Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to convince wife to approve getting a model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty into model x right now given recent incentives, and test drives we've been doing. and how it has large space and many cool techs etc.
However, I can't find a way to convince my wife, to allow me to get the X for the family.
The top 2 points for her to not get one are:
  1. The look. for near 100k, exterior looks worse than the 30k civic we have now. Interior is just alright.
  2. Screens and all the unconventional handling. For one, she doesn't enjoy learning new way of doing things, that don't have apparent benefits, some even has drawbacks. And it's a safety hazard to look at not so large fonts to find various functionalities, while driving.
And than there are other things she doesn't like, but can at least try look past them.
  1. bad build quality, for a near 100k car. Likely needing to go for service repair multiple times a year. (judging from most of user experience sharing we've seen online)
  2. Too fast. especially for her as a passenger
  3. falcon door too flashy and draws unwanted attention
FWIW, we can afford 100k car, but it's also not pocket change, and we generally don't spend extra on "luxury" things. She does say that 50k might be ok and even if we dump it in a year it won't be that much a loss financially. but model Y is just too ugly even for me to consider it (purely personal opinion)
Any advice to help get her to approve the purchase?

Blancexx, marriage is about being able to sell ideas...no wife will accept what a husband says first time, they have to be worked on...repeatedly..over time. For example, the gull doors...isn’t it great for the baby seat, no more bending over...if you are past that stage in life...isn’t it great for the grandkids...the dog, no more bending over to clip on his harness.. ..if none of this works, sell her credit, women love that..the next big decision is all yours darling....and when all else fails...give her uncomfortable choices...it’s either this or a boat !

Upvote 0
As an EV Consultant, here's simple advice. Go arrange for demo drives. First have her drive a Model Y, then drive a Model X. In all fairness, if she doesn't like the X, don't push it too hard. Happy to assist further here or via DM, just don't want to overwhelm you with a zillion things

Upvote 0
I guess my wife is strange. She wouldn't be in anything but her MX. She really didn't like the MY I had. Too bumpy. She didn't like driving the Model 3 for she thinks it's a clown car and she is sitting on the ground. When it comes to her X, she is in love with it and she's not a car kind of person. The Model X comes with a lot of diva perks that you don't find on other cars. The opening of the driver door when you approach is very addicting. The FWD on our 2018 have just worked. With the 3rd row seating this always brings passenger options. The full front windshield is down right awesome as if you're inside a helicopter where you see everything. Another plus is you can tow really anything within reason. Karen loves taken her car to local shows and is really proud of the features and size of the vehicle. I would say she has well over 20 trophies. Did I mention she's not a car kind of person?

• Funny
Reactions: Bouba
Upvote 0
As an EV Consultant, here's simple advice. Go arrange for demo drives. First have her drive a Model Y, then drive a Model X. In all fairness, if she doesn't like the X, don't push it too hard. Happy to assist further here or via DM, just don't want to overwhelm you with a zillion things
Good advice. In fact, don't limit test drives to just Tesla models - check out say, the BMW iX and Kia EV9 for comparison. Then, have her weigh the pros & cons of each.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Sorry, nothing you can do about this. Well, maybe you can do a sparkly pink wrap!
This will change it up. Yuck.

1691691964302.png

• Funny
Reactions: rmaz and zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the great advice!

I think i'm convinced that I should not get a X at this point in time lol. Just too much things needed to convince my wife at once. and happy wife happy life is what I think as well.

I actually rented X for a day for us to do a extended test.
She's pretty good as imagining things she'd like or not before trying things out so there's not much changed after end of the day.

But one thing that I'm thinking right now is actually to get a Y instead. LR can be had for under 45k now, which is quite a lot of car for the price point.
And like you guys mentioned, it'd be a great entry point to get her familiar with tesla and EV life.
And for me as well since it's my first EV so perhaps not doing a 100k one at the get go would be a smart idea. If i ended up hating it, it won't be as big of a deprecation hit either.

It's going to be worse than X for sure, and to be it doesn't have any of the cool factors that X has, and worse ride/looks and all that, but If wife agrees to buy our second car as a purely for fun that no need to care about practicality, that might be ok to compensate having a rather ugly, and purely utility oriented Y.
Plus it's rather not very expensive and doesn't look too good so that road trip or visiting shady part of the city won't make me worry much on the car getting dirty/dinged or whatever.

Now I just need to test drive a Y to see if it's ride is acceptable for long drive.

Reactions: Bigriver
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the great advice!

I think i'm convinced that I should not get a X at this point in time lol. Just too much things needed to convince my wife at once. and happy wife happy life is what I think as well.

I actually rented X for a day for us to do a extended test.
She's pretty good as imagining things she'd like or not before trying things out so there's not much changed after end of the day.

But one thing that I'm thinking right now is actually to get a Y instead. LR can be had for under 45k now, which is quite a lot of car for the price point.
And like you guys mentioned, it'd be a great entry point to get her familiar with tesla and EV life.
And for me as well since it's my first EV so perhaps not doing a 100k one at the get go would be a smart idea. If i ended up hating it, it won't be as big of a deprecation hit either.

It's going to be worse than X for sure, and to be it doesn't have any of the cool factors that X has, and worse ride/looks and all that, but If wife agrees to buy our second car as a purely for fun that no need to care about practicality, that might be ok to compensate having a rather ugly, and purely utility oriented Y.
Plus it's rather not very expensive and doesn't look too good so that road trip or visiting shady part of the city won't make me worry much on the car getting dirty/dinged or whatever.

Now I just need to test drive a Y to see if it's ride is acceptable for long drive.
Excellent, your choice of a Y will average out a win. Happy life!

Upvote 0
it doesn't have any of the cool factors that X has
But the model Y does have the most amazing glass roof. I was at the Tesla service center recently and was killing time alternating between sitting in a model Y and a model X, which were right next to each other. I am not often a backseat passenger, but I think I would prefer sitting in the back seat of the Y. It feels so open. And has a fold down armrest, something which I can’t comprehend why the model X does not have (for 5 and 7 seat config).

Upvote 0
I know the OP has already made his decision, but if someone else reads this, I say threaten to buy a Hummer EV! That's what you really need! The X will feel positively prosaic after that.

On to the actual. My wife loved the ride. The Y was "way too bumpy". The falcon wing doors make access for our mobility challenged riders so much better. Who are we kidding, we're pushing 70 so that'll be us soon enough!

A good used X can be had for 50k nowadays. (We found a 2018 100d for under 40.) You can buy a lot of service for the difference! And you're not likely to need it anyway. This also solves the "weird steering wheel" complaint, as they didn't have it then - just drive it like a regular car.

My wife was also hesitant but now loves the x. Even though she hated my Model S, possibly my favorite car ever. I must admit that I am coming to like the x as well. mostly for the driving experience, as others have mentioned.

Reactions: Pricedm
Upvote 0
I went to look at a Y as I take advantage of FSD transfer. Model X (5 seat) has a lot more rear seat leg/ knee room compared to Y. Plus the ventilated seats. So tempting!
Good luck with your decision.

Attachments

• 71268944702__48C1DA9A-F134-4D8C-BF5B-74D67D3A85BD.jpeg
    71268944702__48C1DA9A-F134-4D8C-BF5B-74D67D3A85BD.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7838.jpeg
    IMG_7838.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0