Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Tilt and Matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a Model 3 w/o matrix and now have a Model 3 with matrix. Matrix seems a little bit brighter/better but not by a lot. The main point of having matrix (to me at least) is not even implemented I think, on any Tesla yet. Most incumbent brands have inceasingly been implementing dynamic headlights over the last several years - since a year or two ago with next gen hardware/10x(?) more individually controlled LEDs. Headlights is one of the few areas where Tesla is really behind on the technology curve compared to competitors, IMO.

#Unverified #Speculation #Gossip #LowExpectationsButHighHopes 😒

As some of you may know, all headlights for Model S and Model X are made in Mexico. Yesterday I was searching Twitter for a pair of headlights to replace the ones no longer working on my Model S, and I figured I could buy them new and much much cheaper direct from the manufacturer down in Mexico, instead of the ridiculous price Tesla has them going for :rolleyes:, or cheaper than the broken/repaired ones sold on eBay.

But anyway, during my search I found this tweet that seems to be from an engineer/quality control employee at the manufacturing plant mentioning they are now testing or "measuring" the new Model X headlights :oops::

Screenshot_20221118_084356.jpg

Seeing that not even Tesla employees [outside of a very few], know about actual product roadmaps, heck even the Tesla CEO has it's own interpretation of time, I don't believe a supplier, or any of it's employees are aware of when the new headlights will actually be fitted to the Model X (let alone the 2 years from now mentioned in the tweet above), but this seems to be a good sign of things to come!

Safe to say, take this with a grain of salt...

• Informative
Reactions: Genie
#Unverified #Speculation #Gossip #LowExpectationsButHighHopes 😒

Seeing that not even Tesla employees [outside of a very few], know about actual product roadmaps, heck even the Tesla CEO has it's own interpretation of time, I don't believe a supplier, or any of it's employees are aware of when the new headlights will actually be fitted to the Model X (let alone the 2 years from now mentioned in the tweet above), but this seems to be a good sign of things to come!

Safe to say, take this with a grain of salt...
The other thing to keep in mind, anything you try to find, must now be able to run from 16 volts, rather than 13 volts used on legacy models.

I received my X on Dec 27, 2022 and sorry to report no matrix headlights.

It does have the tilt screen and also the larger rear screen and when I asked the SA he confirmed new Samsung cameras (tho not 100% on cameras as its my first X and have no prior reference point).

I received my X on Dec 27, 2022 and sorry to report no matrix headlights.

It does have the tilt screen and also the larger rear screen and when I asked the SA he confirmed new Samsung cameras (tho not 100% on cameras as its my first X and have no prior reference point).
I saw a photo of a test model 3 with what looked like cameras in the headlights. If that is part of HW4, maybe we will see matrix headlights on the X at the same time as HW4.

The refresh X / plaid in Europe got a hybrid of the old and new lights. Old HW but tesla have opened the headlights and added something inside them (EU headlights with something extra. Not US headlights converted to EU).
The code sent to the headlights is also "new". It's some of the old LIN code. And some "new" code from model 3. There's headlights is possible to program. The old wasn't.
The headlights is soo poorly put back together, so I think they will ship the new headlights in some weeks. Not sure the headlights that's delivered to EU will last months in this weather. Water coming in.. And the "seald" contacts works as draining 😂

Attachments

• 0D5B155F-CA52-44B2-8F65-C4D28715655F.jpeg
    0D5B155F-CA52-44B2-8F65-C4D28715655F.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 2AB55E91-17B7-4F83-91AC-52301B4A6A28.jpeg
    2AB55E91-17B7-4F83-91AC-52301B4A6A28.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 137
The refresh X / plaid in Europe got a hybrid of the old and new lights. Old HW but tesla have opened the headlights and added something inside them (EU headlights with something extra. Not US headlights converted to EU).
The code sent to the headlights is also "new". It's some of the old LIN code. And some "new" code from model 3. There's headlights is possible to program. The old wasn't.
The headlights is soo poorly put back together, so I think they will ship the new headlights in some weeks. Not sure the headlights that's delivered to EU will last months in this weather. Water coming in.. And the "seald" contacts works as draining 😂

BC2082A0-73FB-48D7-A73C-4CC4BA96F649.jpeg

Hey Tesla, I will release more can, Lin data AND iso of your updates. If you don't stop sending my car more software updates. Please stop it. IL update myself or contact a service center if I want it.
(Also get your design team to fix the water from the windshield. You bring it straight down to several contacts on the inverter. Highvolt etc etc. Water expand when it's going from liquid to ice.. We saw it started happening when it was raining and got cold. Stupid design flaw..

Got a photo of the headlights assembled?