TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Specs

Discussion in 'Model X' started by EVNow, Feb 12, 2012.

1. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

Here is my updated EV/PHEV specs/dimensions chart. I've used the picture in the Model X Tesla page to get relative size of X using known height of S.

ev-specs.png

2. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

Will the EPA range for the S and X really be as low as you're estimating? I was under the impression that the 85-kWh S, though heavier, would have a longer range than the 56-kWh Roadster...

Also, the torque (and perhaps HP) for the X with AWD goes up by 1.5x, not 2x...

3. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Yeah, the S ranges are estimated way too low. While the roadster range of 245 does not correlate to the 73 epa range of the leaf, it certainly isn't 30% less.

4. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

I had used 70% - since that's what EPA uses. May be 80% is better ...

5. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Member

The Leaf gets 70% range because Nissan Uses a L4A cycle that has a median speed of ~20 mph, while Tesla uses 55mph test cycle. Look at the Tesla Roadster forums for real world range.

6. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

See post 1296 for a good comparison. This is probably as accurate as it gets...

Nissan Leaf

7. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

No - Leaf has 100 miles in combined EPA cycle - before applying the 30% adjustment. See EPA FOIA documents posted in MNL.

BTW, the Model X reveal apparently had mixed driving numbers for S - 128, 180 & 244. So, close to 20% adjustment.

0000020412-X3-Screens.jpg

8. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Sorry we are butting heads today but the leaf has 73 miles per charge per EPA. It gets 99MPGe

201112 Electric Vehicles

9. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

That seems to be at 65 mph and a few other specfic settings.

10. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

11. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I see the full picture now. Tesla's numbers are not EPA tests but their own number of 'ideal miles' which is 55mph cruising, probably with a small amount of reserve power. EPA tests until the car is dead.

12. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

If Tom Sax's number of 85 miles is correct for the Leaf as equivalent to how the Roadster is measured, then the percentage to subtract would be about 14% (0.86x), so the Roadster would have about 210. (Which I think is about the value used in the UK). That might be a bit different for the Model S, but in case a similar number would be used, it would be about 260 miles. (There was also talk the range might be slightly more than 300 miles by its current measurement: @55mph). That would be much more than the 210 in the table above.

13. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

I wish I knew what the Model X ground clearance number they were aiming for. Does anyone know this from the reveal, a sales rep, or other source?

14. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

Any futher details on that ? The language of mixed driving etc makes me feel this is the range Tesla expects to get from EPA.

For eg. I'd expect to get nearly 73 miles in Leaf at highway speeds.

15. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Whatever the EPA says the range is, I hope Tesla advertises something closer to what most of their customers will get or qualify it with the @55 mph statement. Providing a link to a webpage with that mileage estimator they had at the event would be great. Be as transparent as possible when it comes to range, something a traditional manufacturer doesn't have to do as filling up at a gas station takes care of any range issues.

16. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Energy Efficiency of Tesla Electric Vehicles | Tesla Motors

I looked at this graph, and some derived from that graph, my driving habits and the EPA numbers on my car. I am expecting 112/168/210 ranges with their batteries. That is Highway at 80mph, AC, and a few 0-40mph at stop lights.

I expect I could stretch the mileage to the Tesla numbers fairly easily. Driving 50-60 on the interstate, gentle starting, and as much regen as I can manage.

I basically took Tesla's numbers and multiplied by .7. It helped that the Leaf's real world vs. their stated range was roughly this ratio also.

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Try over here...7.9" was my calculation (nobody argued).

18. medved

medved Member

#18 medved, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    I don't see these pages on Tesla website. There is just the Roadster.

19. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

^^ Those are pix of an application that was debuted at the Model X reveal.

20. medved

medved Member

I see. thanks for info.