Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Screen Shut Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me ever since I upgraded to MCU2. Got car back from service yesterday and what was fix is as follows.

Correction: SD Card - Media Control Unit (Reformat)
Correction: Firmware Update - Garage
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive

I should also mention my BlackVue Dashcam no longer has power after this service center visit.

I feel like I didn't have any issues with MCU1

I have a new infotainment and it still does it. It's not really a safety issue since the car continues to drive with it turned off. I think they pushed a fix if the EMMC crashes and the car goes into a fail safe mode.
Thanks. Good to know! Service pushed me to buy the infotainment system as the fix to the double display blackout reboots. I will agree to disagree on the safety part (as we all have different risk tolerance). It would just be a non-compliant car without the driving speed, safety alerts, turn signal, horn, or even seeing whether I am in forward or reverse. Who would drive a $100k car without an instrument panel, even if it drives without the displays.

Last edited:
Thanks. Good to know! Service pushed me to buy the infotainment system as the fix to the double display blackout reboots. I will agree to disagree on the safety part (as we all have different risk tolerance). I will not drive a car without an instrument panel, even if it drives without one.

I will say, MCU2 is a worthwhile upgrade. All the Tesla BS aside.

2018 MX here. Version 2022.20.18 (latest version available to me)
I've had this issues for a long while and was wondering whether others are too.

Every time it happens, I 'report a bug' through the vehicle and schedule a service request through the app.

Prior service visits, blames it on my SD card being corrupt (but I was just using it to view sentry vids on the car and also on my PC with no issues). I now kept the SD out to rule that out but the issue still happens. Once even in Tesla parking lot right after picking up the vehicle from the service visit for the issue.

After multiple visits, they say it's a firmware issue with currently scheduled fix.

Anyone else have alternate solutions offered or found that the issue may be related to bad Hardware?