Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Steering Vibration at High Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experienced the same problem w my X 22" onyx wheel. First time at SC, they said its Software problem so they disabled a few options, but that didnt fix the problem. After a day of keeping the vehicle, they said the passenger wheel is cracked, i asked them to show me the crack but they said the crack is inside and they already mounted the wheel back.
Then they swapped it out with a loaner wheel while im waiting for my referral wheels, during the test drive, i pointed out that the problem is still there. They said that they will have the fremont SC to do a full calibration on all wheels and suspension. I asked if they were sure on the crack wheels and they were pretty certain of it. I then scheduled another appointment and someone called me and said that i'll need to contact my insurance since the cracked wheel caused other problems... Wtf?!?
Seems weird and awfyl that they couldnt figure out the actual cause to the vibrations of their most advanced vehicle and been passing it back and forth.
Im bringing it back to another SC next week so will see what happens.

Did you happen to get the new tires on yet? Make a difference?

Got them. Made a huge difference, entirely smooth ride now. Besides, these tires confirm my previous findings that the winter tires have to come from Nokian and the summer ones from Goodyear. High recommendation for the Goodyear Eagle F1, drives like a dream and is very silent. I guess they are one contributing factor why Audi E-tron is so silent.. X got A LOT better with these. I might even call it silent now.

• Informative
Reactions: BigMskiman
Got them. Made a huge difference, entirely smooth ride now. Besides, these tires confirm my previous findings that the winter tires have to come from Nokian and the summer ones from Goodyear. High recommendation for the Goodyear Eagle F1, drives like a dream and is very silent. I guess they are one contributing factor why Audi E-tron is so silent.. X got A LOT better with these. I might even call it silent now.
Was yours just making noise before or shaking/vibrating while traveling at high speed?
Also did they balance all wheels and torque up all the suspension?

Was yours just making noise before or shaking/vibrating while traveling at high speed?
Also did they balance all wheels and torque up all the suspension?

It started vibrating at 130km/h, getting steadily worse going faster. New tires and balancing fixed it, nothing was done to the suspension. Actually better now than it was new.

Raven Owner Update: After a second service center visit they did a road force balance this time on the front wheels and the vibrating steering wheel at high speeds is no longer an issue. However, the steering wheel still has some vibrations but this is more due to driving/road conditions than the steering wheel itself vibrating simply because it is at a higher speed. I am relieved!!! Hallelujah!

Have a feb 2017 100D.. preowned, purchased August 2019.. Have been at the service center 3 times now since September..
I had shudder and a funny sound when i turn wheel end to end..

youtube.com/watch?v=M_ZrJADUvJ0

First visit (Sep 18th) they replaced the half Shafts.. the Shudder was reduced. but the sound existed.. I was also struggling to keep the car straight after the change.. The noise did not reduce.

2nd visit (Sep 26th) : the retorqued the suspension and replaced the clevis joint.. informed me the noise is normal for a model X.. it is because of sway bar link stretching to the limits while turning.. never had that in another other car.. Please watch the video and let me know if you have this on your Model x too.. you dont have to drive. just put your car to N and turn the wheel all the way to the left / right..

But I still could not keep the car to drive straight.. took it to a tire shop (Sep 30th).. replaced tires (Cont DWS06) balanced, road force (highest was 12LB, tesla says anything under 30 LB is acceptable ) and did alignment, was quiet a bit out of alignment, not sure why SC did not catch it.. but nevertheless..

Definitely a marked improvement... but over 80 I still have slight vibrations.. also the car feels like its not planted.. (cant explain it any better)

Its in the SC again today !

did anyone figure out what this is? i'm on my 4th visit to tesla - they've now had it for 2 weeks. 2nd time they've road force balanced, now replaced the half shafts and even did alignment. i'm hoping when i pick up tomorrow no more vibration.

PS it starts at 70/75mph+ vibration in wheel and throughout entire car. i don't understand what else it can be but wildly frustrating. have only had the car 6 weeks - almost 3 of them without the car trying to fix this issue.

did anyone figure out what this is? i'm on my 4th visit to tesla - they've now had it for 2 weeks. 2nd time they've road force balanced, now replaced the half shafts and even did alignment. i'm hoping when i pick up tomorrow no more vibration.

