Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Refresh driver side doors sensing obstruction that isn't there....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are having the proximity warning issue on our 2023 MX. I’m scheduling a service appointment next week to have it checked out, I’m guessing its this tripod issue. Heres a video of the issue:

It’s quite annoying, at my kids school when doing drop-off, I always need to push and hold for the FWD to open, and it’s of course painfully slow and embarrassing. We owned a 2018 MX and hardly had any false proximity sensor issues
I had the problem on my 2018 nearly its entire life. Finally fixed it about six months before I traded it in. My 2022 has been perfect. Go figure.

Reactions: TJPDX
We are having the proximity warning issue on our 2023 MX. I’m scheduling a service appointment next week to have it checked out, I’m guessing its this tripod issue. Heres a video of the issue:

Its quite annoying, at my kids school when doing drop-off, I always need to push and hold for the FWD to open, and its of course painfully slow and embarrassing. We owned a 2018 MX and hardly had any false proximity sensor issues
Yep. Pretty sure you're on the right track. The good news is that, once the anchor points of the tripod are secure you'll probably be fine.

Is this user fixable? I'm pretty mechanical and the service center is over 3 hours away. Fixing at home if it takes less than 6 hours is less of a time sink.
158A809D-E250-4382-AE25-88B21ACE786A.jpeg

Here’s the work being done on mine, change sensor and carrier on both sides. Hopefully this will do the trick. If you have those parts maybe you could do it, unless the door trim has those clips that break when removing it

Sorry to hear it. When I watched my (VERY meticulous) mobile tech do the repair I was struck by how careful he had to be to get it right. For example, when he re-glued the tripod legs he held a metered pressure for an exact amount of time, as prescribed in the repair instructions. I'd never seen this type of process before and , at the time, kind of wondered if it was really necessary. But after hearing about other failed repair efforts I guess it was. In other words, the skill of the repair tech doing the work may be pretty important. My advice would be to not give up and to keep trying. I'm sure you'll get it.

Is this based on Model Year or all FWD ?
I'm in the used X market and trying to avoid FWD, but seems like they're the cheaper option. It happened on a '16 test drive so wife is getting cold feet. I guess extended warranty is a must?

Is this based on Model Year or all FWD ?
I'm in the used X market and trying to avoid FWD, but seems like they're the cheaper option. It happened on a '16 test drive so wife is getting cold feet. I guess extended warranty is a must

This is happening on my 2022. I would prob buy the extended warranty when it's time to do so or trade it in for a new X. It's a love/hate relationship with the FWD

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
It's been about two weeks since my last repair with the information I received here.
The falcon wing door's abnormal opening symptom is clear, and I haven't had any radar issues in two weeks! finally, I'm happy now!
I am attaching the last invoice.
Based on the information from others who have had their problems fixed, it appears that the sensor tripod -cradle,carrier- was replaced, and additionally, there were areas of excess paint that was wet sanded.
Hopefully, this information will help others as well.
IMG_7191.PNG

The wet sanding procedure sounds complicated but totally makes sense.

I’ve had mobile service today for this issue. Technician said the outward facing sensor is extremely sensitive and any bubble in the paint can cause this kind of issues. He replaced the sensor on mine, but it takes time to validate whether the issue is fully resolved.

Is the consensus here that the USS just needs to be installed carefully and correctly, with any excess paint also sanded if necessary?

I took my car in multiple times. They actually had a body shop repaint an interior chip and replace the USS, which did not resolve the issue. So just need a more experienced tech to replace the UsS?

The wet sanding procedure sounds complicated but totally makes sense.

I’ve had mobile service today for this issue. Technician said the outward facing sensor is extremely sensitive and any bubble in the paint can cause this kind of issues. He replaced the sensor on mine, but it takes time to validate whether the issue is fully resolved.
We haven’t had any issue with the right FWD since the mobile service. But left FWD started refusing to close without a second attempt sometimes.

So I previously had the USS and carrier replaced in both doors, but I continued to have the issue with it sensing false obstructions. I took it in again and they replaced the sensors again. They also replaced the center spline piece on the roof due to some spring that was broken on the driver side falcon wing door, maybe this is what actually needed to be done. I havent checked it myself but my wife says the doors are way better now and drop off at school is less embarrasing
IMG_8897.jpeg

Spoke too soon, just pulled into a parking space with no one next to us, really annoyingView attachment 910237

2023 X Plaid. Having the same problem with my left FWD. After two SC visits and sensor replaced, still no solution. It seems that in my case, it is temperature related. The failures started as soon as temps dropped near freezing. Of course inside the SC shop it is nice and warm and the door works and no phantom object detected. So, after yesterdays SC visit, car was parked outside for me to pick up. Left FWD did not work again. Technician told me that they had several of the same problems coming in and that it was an "engineering" problem currently being looked at. When I arrived home after 40km drive, door opened ok because interior of car was warmed up.

2023 X Plaid. Having the same problem with my left FWD. After two SC visits and sensor replaced, still no solution. It seems that in my case, it is temperature related. The failures started as soon as temps dropped near freezing. Of course inside the SC shop it is nice and warm and the door works and no phantom object detected. So, after yesterdays SC visit, car was parked outside for me to pick up. Left FWD did not work again. Technician told me that they had several of the same problems coming in and that it was an "engineering" problem currently being looked at. When I arrived home after 40km drive, door opened ok because interior of car was warmed up.
I just had all this resolved on my 2023 plaid. I was thinking temperature was causing my issues as well as my driver side FWD was detecting false objects every morning. Service came and replaced the sensor at my house but it still presented the issue so I took it back and they replaced the sensor, carrier and removed paint overspray from the inside of the door. I haven’t had a single instance of false detection since.

However the next week I noticed my passenger side FWD doing the same so I requested they perform the same service as they did to the driver side. Looks like they didn’t remove any overspray but I haven’t noticed a single instance of false detection since I’ve picked it up.

I’ve attached screenshots from both services for your reference.

Attachments

• IMG_3622.png
    IMG_3622.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3623.png
    IMG_3623.png
    759.6 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: PoulB