Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Sunshade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's wrong with engineering an electronic shade in this age of high tech just like the ones from Boeing 787 windows:

787windows2.jpg

There is nothing wrong with it. By all means they should do this.

What's wrong with engineering an electronic shade in this age of high tech just like the ones from Boeing 787 windows:
Without going into it too much, you can go back to this part of the Model X Mules thread and read about it. @AnxietyRanger also started a thread about it. We found some good linkage to an engineer who worked with electrochromic glass. Specifically, there was a photo posted on reddit of an X mule inside of a factory owned by the company who also makes the 787 glass. So yeah, we were pretty hopeful. It's quite possible they investigated it, and eventually dropped it. Probably best, even though it would be cool.

Did you find it from heat shield? That is what I got and as far as functionality it works great but it is ugly. I sent mine back to exchange it to the black ones hopefully those will do a better job at matching the interior.

Yes, HeatShield. They're based in Morgan Hill, CA. I plan to stop by next week on my way South to Monterey to check out their shades. I understand the outside part is either silver or gold mylar.

"Captain Sunshade":

How about a solid sunshade that matches the alcantara of the headliner and seamlessly fits in like it is suppose to be a part of the car

Hi Captain,

I visited HeatShield on Monday. Their designer gave my family and I a tour of the factory under NDA (very impressed with the way the sunshades are rapidly precision cut for all vehicle types.) The shades use little suction cups to attach to the large expanses of glass.

I passed along your idea for a solid sunshade that matches the light or dark alcantara of the headliner to the designer. He said it is possible, since they do that for their aircraft shades, but made no commitment. If others share the Captain's and my interest in this, please email them at [email protected] so they can gauge the demand for it.

When we were leaving, the business co-owner saw our X. She told us she had reserved one, but couldn't wait for it, so she bought a Lexus hybrid SUV, instead. I told her I think the X is awesome, and she seemed very enthusiastic about it after my brief demo.

Ordered the silver mylar outside, white plastic inside. We have pearl white / white seats / dark alcantara. I thought the gold mylar on the outside would be too much bling, attracting extra unwanted attention to a vehicle that's already very high-profile. It was $199 for full coverage with a Father's Day discount.

Am stopping by Friday on our way to Monterey for a 3-day weekend to pick them up. Will post some photos when I get a chance...

Yes, HeatShield. They're based in Morgan Hill, CA. I plan to stop by next week on my way South to Monterey to check out their shades. I understand the outside part is either silver or gold mylar.

Reactions: K-MTG