PS it starts at 70/75mph+ vibration in wheel and throughout entire car. i don't understand what else it can be but wildly frustrating. have only had the car 6 weeks - almost 3 of them without the car trying to fix this issue.

I was in the same boat, turns out it’s something in the wheels. Mine are the 22 black turbines. There was no crack or bent was visible, but if they put the wheel on the balancing machine without the tire they found there was a slight vibration that they could not fix. I could hardly see it not sure if the video below helps but please do ask the SC

With no crack, bend or even scratch on the wheel I really felt that it may have been a manufacturing issue. Mines a 2017 MX. had to pay 1500 or so for each front wheel, the car does drive like new now. The $3800 bill stinks. But the difference is remarkable

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: User01
I was told last Friday car was ready Friday, but lead tech had to drive it. Was told Monday would be ready. That turned into Tuesday.

Tuesday I pick up the Model X - was told half shafts were replaced as a "just in case." Also, apparently they replaced front passenger wheel and tire. On top of back wheel because the tech apparently curbed it while was in service.

Long story short, pull out - as soon as give the Model X power car cut to the right like crazy. Went back, tech tells me it's torque steer which immediately I said absolutely not. Drove another Model X on the lot and nothing like mine. Cut to 4 hours later, am told alignment was done while I stood by but still pulls to right and they have to keep it longer.

Will be coming up on 3 weeks Tuesday without a brand new Model X I just picked up in early September. No one gets back to me, and no one apparently cares.

Worst choice ever getting into this car.

I was told last Friday car was ready Friday, but lead tech had to drive it. Was told Monday would be ready. That turned into Tuesday.

Tuesday I pick up the Model X - was told half shafts were replaced as a "just in case." Also, apparently they replaced front passenger wheel and tire. On top of back wheel because the tech apparently curbed it while was in service.

Long story short, pull out - as soon as give the Model X power car cut to the right like crazy. Went back, tech tells me it's torque steer which immediately I said absolutely not. Drove another Model X on the lot and nothing like mine. Cut to 4 hours later, am told alignment was done while I stood by but still pulls to right and they have to keep it longer.

Will be coming up on 3 weeks Tuesday without a brand new Model X I just picked up in early September. No one gets back to me, and no one apparently cares.

Worst choice ever getting into this car.

I understand the frustration. Quality is average at best, service is below average but it is my favorite car. I have some fun vehicles but when the time came to get a new commuter - I bought a duplicate of my wife's X. Hopefully you will enjoy it soon.

I understand the frustration. Quality is average at best, service is below average but it is my favorite car. I have some fun vehicles but when the time came to get a new commuter - I bought a duplicate of my wife's X. Hopefully you will enjoy it soon.
any updates? my early Sept X has shudder and overall vibration 45MPH+ especially in the steering wheel.

I have the vibration also on our P100D X. It's most noticeable at 70mph+ and when I accelerate hard I hear a voice coming from the left side of the car. Our Model 3 is silky smooth and quiet in comparison. I have the 22s also and have a service appointment for tomorrow.

Tesla doesn't cover suspension damage under warranty? And charge for diagnostics? My car was purchased June 2019 and was never in an accident. They think the vibration is from wheel damage but I find that hard to believe. Really hope they fix it and there aren't any charges.

Same, i had to pay $3800 for 2 new front wheels.. there was no damage to the wheel, never in an accident, there was not even a scratch..

I asked for warranty and they decline it ! Mine are the 22 black turbines.. are there others in the same situation ?

Same, i had to pay $3800 for 2 new front wheels.. there was no damage to the wheel, never in an accident, there was not even a scratch..

I asked for warranty and they decline it ! Mine are the 22 black turbines.. are there others in the same situation ?

My car only has 13k miles on it and tires only have 6k on them as when I got the car as a new demo they put a new set on. Id be annoyed if they charged me that much. Was your vibration actually fixed?

Last edited: