Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X : Rear entertainment options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've looked around and have not seen rear entertainment options discussed (sorry if I missed it). For many people, myself included, this is a family car - used on road trips. Most cars of this size and utility that I've seen have options for fold-down flat screens, wireless headphones, etc to entertain the kiddos. I understand the FWDs would make it difficult/impossible for fold-down, but seat back might work?

Has as anyone heard anything on the topic? Is it "strap a tablet to the seat back" or give one to the kids to hold? I see the two USB ports facing row two...so at least we have power!

Sean

I've just implemented a system based on equipment I use in my home automation company. Take a look:

Attachments

• IMG_1909.jpg
    IMG_1909.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 332
I've just implemented a system based on equipment I use in my home automation company. Take a look:

That's pretty sweet!

1. How easy is it to get the iPads on and off?
2. How secure are they when attached?
3. How do you deal with audio - just standard earbuds plugged in?
4. How are the mounts attached to the seat? Removable?
5. And...how much would a rig like that cost? Outside of the case for the iPad and mount on the seat, anything else to it?

Really cool stuff, nice work!

Sean

That's pretty sweet!

1. How easy is it to get the iPads on and off?
2. How secure are they when attached?
3. How do you deal with audio - just standard earbuds plugged in?
4. How are the mounts attached to the seat? Removable?
5. And...how much would a rig like that cost? Outside of the case for the iPad and mount on the seat, anything else to it?

Really cool stuff, nice work!

Sean
Thanks Sean,
1&2. The iPads get fitted with a special case. It's a strong hold that'll handle any bump and practically live through an accident without coming off. Just a pull will take it off and a light alignment touch will get it docked. They can be turned while docked and be used both horizontally and vertically.
3. Since it's iPads, you can either Bluetooth your audio (with that annoying slight delay) or use any type of 3.5mm headphones. My kids use their Beats so that they can watch independent movies and I can listen to music.
4. I started off in Car audio back in the 80s. Started my own home theater and automation company in 2004. I've been using these docks for 6 years and decided to try by mounting them to the hard back cover of the front seats. They are permanently installed which means that I had to perforate the back seat covers. I had called my local Service team prior and found out that I could reorder them for $130 each if I changed my mind or if my project didn't work.
5.the iPad sleeves are $150 each. The Mounts are $200 each. The iPads that I purchased are the new 9.7" 32gb, non-cellular tablets. They cost $329 each. So about $1400 for the hardware.

I'm a dealer of the hardware and can sell it to anyone interested. I'm also about to start installing them for anyone interested.

Thanks Sean,
1&2. The iPads get fitted with a special case. It's a strong hold that'll handle any bump and practically live through an accident without coming off. Just a pull will take it off and a light alignment touch will get it docked. They can be turned while docked and be used both horizontally and vertically.
3. Since it's iPads, you can either Bluetooth your audio (with that annoying slight delay) or use any type of 3.5mm headphones. My kids use their Beats so that they can watch independent movies and I can listen to music.
4. I started off in Car audio back in the 80s. Started my own home theater and automation company in 2004. I've been using these docks for 6 years and decided to try by mounting them to the hard back cover of the front seats. They are permanently installed which means that I had to perforate the back seat covers. I had called my local Service team prior and found out that I could reorder them for $130 each if I changed my mind or if my project didn't work.
5.the iPad sleeves are $150 each. The Mounts are $200 each. The iPads that I purchased are the new 9.7" 32gb, non-cellular tablets. They cost $329 each. So about $1400 for the hardware.

I'm a dealer of the hardware and can sell it to anyone interested. I'm also about to start installing them for anyone interested.

Pretty badass little setup. Clever. Something to think about, for sure.

I'm thinking I probably should've called the SvC and gotten the $130 number before I paid to have protective film put on them. Heck, the seat covers are cheaper than the mounts ;^) I wonder how long they'll keep stocking the glossy seat backs now that they've been discontinued.

Thanks for the update and showing off your cool solution.

Sean

We are using the ram suction cup mounts. Not as slick , but they work perfectly on the glossy seats and it's easy to put the tablet on and take it off. Plus it's a double ball arm system so the tablet can be positioned "just right" for viewing and making selections. My little guy needs his extending out a bit to reach the controls but the eldest can have it right up against the seat.

For media we use a Seagate Wireless Plus disc. We will it up with rips from our blu ray collection. Works great and when we stop for a meal while supercharging the media server can come out of the car if the kids are particularly cranky.

Pretty badass little setup. Clever. Something to think about, for sure.

I'm thinking I probably should've called the SvC and gotten the $130 number before I paid to have protective film put on them. Heck, the seat covers are cheaper than the mounts ;^) I wonder how long they'll keep stocking the glossy seat backs now that they've been discontinued.

Thanks for the update and showing off your cool solution.

Sean

I know! I was going to Xpel the covers. they wanted $200 each until I found out how much replacement ones would be. So far, I've nailed the measurements and haven't had to replace them. I'm more worried about what my children can do to them.