TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vendor Lighted Rear Applique for the Model X -- wiring completed today

Discussion in 'Model X' started by artsci, Nov 13, 2016.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Today, WATTSUP (Jurgen Balitzky), SUPURKAR (Bill Polera), and I worked on a Model X to determine all the correct wiring connections for the new Model X lighted rear appliqué that will be available after the New Year. Compared to the Model S this was much easier to do, with far less disassembly of the rear of the car to make all off the proper connections. In fact, it ended up being comparatively simple.

The Model X lighted rear applique will go into production in December and be available in early January. Given that its production will be far less complicated that those we have produced for the Model S, the cost will be substantially lower. And the easy of installation will also lower install costs as well -- a win-win for owners.

For the Model S, our first lighted rear applique involved water jet cutting out of the letters in Tesla's stock plastic applique, which was in very short supply and hard to obtain in any volume. To address that challenge, about a year ago we starting manufacuturing our own applique out of aluminum. But Tesla seems to have taken a cue from our work. The Model X applique is two pieces - one long piece with the T E S L A letters cut out and a second piece consisting of a letter board with the T E S LA letters that fits onto the back so the letters protrude out. Now all new Model S's come with the same kind of applique.

With this new design Tesla did us a favor. We now only need to manufacture the letter board (which is 3D printed out a translucent white material) and attach the neopixel electronics on the back of the letter board.

If you're not familiar with the lighted rear applique and how it works, there are several Model S threads you might want to review. And we also recommend you visit our web site -- many photos are a few videos can be found there. Here are links to the major Model S threads:

Lighted-rear-applique-with-special-effects-and-bluetooth-smart-phone-controller

Model S Lighted Rear Applique in operation on the road

Lighted rear applique special effects

EV Appliques

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. hungyip84

hungyip84 Member

Nice to know. Does that mean the next gen applique can be used in both new MS and MX?

3. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Yay !!! Congratulations - artsci

4. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

Artsci, are you guys working on a lighted tesla T for the X?

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The discussion yesterday was that a lighted rear T world be really easy to install, but I'm not sure what their plans are.

The front T is apparently mounted differently on the X than the refresh S, but we didn't really dig in to that area.

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

No, the appliqués themselves are different sizes. But the letters and letter boards are the same.

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Yes, both the front and rear. They will also be available after the New Year.

• Like x 2
  8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

And thanks to Saghost for letting us work on his Model X!!!

• Like x 2
  9. hungyip84

hungyip84 Member

Sorry, I actually meant, would the letter board work for both new MS and MX?

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

We think yes. We have the X applique but not the new S version. But we think they both use the same letterboard.

11. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

Just to clarify the difference between the Model “S” and “X”. We will have three different appliqués one for the “X” and one for face lift “S”. The third will be a Gen II and Gen III appliqué for the original model “S”.

Chrome plated Gen II and Gen III appliques are currently in stock and can be shipped within a week of ordering. As has been stated model “X” and new “S” will be available mid January, it will take a little bit of time to ramp up production but any delay should be of short duration. The front and rear “T” for both the “S” and “X” will be available shortly after that, the delay being the light boards.

• Like x 1
  12. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

What will the cost be for the face-lift model s applique?

13. Sm4llz

Sm4llz Member

Probably not the right thread but I wanted to mention that I've had my Deep blue metallic applique on my S for several months now. It's been amazing, I see people taking pictures of the car whole stopped at lights, and it's a conversation starter at superchargers. Love it

• Like x 2
  14. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

@Reekdog We do not have a set price as of today, but it should be a couple of hundred less. It will bepend, if you purchase the kit or the complete assembly. Runnig the wires on the "S" will be the same. A good shop should take no longer then lets say 2 1/2 hours.
    The model "X" on the other hand should take less time to run the wires. Hopfully some time early next year we will be able to do a video on the installtion. It should be noted that the wiring on the "X" is more in line with the average persons ability to install the lighted applique. Anyone living around the Philadelphia/Baltimore area have the added advantage of haveing us install their applique.

The way this should go is, "X" applique first, then the applique for the face-lift "S", followed by the front "T" for the "X" and the face-lift "S" After that the rear "T"'s. Gen 3 appliques are in stock and can be shipped within the week. we have 4 Gen 2's left, after they are sold Gen 2's will become special order items.

• Informative x 4
  15. Vizir

Vizir Member

If I wanted the whole set, that is, the front T, rear T and the TESLA applique, then should I wait till all are available or just order each as it becomes available?

16. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

@Vizir, It's you call But I would purchase the applique first anding the "T"'s later.

17. Vizir

Vizir Member

any update?

18. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

First test of the lighted appliqué for the "X" will occur on Sunday ( 01/08/2017 ). I'll post the result after the test.

• Like x 1
  19. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Knowing the quality of you guys' work, I am confident it will be perfect. I surely like mine for the S. Great product folks.

20. AMG-WS

AMG-WS New Member

Looking forward to an update on this.