Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X spotted in Europe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why don't you dump your "fugly" Panamera and apply your X deposit to a Model S? I guarantee it will have a lower GHG impact, even with some coal.

It has crossed my mind. It did originally when I placed my deposit but Tesla assured me Spring 2016 delivery for the X and that was long long before I knew anything about "Tesla Time" being quite so fluid.

I think externally they look quite similar. But a fully specced Tesla S is €150,000 over here, and whilst I can make that happen I just can't see me getting €150,000 of value out of it. I just don't love it enough.

We don't have pricing here in Europe but I think an X will be 5-10% more so dropping €160,000 on an X is just not looking like much fun anymore.

Lucky Apple don't have the capability, the cash, the experience or the desire to enter this marketplace in that case.

We can argue this stuff round in circles but personally I think that BMW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes have massive experience in building all the little parts that make a car.

You can see clearly and openly how Tesla go unstuck with the gullwing doors and the seats on the Model X.......they have openly admitted that - and those are items that have NOTHING to do with the electronic motor that drives the car.

I would argue it's a lot simpler to switch the drivetrain for a vehicle from ICE to ELECTRIC than it is to design a complete motor car from scratch including production lines, seats, windscreens, doors, brakes etc etc.
If it's so simple, why have it take so long time for BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Porche to make a complent car that would end Tesla? Tesla reviled there plan 2006, the roadster was present in 2008 and went in to production then. Now 8 years later Audi have present a car that will come in about two years, BMW haven't even show a compelling electric car, Porche have present a car that will come in 2018-2019 and Mercedes is glad to present that there plug-in hydrides will have longer electric range in the coming years. The Audi Q6 e-trone will be about the same size as Model X, have about the same range but only have room for three passenger compere to Model X there it enough space for six passengers.

I would argue it's a lot simpler to switch the drivetrain for a vehicle from ICE to ELECTRIC than it is to design a complete motor car from scratch including production lines, seats, windscreens, doors, brakes etc etc.

This alone shows a significant lack of understanding. The problems to solve for electric are quite significant (not the least of which is proper cooling and heating of the batteries to prevent long-term damage from pulling too much current when they are cold or from excess heat in operation. Then you need a highly efficient speed control for one or two large electric motors and an effective reduction gear box that won't destroy itself and won't need frequent re-lubrication from the user.

You *could* slap an electric motor and batteries in an otherwise ICE car, but what you wind up with is something no one would want to own. The ICE car has a lot of things significantly overbuilt because of the vibration of the ICE, the car itself is crazy heavy because it's been designed to hold and protect that vibrating ICE and prevent it from landing in the driver's lap in a collision. In a 4WD you also have a big, heavy transfer case to get power from the engine/motor to the rear wheels. Switching over to a 4WD electric you either need to duplicate that transfer case but have it able to handle the much higher (and instant) torque from the electric motor or you need a second electric motor and a way to synchronize the two motors to prevent gear damage in either if one or the other is driving harder. So slap an electric motor and batteries on an ICE car and you wind up with a heavy, low-range, low-acceleration beast of a compromise.

Tesla learned that with the Roadster. Even the crazy light Lotus Elise they started with needed to be rebuilt from scratch to reduce weight and make it an effective electric car, and even then it was more of a compromise than Tesla was happy with, partly because of the battery tech available to use at reasonable prices of the time, but partly because they tried to start with an ICE car and convert it to electric.

Spotted this morning in Rotterdam port. Destination Frankfurt...
And after arrival at Tesla Frankfurt...
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG
IMG_1211.JPG

I am pretty sure that GE number plate on the right is from SWITZERLAND. They have the CD and then GE exactly as shown.

Tesla have service centres in Switzerland but this may well still be FRANKFURT and the car on the right is there for a special service or it broke down :)

The guys are wearing TESLA sweatshirts with a very popular and typical German brand of work trousers.

engelbert strauss workwear

Yes, there are definitely three Model S with Swiss license plates, the CD GE is a Geneva Diplomatic plate .. then you see the other car, that looks like VD, another canton in Switzerland next to Geneva and then you see the grey car w/o wheels, the front license plate is a small one (only Switzerland has them in Europe) mounted below the nose cone ...

