Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X/S hands free smart trunk and Model S power lift gate

GabeX

Feb 26, 2018
Irvine, CA
So far, just 3 people including myself who are interested. Doesn't look like we will be hitting the 10 order minimum anytime soon. I had my hands full a few times today and wished I had that the kick sensor already.

spectrum

Jun 17, 2018
Atlanta
So far, just 3 people including myself who are interested. Doesn't look like we will be hitting the 10 order minimum anytime soon. I had my hands full a few times today and wished I had that the kick sensor already.
When “Hey Siri open my trunk” works then I don’t think many people care to be honest. Automatic trunk on Model 3 would be very useful, as well as Automatic Frunk on S/3/X.

Reactions: dragonxt

wdolson

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
An automated hatch on my Model S would be handy sometimes, but we're belt tightening right now. My business took a hit thanks to the trade war and non-essential expenditures are out of the budget for the time being.

bebarrett

Aug 20, 2019
Around.
Hi All-- New member! I would be happy to be a 4th that's in! Just an FYI, they do have the part on sale right now for $400. Maybe if we can get a 5th person, they'd do the $300. price?

GalaxySurfer

Life, The Universe and Everything.
Oct 10, 2018
Oregon
Caution: Numerous people have cracked/chipped there glass doing this. Be extra care during removal/install of the struts and it doesnt hurt to cover glass with a towel. The most common area is in the corner.

• Informative
Reactions: Daisame

RecklessFury

Jun 25, 2019
USA
Does anyone know what light mod he has installed that make the word TESLA flash like in the the video of that demo of the hands free operation?

vadimzven

Mar 8, 2018
Aventura FL
I just did a test. In all cases the car was locked (P,R,N,D). In that case the trunk would not open with the press of the outside button. If the car was unlocked and in neutral it would open.

So it seems to boil down to the car being locked or not. Since the car self locks almost immediately I think that the integration with the canbus/diagnostic is overkill. I simple parallel switch on the same circuit as the physical switch seems adequate to me.

But when car was locked and you are coming from trunk side, car suppose recognized that you have a key, unlocking car and .... only need wireless connection for sensor. I have time to thinking how to do it.

Reactions: aesculus

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC