Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X tow capacity is too low for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and while it has 7,000 lb towing capacity, I would never want to be towing something that heavy. You get into a tail wagging the dog issue when in an emergency situation, and because the trailer weighs more than the tow vehicle, the trailer can take over under certain circumstances.

Just because the vehicle is rated for a certain amount, does not mean that it is prudent to do so.

Need to have the right weapon for your battles. If you want to tow 10,000 lbs you should consider a diesel truck with specifically designed configurations.

Towing 5 tons is a significant undertaking.

In my case I want one very nice SUV that can tow a travel trailer. Travel around . Park the trailer somewhere and then I have the ultimate car to drive around.
Also I will be able to move all kinds of stuff towing a utility trailer.

Be nice to Tow a travel trailer and not worry about MPG

have you considered down sizing the travel trailer ? less than 5000lbs still gets you a VERY roomy trailer unless you are a family of 12 or something.

I need a bit more info from TM on the towing details as well. The vehicle it would potentially replace is a RR Sport (tow capacity 7,700#). I consider the RR sport to be an X competitor....... snip.....
iirc, in 2006 - when we unloaded our (constantly in the shop for warranty work) 2003 RR - it was averaging only 13mpg towing nothing . But hey, at least they always had warm oatmeal raisin cookies waiting for us in the service area. $80k POS. 90 days prior to end of warranty, a little yellow triangle comes on the dash - it says "maintenance required". It seems, with no symptoms, the transaxle had to be replaced. $6,000 part plus labor. We unloaded that pig before the warranty expired. Dodged a bullet.

Last edited:
The Model X being rated for 5000 lbs is perfect for the light weight more aerodynamic trailers. Check out brands like Trailmanor, HiLo, or any tent trailer, I have a 15,000 Gross weight toyhauler 5th wheel, and have experience towing many different RV and car hauler trailers. The true question will be if Model X is rated to only have a dead weight style hitch rated at say 600 pounds vs. a weight distributing hitch rated at 1000 lbs. Some uni-body SUV's are not rated to use a weight distributing hitch at all.

The true question will be if Model X is rated to only have a dead weight style hitch rated at say 600 pounds vs. a weight distributing hitch rated at 1000 lbs. Some uni-body SUV's are not rated to use a weight distributing hitch at all.
I've been wondering about the hitch, and hope someone with knowledge of hitches gets their X on the 29th, and can let us know about what they find.

It's kind of hilarious that you expected the model X to tow 10,000lbs. My F150 Ecoboost can't do that, and it is designed specifically to tow with a body on frame chassis and leaf spring rear suspension. There's no freaking way a unibody electric crossover would be safe towing 10,000 even if it could do so for more than 10 miles or so, which it couldn't.

Just a question for all those suggesting buying lighter weight travel trailers and stuff for their X's. Why haven't you bought one already?

OK you are still using an ICE, but you could already be doing your bit for the planet with lower MPGs.

I don't currently own a travel trailer.

If someone hasn't already done so by the time my MX is delivered, I plan to do extensive testing to find which specific trailer will meet my needs both on the road and while camping. If there is not one, I'll do on-road testing to determine the best configuration from a range standpoint, then design and build the camping functionality into a custom trailer.

We don't know enough about how towing will affect MX performance to just go buy one now. If we already owned the trailer, then we'd have "requirements" like so many posting on this thread. I see it as finding the equipment to do what is needed with the MX, not being disappointed in the MX because it can't handle the toys I already own.

Last edited:

If someone hasn't already done so by the time my MX is delivered, I plan to do extensive testing to find which specific trailer will meet my needs both on the road and while camping. If there is not one, I'll do on-road testing to determine the best configuration from a range standpoint, then design and build the camping functionality into a custom trailer.

We don't know enough about how towing will affect MX performance to just go buy one now. If we already owned the trailer, then we'd have "requirements" like so many posting on this thread. I see it as finding the equipment to do what is needed with the MX, not being disappointed in the MX because it can't handle the toys I already own.

