Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X roof panel fell off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no, but I imagine anything getting in those gears will cause some serious, possibly irreversible damage. Better get that to the service center ASAP.

Those gears?

I didn't see any gears, and I don't think there are any - as I understand it, the car uses motorized struts to actuate both sections, like power hatchbacks do but with an extra section.

All I see there are four springs to counter the weight. (And an electrical connector for the overhead Ultrasonic, and a couple boxes I'm not sure what to make of (antenna?) that likely shouldn't be wet.)

But No, I haven't had that happen, and Yes, you should certainly get it to the service center soon.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo and boaterva
Those gears?

I didn't see any gears, and I don't think there are any - as I understand it, the car uses motorized struts to actuate both sections, like power hatchbacks do but with an extra section.

All I see there are four springs to counter the weight. (And an electrical connector for the overhead Ultrasonic, and a couple boxes I'm not sure what to make of (antenna?) that likely shouldn't be wet.)

But No, I haven't had that happen, and Yes, you should certainly get it to the service center soon.

yeah, sorry, I’m obviously not a mechanical engineer. “Those springy turning looking thingys that can’t be designed to get road dirt in them.” Better? ;)

Wow, that is a surprise. I thought that central glass piece was glued on.

Just last Thursday! Just driving down the highway, heard a noise and saw it bouncing on the road in my rear view mirror. Have been looking all day for it in hopes of salvaging it. But no luck.
I would be very surprised if it did not suffer some significant damage from hitting a hard road surface at highway speeds. Doubt it would be salvageable.

Interesting picture, and it answers a lot of questions I had about Falcon Wing doors.

Simple springs are used to counterbalance those heavy doors, making possible the use of relatively low powered motors capable of cycling them up and down. Reduces weight, power consumption, heat generation and a multitude of other issues by effective use of springs, similar to what I see on garage doors.

The more I learn about Tesla technology, the more I am impressed with how well thought out their systems are.

I used to own a Bricklin with Gull Wing doors. They used high powered hydraulics to cycle the doors. They were heavy, power hungry slow and prone to failure. Just cycling them up and down 4 times would deplete the battery. They had none of the grace of the Tesla system, and were hard to adjust.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and MP3Mike
Those gears?

They said it’s okay to leave exposed for the next month... appt for 10/23. Holy cow.

Hmm...I didn’t know that. All the other roof pieces are glass. I would be surprised if the center panel is not also glass, so that it matches and for greater durability.

I know it isn't glass as someone who mounted their ham radio antenna through it said it wasn't. I just can't recall if he said it was metal or plastic.

Here it is:
I used a 1 1/4 reaming tool to enlarge the guide hole. I measured several times and drilled a 1/4 hole through the aluminum and then through the thick black plastic panel between the Falcon door hinge area. The antenna mount is a 2" long x 5/8" diameter NMO mount / PL259 thick roof from American Radio Supply. The inside is silicon sealed to the aluminum spine and the NMO O ring seals to the black outside plastic.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
My Wife went on a 4 hour trip over the weekend. She came back home and told that the rear door did not stop and hit the garage opener. The next day she tells me that she went to the car wash and that car was leaking inside.

I go out to see what could be the issue and this is what I see:
IMG_9720.jpeg

Has anyone had this happened?

Thanks,
Alex

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler