Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Ski/Snowbord Rack, awesome

Do you like this set-up aesthetically?

• Yes Looks Uhmazing, Love it

• No Too Cluttered or Awkward

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same setup (full swing with tram). It does the job but is very large, skis do get very dirty, and the ski rack is pretty difficult to load multiple sets on as you kind of have to hold them in place.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the Tesla to know there is an accessory rack on the back though? Trailer mode disabled too much. But without trailer mode, the car frequently thinks there is a car or bike or person or motorcycle behind me. Autopilot still works but I worry it will someday cause the car to overreact to something it perceives is behind me.
I bought a hitch Mount tray. Put Rubbermaid boxes full of ski boots, then lash ski bags to top. Dirty on outside, but super clean on inside .Tons of space. Easy to fit at supercharger. So happy . Back hatch opens. Space to fit between to easily take bags in and out of trunk .try it. Cheap on Amazon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190217-202453.png
    Screenshot_20190217-202453.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 552
Looks good - I need to find a similar solution for one snowboard and two sets of skis.

Good to hear you didn't experience any range reduction, that was my concern with this rack. Did you have any issues or anything that could be better about this set up? (did you drive in snow, did the boards get dirty with salt and grit?)

I was considering a vertical rack to try to keep the aerodynamic shape of the car:
http://bestskiracks.com/product/tow-bar-ski-and-boardtable-carrier/
Wouldn't a horizontal ski rack be bad because your skis or snowboard could be longer than the width of the car?

Reactions: Skryll
I prefer to keep my snow equipment protected from the snow, salt and sand when driving to the mountains. If it's just me and my wife, I'll put the 2 boards in the X with the following custom tub I had made (old photo with protective plastic still in place):
6dWZdUY.jpg

szGzkl1.jpg

For longer trips with 4 boards, I use a hitch-mounted tray:
d9X8ZhK.jpg