TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Spotted in China

Discussion in 'Model X' started by CTemp222, Feb 28, 2016.

1. CTemp222

CTemp222 Member

2. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

That's a mule. Probably made its way to be tested for safety.

3. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

The door handles don't line up. They could have at least fixed that. I guess this answers to the question what happens to all the mules they built. Send them to China to be cloned I suppose.

4. CarlK

CarlK Member

Yes it's a mule that still got the CA MFG plate.

5. CTemp222

CTemp222 Member

So whats a mule doing all the way over there? Are they registering it or something?

6. ModelXBoy

ModelXBoy No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!

Simple, there are lots of rich people in China looking for an unique ride. Cars in China cost 1 and half time the price here in the states. A 60,000 Porsche caynne costs close to 2 mil Chinese RMB, which is roughly 150k US dollar. A car like the model X probably don't have any import duty due to been a green electric car. Someone rich will jump on it by paying high dollars here to get the car, and ship back by air or boat. By looking at the image the car is in a very rural town, not mega cities like Beijing,Shanghai, or Hongkong. No surprise to me at all. Too much wealthy is in very few people in China.

7. larmor

larmor Member

So TM is selling (or has sold) a MX mule on the open market in China? Whaat... Perhaps TM brought the mule over for regulations, inspection, etc for certification.

8. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I'm with larmor. I very much doubt Tesla would sell a mule to anyone. My guess is that this is there for testing in the Chinese market. After Canada, China is the next expected market, even before Europe.

9. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

There is import duty for Tesla. Adding other fees, a Model S is about 150% the price in China. Tesla doesn't add any premium to their products sold in China like other luxury brands, but import duty and VAT and other fees are still taking the toll.

This mule lacks the Tesla symbol on the nose, has misaligned door handle, and looks not in its best days. And according to the original poster (the link is re-posting the pics) on Weibo (China's version of Twitter), the interior is not complete. No rich will be willing to pay high dollars for this specific car. The building in front of it says "Dingyuan Ruide Automobile Testing ltd." in, Dingyuan is the town's name, Ruide is the company's name. Dingyuan also has China's largest vehicle proving ground. All in all, it's most likely a mule tested in US, shipped to China to do tests before Tesla can officially export X to China.

10. emtf

emtf New Member

The place called China dingyuan car testing ground, I believe the MX is just prepare for it's C-NCAP (China-New Car Assessment Program) there.

11. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

Absolutely agree. The car is there for testing