Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X/S hands free smart trunk and Model S power lift gate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

This is my first group buy so please be gentle and provide any feedback.

I recently came across tesla offer's hand free smart trunk and decided to reach out to them to see if I can get a group buy going to help us all save a little money.

Here are the prices they provided for 10+ order mix and match between hands free or between power liftgate and power liftgate w/sensor. All prices includes shipping.

Hands free for Model X or S with OEM power liftgate: $300
Model X Hand Free Smart Trunk Open – Tesla Offer

Model S power liftgate: $480
Model S Power Liftgate (Soft Closing) – Tesla Offer

Model S power liftgate with foot sensor: $550

Please respond this thread if you are interested and the product you are interested in. Once I have enough interest, I will reach back out to them for next steps.

I understand that this is not for everyone and there are other alternatives such as Stats for Tesla (via Siri) but I prefer something hardwired where I don't have to depend on an internet connection or take out my key fob.

If there are enough interest in LA/OC area, I would like to have schedule an installation meetup as well so we can all install them together.

Thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I agree ..The install seems very complex but I think the install video is terrible ..Moving the camera al around like that makes it impossible to see what he's doing ..I suspect that the install is not that hard but you would have a tough time following that procedure from the video .

Theres a guy on the tesla owners worldwide on facebook, who shows a 2 minute install that makes his frunk open by itself. 15$ part on amazon, 2 minute install. Im gonna be doing this.

Still manually have to close frunk, but it opens with his frunk button. (He was in a 3 i think)

This kit needs a wireless feature for the diagnostic connector vs running that wire all along under the trim.

Or better yet just a simple sensor to short out the switch on the trunk button. It would act just like you pressing the handle. If the car was locked nothing would happen but if unlocked, it would open the trunk.

This seems overkill to me.

I think the security is mostly to prevent accidental trunk opening when the car is unlocked but NOT in Park.
I just did a test. In all cases the car was locked (P,R,N,D). In that case the trunk would not open with the press of the outside button. If the car was unlocked and in neutral it would open.

So it seems to boil down to the car being locked or not. Since the car self locks almost immediately I think that the integration with the canbus/diagnostic is overkill. I simple parallel switch on the same circuit as the physical switch seems adequate to me.