Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X....Should I?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a newbie to Tesla and to TMC. I wanted to get this group's opinion to help with my decision process. Trying to decide if buying a new model x is the way to go. here's the context:

- I like the idea of owning a Model X for the coolness factor in many ways; at this time, it is the X or nothing for me
- I am looking at replacing my 2016 Audi A6 with the X so will end up owning two SUVs (other vehicle is debt free)
- the A6 costs me very little in service maintenance and time; I take it to the dealer once a year for oil change and tire rotation
- I live in Wisconsin (not a Tesla friendly state) with very few incentives offered by the state and (the only) utility provider in the area; the nearest Tesla service center is about 90 minutes away in Highland Park, Chicago
- Not only will I start a new 6-year loan program for a not-so-cheap SUV but the vehicle's hardware changes so often that I think I should be buying the latest and greatest, pushing up the initial price tag past $100,000
- I am looking at the 100D/ Long range, subzero, AWD, enhanced autopilot w/ FSD, 20" wheels and 5-seat configuration as a preferred package

so, would you buy the X?
would you buy new or a 2018 model?
would you recommend a different configuration to keep the price tag under $86,000?
any Model X owners in the MKE area on this forum?
recommendations for a national loan company with attractive interest rates?

Truly appreciate any input.

Don't buy used right now, the used market is wayyy over inflated due to the recent price cuts on new vehicles. I've seen vehicles with 1 year and 30k miles ask within $10k of a brand new Model X with the same specs. I'd wait a few months for the used market to settle down before going that route.

If you're looking at saving some money, don't get FSD. It's not even out yet and it has been repeatedly delayed. I'm doubtful we will see meaningful FSD (i.e. not just summon) within the next 2-3 years. Not worth it at all IMO.

• Helpful
Reactions: dedicatedtek
I am a newbie to Tesla and to TMC. I wanted to get this group's opinion to help with my decision process. Trying to decide if buying a new model x is the way to go. here's the context:

- I like the idea of owning a Model X for the coolness factor in many ways; at this time, it is the X or nothing for me
- I am looking at replacing my 2016 Audi A6 with the X so will end up owning two SUVs (other vehicle is debt free)
- the A6 costs me very little in service maintenance and time; I take it to the dealer once a year for oil change and tire rotation
- I live in Wisconsin (not a Tesla friendly state) with very few incentives offered by the state and (the only) utility provider in the area; the nearest Tesla service center is about 90 minutes away in Highland Park, Chicago
- Not only will I start a new 6-year loan program for a not-so-cheap SUV but the vehicle's hardware changes so often that I think I should be buying the latest and greatest, pushing up the initial price tag past $100,000
- I am looking at the 100D/ Long range, subzero, AWD, enhanced autopilot w/ FSD, 20" wheels and 5-seat configuration as a preferred package

so, would you buy the X?
would you buy new or a 2018 model?
would you recommend a different configuration to keep the price tag under $86,000?
any Model X owners in the MKE area on this forum?
recommendations for a national loan company with attractive interest rates?

Truly appreciate any input.

I recommend trying to find an inventory vehicle. Subscribe to the Tesla Showroom Deals facebook group for more info. I would also try to get a Raven since its the most up to date. I have heard Tesla is offering wheel upgrades for free.

I would normally recommend leasing, but Tesla leasing numbers have been terrible lately.

Regarding distance to the SC, 90 minutes is not terrible, but not exactly close. It is a risk. Have you asked if Tesla will send a ranger out to pick up your car for service or mobile service? Let's see what other WI owners say.

Don't buy used right now, the used market is wayyy over inflated due to the recent price cuts on new vehicles. I've seen vehicles with 1 year and 30k miles ask within $10k of a brand new Model X with the same specs. I'd wait a few months for the used market to settle down before going that route.

If you're looking at saving some money, don't get FSD. It's not even out yet and it has been repeatedly delayed. I'm doubtful we will see meaningful FSD (i.e. not just summon) within the next 2-3 years. Not worth it at all IMO.

Only problem is FSD is now the only way to get
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change:
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Many of those features were available last year with just EAP, which is no longer available.

You'll have to decide if you can afford it and if the money is worth it for yourself.

What I can tell you is they are amazing cars, by far the best I've ever owned, and in 60k miles I haven't had any serious problems.

Cars built since May are substantially better than cars built before that, using 10-15% less energy and with a much improved suspension. Conveniently, they also have the new FSD computer.

Although we really haven't seen much progress on that front in the last few years, I actually expect to see significant advancements on it in the next six to twelve months - one of the reasons I replaced my 2016 X with one of the new ones in June.

If I was buying today, I would go with a 2019 Long range showroom model with low miles. This move would save anywhere from $3K to $10K.

There is a rumor that MX and MS are going to get new interior in next 3-6 months. It would be worth it if you can wait.

• Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change:
Many of those features were available last year with just EAP, which is no longer available.

That's a good point, I forgot they stripped away EAP features and put them in to FSD. That being said, I almost never use any of those features so it wouldn't be worth it for me. Not sure how NOA is in other areas but in Southern California it's a total cluster and is actually unsafe in certain situations. It might be better in areas where there are fewer freeways and better drivers.

it is good to note that FSD is not fully developed. Perhaps it could be an add on further down the road. Thx

I recommend trying to find an inventory vehicle. Subscribe to the Tesla Showroom Deals facebook group for more info. I would also try to get a Raven since its the most up to date. I have heard Tesla is offering wheel upgrades for free.

I would normally recommend leasing, but Tesla leasing numbers have been terrible lately.

Regarding distance to the SC, 90 minutes is not terrible, but not exactly close. It is a risk. Have you asked if Tesla will send a ranger out to pick up your car for service or mobile service? Let's see what other WI owners say.

I will has to ask the Tesla adviser if they would offer vehicle pickup. I am leaning towards the buy option, not lease. Thank you for the suggestion.

• Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change:

This is my understanding as well. The $6000 additional fee covers features noted above and FSD. so it is becoming an all or nothing. Is that Tesla's effort to simplify the buying process and/ or standardize what is actually selling vs the cost of providing buyers multiple options.

You'll have to decide if you can afford it and if the money is worth it for yourself.

What I can tell you is they are amazing cars, by far the best I've ever owned, and in 60k miles I haven't had any serious problems.

Cars built since May are substantially better than cars built before that, using 10-15% less energy and with a much improved suspension. Conveniently, they also have the new FSD computer.

Although we really haven't seen much progress on that front in the last few years, I actually expect to see significant advancements on it in the next six to twelve months - one of the reasons I replaced my 2016 X with one of the new ones in June.

I will certainly keep an eye out for post May build dates as I continue to shop for the X. Thank you.

This is my understanding as well. The $6000 additional fee covers features noted above and FSD. so it is becoming an all or nothing. Is that Tesla's effort to simplify the buying process and/ or standardize what is actually selling vs the cost of providing buyers multiple options.

I think the reason they bundled the features is because prior to the bundling, FSD was nothing but a promise. Now when you buy FSD you're getting "something" even though those features already existed in the previous version of EAP. They can say "see, you're getting all these features for $6k" instead of "We promise we'll develop something in the future for $3k"

My two cents on FSD features:
  • Auto park is very cool. But limited to parking in spaces where there are two cars surrounding the space. I still use it though whenever I get the chance.
  • Navigate on autopilot - I hardly use this bc my car breaks hard at overpassed or randomly and I’m afraid of getting rear ended. When it gets better I’ll use it.
  • Summon - never use it. It just remote controls the car to go forward or backward. I don’t have time for this when I’m going to or from work I just hop in and drive.
  • Auto lane change - I use it but sometimes it won’t change lanes and then it stresses me out to nearly miss or miss my exit. But when it does work it is very cool to know a car can do that. Interestingly I drove a loaner Model S with HW1 so no auto lane change only auto-steer. I was much more relaxed in that car and preferred it simply bc the rules of the car were clear - the car will steer and maintain speed, and if I want to change lanes I take control. Easy on the mind. For FSD the car will steer, maintain speed, and change lanes, but may unpredictably give you an error saying it cannot change lanes at this time. Because that last bit is variable it adds stress instead of taking it away. So I don’t like auto-change yet.
Bottom line - if I did it over knowing what I know now I’d save the $6000.

• Helpful
Reactions: MXbug