I'd be very curious to see your results ! Please keep us posted !

(Making myself a fully electric camper trailer to go with an electric car is one of my many very-long term dreams…)

If someone hasn't already done so by the time my MX is delivered, I plan to do extensive testing to find which specific trailer will meet my needs both on the road and while camping.
We don't know enough about how towing will affect MX performance to just go buy one now.

We also do not currently own a travel trailer, but plan to buy one that will work with our model X. I'm counting on more information about towing range to come from those ahead of me in line (and since we are in the 19,000 range in the US, I fully expect lots of info will be available).

It's kind of hilarious that you expected the model X to tow 10,000lbs. My F150 Ecoboost can't do that, and it is designed specifically to tow with a body on frame chassis and leaf spring rear suspension. There's no freaking way a unibody electric crossover would be safe towing 10,000 even if it could do so for more than 10 miles or so, which it couldn't.
++++ why would you expect to be able to tow that kind of weight with the Model X

++++ why would you expect to be able to tow that kind of weight with the Model X

Initially, I felt the X would have a towing capacity in the BMWX5 range 5-6,000 which would be a little under what I would need to pull the horse trailer I have. Then, Mr. Chen indicated in an off hand remark during a presentation that it would have class III capability (5K)...OK....but then slipped in that it would be up to 9,000 lbs. That would have been great.

So, for me, and most likely some other TMC members, I (we) did not pull the 'greater than 5,000 out of thin air. A senior executive at TM indicated a greater towing capacity.

http://gas2.org/2015/06/22/tesla-model-x-towing-capacity-close-to-10000-pounds/
He's saying that anyone who thought a CUV could tow more than his truck (itself not rated for 10 kips) is a fool. In other words, you are on the same page.

Well, I would not say it using that word. I was saying that you cannot expect an all electric SUV to tow 10,000 lbs. a better word would be naive.
That's a good word for it. Independent of the powertrain or any special sauce, a 6000 lb unibody and relatively short SUV just can't be a good tow vehicle for 10,000 lbs behind a hitch.

And when you couple in the bad aero of any 10,000 lb trailer, it just doesn't make sense for an electric powertrain that has limited range compared to a truck's often huge gas tank. My X5 (w/ a V8) will go 500 miles on the highway at 65 mph, which probably matches the average load of the EPA cycle, so it has effectively double the unladen range of the MX.

Keep in mind that to tow 10,000 lbs requires MUCH more than just an electric motor and a battery capable of doing it. The chassis and suspension have to be designed and engineered specifically for towing to handle that much weight, with all the compromises that involves. We're talking body-on-frame with leaf springs, and more than likely, heavy duty front suspension like a one ton diesel truck has. Many, many design compromises there that Mrs Rich Soccer mom targeted by Tesla for the X would immediately hate in normal driving. So to say the electric motor could move 10,000 lbs, while I am sure is true, is a long ways from rating that vehicle for towing 10,000 lbs.

Keep in mind that to tow 10,000 lbs requires MUCH more than just an electric motor and a battery capable of doing it. The chassis and suspension have to be designed and engineered specifically for towing to handle that much weight, with all the compromises that involves. We're talking body-on-frame with leaf springs, and more than likely, heavy duty front suspension like a one ton diesel truck has. Many, many design compromises there that Mrs Rich Soccer mom targeted by Tesla for the X would immediately hate in normal driving. So to say the electric motor could move 10,000 lbs, while I am sure is true, is a long ways from rating that vehicle for towing 10,000 lbs.
Agree here as well. Does not change the fact that a senior exec in the company gave people the impression that the X could tow close to 10k. I have been towing horse trailers of different sizes with different vehicles for years. When the speculation first started about the X and the towing ability I felt that it would be 2k rated as they would want to keep the frame and suspension very light. Only after Chen's assertions did I, and others, believe the towing capacity would support large boat, large camper and horse trailer towing.