If the tiny plate can only be Swiss then having 3 Swiss cars seems like more than coincidence. I could imagine one in FFT, but 3 indicates it is your side of the border!!! The mystery deepens.....

As two of the cars look like Geneva based then it must be here:

Tesla Store & Service Center Bern-Zentweg
Address: Zentweg 1A, 3006 Bern, Switzerland

The other service centres are up in Zurich and Basel.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
The picture below has been taken at the opening of the Berne service Center, but the blue Model X shown in PaulusdB's posting should be in the Geneva service Center (Meyrin, to be exact). The swiss license plates say GE xxxx CD (Geneva, car of a "Corps Diplomatique" = CD) resp. VD xxx (VD = canton of Vaud, close to Geneva).

If the tiny plate can only be Swiss then having 3 Swiss cars seems like more than coincidence. I could imagine one in FFT, but 3 indicates it is your side of the border!!! The mystery deepens.....

As two of the cars look like Geneva based then it must be here:

Tesla Store & Service Center Bern-Zentweg
Address: Zentweg 1A, 3006 Bern, Switzerland

The other service centres are up in Zurich and Basel.

View attachment 110918

Yes, there are definitely three Model S with Swiss license plates, the CD GE is a Geneva Diplomatic plate .. then you see the other car, that looks like VD, another canton in Switzerland next to Geneva and then you see the grey car w/o wheels, the front license plate is a small one (only Switzerland has them in Europe) mounted below the nose cone ...

Don't they have small front license plates in Italy as well? But agree, that it must be in Switzerland

Tesla Shifts Gears to Send Model X SUVs to China Before Europe - Bloomberg Business

Lovely. I think this may be the nail in the coffin that gets me to request my €4.000 back.

Funny, that the body of the article doesn't actually mention Europe, but I was under the impression that Europe should start configuring in a few weeks (same time as Geneva Auto-Show). It's only a few weeks difference and it feels like the X was designed for the Chinese market (e.g. Big Hepa Filter and BioWeapons Defense Mode). My guess is that they'll be doing the same thing as they did in Canada. The Signatures will be allowed to configure a few months before they open it up to regular production holders.

I am sure Tesla has run the maths on this one. They will have calculated losing only xx reservations in Europe due to further delays against selling more units longterm into China.

I also think the exchange rate is a problem. The Euro is weak against the Dollar at €1 to $1.10 whereas back when doing the numbers 2 years ago and earlier it was up at €1 to $1.40 - and Tesla want mainly to calculate $$$ earnings for their business (either way they are never going to sell them CHEAPER over here).

Here in Europe we already pay a premium of 20-25% once currency converted for a Tesla Model S. They have not released €uro pricing on the Model X but must assume the same 20-25% premium.

(p.s. It may be that cartax in the USA is much lower than Europe - I am not up on how it is calculated over there)

I am guessing a fully specced X unit will be around €160,000 as the S is €150,000 with all the bells on. Converted back into $$$ that is $176,000

Tesla told me earlier in the month I can "soon" configure, but I suspect the price in €uros is gonna make me run for the hills.

Also with the China priority (they pay in $$$) I don't think we will see units here until early 2017. The Audi Q6 electric car is due they reckon early 2018 and with a price guide of €80,000 to €100,000 so I am concerned that if I was to purchase a €160,000 Tesla that after 12 months the value will have crashed by 50%.

I know everyone here will laugh and scoff because I am on a Tesla forum but look at the intended specs and photos:

Audi Q6: price, specs and release date | carwow

310 mile range, and probably cableless induction charging.

You can see if in Europe and I take delivery of a 2017 Tesla Model X I could lose a serious chunk of change.

p.s. I put my deposit down a year ago, the car was *released* in September 2015 and we still don't have €uro pricing? Is it a big secret?

Last edited: