes with 20% of the fuel costs?

Most of the money I put into the monthly payment will be recouped at sale; it's damned easy math, IMO.

PS: Relieved to have submitted my X order DAYS prior to the $10k price increase.

A cursory examination of the used market doesn't reveals that it's a bit more complicated than that. All new cars depreciate (except in this insane supply chain-constrained, gotta-have-it-now-and-i-am-flush-with-cash market), but Model X is performing INSANELY well compared to luxury SUV contemporaries. Compare it to the market for used Mercedes ML SUVs and tell me when you've reattached your jaw to your face.

I'm seeing 2017-2018 MX dual-motor (of some variety) examples going for $8X,000 That's nuts. That's NOT normal depreciation.

So...
While yes, "all" new cars depreciate, they do not all depreciate evenly. For me, the calculus is: Do I spend $1,000/mo on a modern full-size SUV and $500/mo to fuel it, all the while suffering steep depreciation? Or do I spend $1,500/mo on a Model X that barely depreciates and comes with 20% of the fuel costs?

Most of the money I put into the monthly payment will be recouped at sale; it's damned easy math, IMO.

PS: Relieved to have submitted my X order DAYS prior to the $10k price increase.
Have you compared non-Tesla SUVs recently? Some 2 year old ICE SUVs with low mileage are selling for more than their purchase price. With many brands having 6+ months waits on new vehicles and very low inventories, used vehicles are golden.

Used-car prices have been climbing for months. These 15 models are now worth more used than new. (yahoo.com)

So...

All used cars are selling for more now. Your X has a steering wheel. You could have bought a Model X 60 or 90 all day for around $55-65k before this insanity. I am "speculating" my theory for 2-3 years from now. Very limited people will want a used X without a warranty for a premium, high dollar amount without a real steering wheel as a family car. Especially when there are more choices. In two years if there will be 4-6 choices at $75-$85k for a new ride. Neither of us are correct, but do not think used car prices won't come back to earth once there is supply for new.

All used cars are selling for more now. Your X has a steering wheel. You could have bought a Model X 60 or 90 all day for around $55-65k before this insanity. I am "speculating" my theory for 2-3 years from now. Very limited people will want a used X without a warranty for a premium, high dollar amount without a real steering wheel as a family car. Especially when there are more choices. In two years if there will be 4-6 choices at $75-$85k for a new ride. Neither of us are correct, but do not think used car prices won't come back to earth once there is supply for new.
This is a reasonable assessment, but I think the current used-car market phenomenon is less pronounced with Tesla (ergo closer to the norm). I wouldn't have wanted anything less than a 90D. Current performance leads me to believe a 100D would be my real baseline (daily driver is a P3D+).

My strategy addresses the following factors:
1. The yoke isn't a problem. I can mod it to a steering wheel easily enough, anyway.
2. Post-refresh infotainment performance is night-and-day better than pre-refresh. If you've watched reviews, it's staggeringly better.
3. It's a brand new refresh. Every previous model year should -- absent the supply/demand insanity of the current market -- see values erode slightly due to their outdated infotainment.
4. My purchase is already positioned to give me $10k in upside because I purchased over the weekend, days before the increase. The price might drop by the time I take delivery, but it doesn't seem likely...
5. Availability of the refreshed Model X looks like it'll be garbage for quite a while. Some aren't willing to deal with that. Based on all the factors I can see from here, I might be able to purchase an X and immediate flip it for a (small) profit on Cars & Bids. I would rather keep it and drive it, of course, but it's nice to have options.

If you truly feel that inflation within the used market for X is so pronounced, I will give this significant consideration. I know the market has had a not-insignficant effect, but I didn't think my assessment of my X's residuals was quite so blue-sky. Perhaps you're right, but I'm certain reality will land me somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: shurik74
This is a reasonable assessment, but I think the current used-car market phenomenon is less pronounced with Tesla (ergo closer to the norm). I wouldn't have wanted anything less than a 90D. Current performance leads me to believe a 100D would be my real baseline (daily driver is a P3D+).

My strategy addresses the following factors:
1. The yoke isn't a problem. I can mod it to a steering wheel easily enough, anyway.
2. Post-refresh infotainment performance is night-and-day better than pre-refresh. If you've watched reviews, it's staggeringly better.
3. It's a brand new refresh. Every previous model year should -- absent the supply/demand insanity of the current market -- see values erode slightly due to their outdated infotainment.
4. My purchase is already positioned to give me $10k in upside because I purchased over the weekend, days before the increase. The price might drop by the time I take delivery, but it doesn't seem likely...
5. Availability of the refreshed Model X looks like it'll be garbage for quite a while. Some aren't willing to deal with that. Based on all the factors I can see from here, I might be able to purchase an X and immediate flip it for a (small) profit on Cars & Bids. I would rather keep it and drive it, of course, but it's nice to have options.

If you truly feel that inflation within the used market for X is so pronounced, I will give this significant consideration. I know the market has had a not-insignficant effect, but I didn't think my assessment of my X's residuals was quite so blue-sky. Perhaps you're right, but I'm certain reality will land me somewhere in the middle.
Good points as well. It’s all nonsense. We are talking about cars, not really important with what is going on in the world right now.

Reactions: wandl
I may not agree few points you said.
I have heard that Tesla removed 5/7 seats options from Plaid because they see 6 seats has more reservations.
I personally noticed all YT videos that I viewed have more 6 seats than others.
MX is not as big as you think and parking wouldn’t be a problem or your friends are not good in parking in general.
Model S/X are Tesla flagship vehicles, so I don’t think they would stop it even remove FWD.
We don’t know actual margin for MS and MX but there’s still a lot of people who’s waiting for delivery, so low production cars don’t mean less money.

It has virtually the same foot print as the S. 0.5" wider and 0.6" longer. Since the previous 2-3 year old X's have held their value better than nearly every ICE car, i don't agree. Even the 2016 X is holding up shockingly well and better than even the S because supply was constrained due to production halting for the refresh.

If I can't stand the yoke, I'll replace it with a regular steering wheel. It's not like the X is stuck with it. There are many aftermarket options for steering wheels and yoke completers.

I have heard that Tesla removed 5/7 seats options from Plaid because they see 6 seats has more reservations.
MX is not as big as you think and parking wouldn’t be a problem or your friends are not good in parking in general.
Model S/X are Tesla flagship vehicles, so I don’t think they would stop it even remove FWD.
We don’t know actual margin for MS and MX but there’s still a lot of people who’s waiting for delivery, so low production cars don’t mean less money.
Everything we are both saying is an opinion, but it is a fact low production cars, at low prices are not profitable. $130 k is a low price. That’s why Teslas entire business is streamlined. Bentleys are $300k, if the X cost that much it would be profitable. Musk has said a few months ago the Cybertruck would cost a million dollars if he were to make it now is because as it stands it is difficult to make abs production would be low. He could be exaggerating but he claims the X is extremely difficult to make. Same thing

Everything we are both saying is an opinion, but it is a fact low production cars, at low prices are not profitable. $130 k is a low price. That’s why Teslas entire business is streamlined. Bentleys are $300k, if the X cost that much it would be profitable. Musk has said a few months ago the Cybertruck would cost a million dollars if he were to make it now is because as it stands it is difficult to make abs production would be low. He could be exaggerating but he claims the X is extremely difficult to make. Same thing
IMO, if you said 130K is low price, then people would not be whining about tiny imperfect details, gaps.
Then we also don't know tesla profit margin on their vehicles.

IMO, if you said 130K is low price, then people would not be whining about tiny imperfect details, gaps.
Then we also don't know tesla profit margin on their vehicles.
$130k is a fortune for a car but a very low price for a car that isn’t mass produced. When I talk about price in this context, I’m regarding the manufacture. I have experience with motorized fertilizer machinery. It was quadruple the price the manufacturer low volume of a similar machine mass produced. Respectfully, this is general knowledge and factual to anyone who produces most any product that needs to be assembled.