Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X suspension issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I currently have an horrendous squeaking front drivers side suspension. I have taken it to Leeds SC and its a dry cup at the top. Has anyone else had this issue and has anyone used a non SC for repairs.
Thanks
Steve

Give us details on your Model X's.

2017 Model X 100D, got the upper control arms replaced at about 85k miles.
The issue happens within about 3 weeks on both front sides. Each cost about $850...
They (Service Center) told us that normal wear and tear “since it’s a heavy car”.
Even though there are cars out there with hundreds of thousands of miles without getting it replaced...

Reactions: DanCar
2017 Model X 100D, got the upper control arms replaced at about 85k miles.
The issue happens within about 3 weeks on both front sides. Each cost about $850...
They (Service Center) told us that normal wear and tear “since it’s a heavy car”.
Even though there are cars out there with hundreds of thousands of miles without getting it replaced...

Is this really normal? I recently complained about a creaking noise but could have had it for months or years...my ears were not tuned to hear it and I hardly ever have a passenger in the front seat, much less someone with car knowledge.

When I asked how common this is...i.e. how many of these repairs do you do on the X each month and how old/what mileage are the vehicles (he didn't answer specifically) but said: This isn't a common repair that we perform on these vehicles. The rubber bushings show normal wear for 60k miles. He said the fore and aft suspension links are torn and need replacement and that this is not covered by my extended service agreement bc it is a wearable component on the car. Estimated cost to replace is about $2k. Seriously? I just paid over 5k for the extended warranty.

Hi, I own a Tesla X from 2016-one of the first batch off the line I think. For the past year, I have had my Tesla in for service for suspension related issues about 6 times. There was a big creak/squeak that no one seemed to experience when it was in for service. Finally they said it was the "boot" covering the suspension system and it should be replaced in the next 6 months. I did so, and paid for the repair, then , on a long drive-DC to Canada, The suspension seemed to fail altogether. I was tossed all over the car on relatively smooth roads. I had the car towed to the service center and they repaired the front suspension, said the other side would b\need replacing in a few months. The suspension was very tight and the smooth ride was gone-very bumpy-another trip to service. They said the electronics did not communicate to the suspension that it was fixed. -a week later, I got my car back with no improvement. I made ANOTHER service appointment and Then, on a trip to Montreal, the wipers failed-for the 4th time!) the service center there told me the entire suspension system was corroded and parts were fully broken. They said that I ran the risk of the tires falling off and they would make me sign that they were not responsible if I did not make the repairs. Soooo-$4,000 later, my car still has a very bumpy ride and my nech is so sore from just driving and being tossed around the car.

Does anyone think the recent recall for the steering components that were corroded by road salt, could have also mucked up my suspension? I loved my car, but am about to give it up!

Does anyone think the recent recall for the steering components that were corroded by road salt, could have also mucked up my suspension? I loved my car, but am about to give it up!
Wow. Glad I don't live in heavy snow country and only dabble in it a few times a week.

The only issues I have had was a steering boot that had broken, coroided and made a knocking noise. I really did not notice a change in the steering but I think they caught it early. They replaced both sides as a precaution.

The other front suspension problem is that I have gone through two sets of air struts. They keep failing and making loud clunking sounds at low speeds over bumps.

We had both our upper control arms replaced because of an annoying squeaking noise. Especially while turning at low speed and going over speed bumps...

My MX P100D, bought in 12/2017. It has less than 20K miles when the squeaky noise started, and it sounds like an old vehicle with all the creaking sound in slow speeds and over speed bumps. I am embarrassed to even drive the car. SC in SF tells me that's normal as the car is heavy. Then they should have designed control arms that support the weight. I have an appointment to come back in to replace them, and just hope it's NOT an issue to replace it under warranty.

Reactions: NoSoup4U!
We have a 2016 Model x currently with less than 21K miles. We've had a knocking noise on the front passenger side for the last two years. We've taken the car in for a complete annual inspection in early 2020 at a cost before the warranty expired and told them about the knocking noise. They didn't notice any troubling noise. Within one week of the inspection, an electrical harnessing issue occurred which they repaired. At that time of service, we asked them to look at the knocking issue but they said they didn't notice a noise or issue. We recently took the car in for service to address the recent three recalls on the model x. We also asked them to look at the knocking noise. This time (after warranty expired) they found the noise and repaired the suspension at a cost of $4K. Conveniently, this issue was not listed as something they looked into in all the prior service appointments since the car was originally serviced for other issues. Seems like this should have been covered by warranty since we've noticed the noise issue prior to the warranty expiring.

