Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Road Trip Poll

Have you taken or are you planning road trips with your Model X

• Yes - done 1 or more and planning for some

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • Yes - done 1 or more but no more with Model X

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not yet - but planning for some

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Not yet and not planning any with Model X

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Round trip around Tahoe from SFlast week (600+ miles) and on my way to Whidbey Island, WA from SF now. Drove 600+ miles today using superchargers all the way and stopped in Portland, OR for the night continuing on to Seattle tomorrow.
Hey @umeshunni - which superchargers did you use enroute to Portland? We are coming right behind you..will be in Seattle Fri afternoon.

@joshua.MA and @ecrsail - would love to hear more about your epic trips..what worked what didn't ..what to avoid etc.

Both of you are taking some really epic trips in your Model Xs and it will be great to learn from your experiences.

I would be happy to post more about the trip if there's interest. I took detailed records of charging and range performance for most of the trip and want to process that data this weekend.

I would be happy to post more about the trip if there's interest. I took detailed records of charging and range performance for most of the trip and want to process that data this weekend.
@ecrsail - yes please do share the details especially the charging and range performance. It will be beneficial to all. Please post them under the sticky thread on Model X Road Trips.

I also started yesterday on our trip and will begin posting my experience.

We stopped at Corning, Mount Shasta, Grants Pass, Springfield, Woodburn and Centralia.
In hindsight, we should have stayed longer at Springfield and skipped Woodburn - we had to get dinner at Woodburn but didn't find anything good there.
We had breakfast at a very cute Family Restaurant in Centralia.

I took delivery in Portland, Oregon, in March 2016 of our 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL and drove about 1000 miles to my vacation house in Anaheim in Southern California. Then in May 2016 I drove it from Southern California to the Midwest Tesla Gathering in St. Louis, Missouri, taking I-15 and I-70 to get there and then taking I-40 to get back to Southern California, more than 3600 miles round-trip. I'll be driving the Model X up to Reno, Nevada, at the end of this month to attend TMC Connect 2016. I've posted reports about these trips and more along with tons of photos at TeslaTouring.com . I've including photos in those reports of more than 37 Tesla Supercharger locations including comments about the ease or difficulty of charging without unhitching if towing a trailer at each of these Tesla locations. AutoPilot really takes the stress out of these long distance trips and Supercharging certainly takes out the fuel costs of them! Also, did not see another Tesla at all at more than 30 of the 37 Tesla Superchargers that we charged at. East of Las Vegas it was rare to ever encounter another Tesla at a Supercharger until we got to St. Louis (St. Charles).

I took delivery in Portland, Oregon, in March 2016 of our 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL and drove about 1000 miles to my vacation house in Anaheim in Southern California. Then in May 2016 I drove it from Southern California to the Midwest Tesla Gathering in St. Louis, Missouri, taking I-15 and I-70 to get there and then taking I-40 to get back to Southern California, more than 3600 miles round-trip. I'll be driving the Model X up to Reno, Nevada, at the end of this month to attend TMC Connect 2016. I've posted reports about these trips and more along with tons of photos at TeslaTouring.com . I've including photos in those reports of more than 37 Tesla Supercharger locations including comments about the ease or difficulty of charging without unhitching if towing a trailer at each of these Tesla locations. AutoPilot really takes the stress out of these long distance trips and Supercharging certainly takes out the fuel costs of them! Also, did not see another Tesla at all at more than 30 of the 37 Tesla Superchargers that we charged at. East of Las Vegas it was rare to ever encounter another Tesla at a Supercharger until we got to St. Louis (St. Charles).
Any specific reason to take delivery in Portland? Does it help with sales tax in any way?

Any specific reason to take delivery in Portland? Does it help with sales tax in any way?
I live in Vancouver, Washington. Portland is by far the closest Tesla delivery point to my home. Unfortunately, you have to pay Washington State sales tax even if you take delivery in Portland. Back in 2013 when I took delivery of my first Tesla Model S 85 Washington State exempted all EV's from sales tax saving me about $8,000. I don't remember if that was in effect when I upgraded to a MS P85D in 2015, but I definitely had to pay the full Washington State Sales Tax on our 2016 Model X P90D. We spend significant time at our vacation house in Anaheim, California, because of an aging parent (94 year old mother-in-law). Being a Washington resident I didn't get the $2,500 California tax credit nor can I drive alone in the car pool lanes as California residents can do with a white car pool sticker.

• Helpful
Reactions: krazineurons
With 1 home in SW FL and 1 in Central NY, I will be taking 1400 mile road trips twice (or more) per year. X delivered too late for trip up to NY so I had to fly back to FL to take delivery and return to NY with X. FL delivery preferable for sales tax reasons. I had been watching development of SC network for last 16 months. Crucial Binghamton, NY SC opened last December. I had been wondering what I would do for (lacking) PA SC. Then...one week before taking delivery, I looked up network again and lo and behold, last piece of puzzle filled in with Harrisburg, PA SC. Longest distance between SCs was between these 2 at 180 miles. So list of SCs I used is Tampa, FL, Ocala, FL, Kingsland, GA, Savannah, GA, Santee, SC, Lumberton, NC, Rocky Mount, NC, Glen Allen, VA, Woodbridge, VA, Harrisburg, PA, Binghamton, NY and Syracuse, NY. Last stop in Syracuse could have easily been bypassed, but when you can get some free electrons at a rate of 300+ mph, why not? Most SCs had no other Teslas while I was there and a few had 1 Tesla- no more than that. A hassle free trip other than the HORRIBLE DC traffic where nav system routed me around weather delay via Gettysburg.

I will add one note that Tesla should have put up a sign for at the Savannah SC. This SC is inside airport parking garage. It appeared that I might have to pay a parking fee. However, I decided to walk over and ask while I was charging. Attendant at very left (inside building) informed me that I had to exit via her stall to get 3 free hours for Tesla owners. You have to write your name and phone number on ticket. Also, I arrived too late in day to get meal at food court inside terminal. She informed me that food court closes at 8 PM.