Conveniently, this issue was not listed as something they looked into in all the prior service appointments since the car was originally serviced for other issues. Seems like this should have been covered by warranty since we've noticed the noise issue prior to the warranty expiring.
I save all the pre and post invoices and work orders for just this reason. Did you look into your account on Tesla.com and see if any of the work orders were there? Usually even the invoice has the customer issues mentioned at the top.

We have a 2016 Model x currently with less than 21K miles. We've had a knocking noise on the front passenger side for the last two years. We've taken the car in for a complete annual inspection in early 2020 at a cost before the warranty expired and told them about the knocking noise. They didn't notice any troubling noise. Within one week of the inspection, an electrical harnessing issue occurred which they repaired. At that time of service, we asked them to look at the knocking issue but they said they didn't notice a noise or issue. We recently took the car in for service to address the recent three recalls on the model x. We also asked them to look at the knocking noise. This time (after warranty expired) they found the noise and repaired the suspension at a cost of $4K. Conveniently, this issue was not listed as something they looked into in all the prior service appointments since the car was originally serviced for other issues. Seems like this should have been covered by warranty since we've noticed the noise issue prior to the warranty expiring.
I have a sporadic knocking sound coming from the front passenger side of my 2019 Model X as well when I turn the steering wheel to the left. The first time I took it in, they verified the noise and "tightened all the bolts" but the sound was still there. I took it in again and they could not reproduce for the second time so nothing was done. Do you know where they found the noise and what they did to repair? Also, I have creaking noises in my suspension that the service center said was normal, which I find odd.

I have a sporadic knocking sound coming from the front passenger side of my 2019 Model X as well when I turn the steering wheel to the left. The first time I took it in, they verified the noise and "tightened all the bolts" but the sound was still there. I took it in again and they could not reproduce for the second time so nothing was done. Do you know where they found the noise and what they did to repair? Also, I have creaking noises in my suspension that the service center said was normal, which I find odd.
They tried replacing the swing arm but realized that was not the issue. After trial and error they replaced the RH/LH Front Air Spring Module and the knocking noise seems to have disappeared. They said that the crack was inside the module. I described the noise as a rattle initially, thinking something was rolling around in the frunk. It was more of a knocking noise and I didn't have any creaking and it occurred even when I was steering straight at low and high speeds. I hope they'll be able to find the noise issue in your suspension before your warranty expires. It was unfortunate that we didn't make sure that this issue was documented the other times we had taken the car in within the warranty period. Good luck.

I save all the pre and post invoices and work orders for just this reason. Did you look into your account on Tesla.com and see if any of the work orders were there? Usually even the invoice has the customer issues mentioned at the top.
Finally found the previous service records and it stated that they replaced the hub to address the noise complaint while still in warranty. Since we only drove the car for 5K and 18 months after that last service, we didn't give the knocking noise much thought when we hear it and only decided to have them take a look at it again since we have three recalls to service. They told us that too much time has passed and the noise issue the first time was already addressed. Our car only has 21K and a break or crack in the suspension seems unlikely to be a wear and tear nor driver error. Lesson learned to be more proactive once there is an issue, especially within the warranty period.

I just had my half shafts replaced on my 2017 model X - they are telling me my bushings are torn and should be replaced? Is this not something covered under warranty or a TSB. He said the boots are torn but the bushings have not failed yet ? Trying to understand my options and the best thing to do?

I just had my half shafts replaced on my 2017 model X - they are telling me my bushings are torn and should be replaced? Is this not something covered under warranty or a TSB. He said the boots are torn but the bushings have not failed yet ? Trying to understand my options and the best thing to do?

Unfortunately, the boots that seal off the ball joints from dirt and debris and keep the grease in the ball joint tear on most cars over time/mileage. The ball joint doesn't fail immediately, but its life is greatly reduced once the grease gets out and dirt gets in. 2017 is not that old though.

It's not easy on cars to change just the boots. It can be done before the ball joint is damaged, but since it's a lot of work, most people just wait until the ball joint goes bad and starts becoming noisy before doing anything about it. Some people let the noise go until the wheels fall off the car. But those people ignored all the warning signs!

Here's more info on ball joints applicable to all vehicles: