Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X tow capacity is too low for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know Tesla is stating it is "rated for 5000 lbs of towing" but isn't that just a recommendation for optimal performance? If you wanted to pull something say 10,000 lbs in weight, wouldn't you just get less performance from the vehicle or is this a case of actually harming the vehicle and potentially ripping off the rear axel? Coming from someone who has never towed anything, I'm just curious at what the rating number really entails?
With an EV I would suggest two potential issues with towing beyond the rated capacity: the electric motor might have too much of a heat build up and more importantly you may damage the x's frame.

I have never seen a 'drive through' SC...but supposedly there are some. If someone comes across one please post a picture and maybe measure dimensions for 'pull through'. I do not think I will ever need/use one personally but one never knows.

Rocklin Supercharger:

rocklin supercharger.jpg

As for expecting Jim Chen to know all the details, I think that is unrealistic. The car was not finalized yet at that time and given Jim is Tesla's lawyer (not on the engineering side), he is not the best person in terms of knowing such details.

When Jim Chen made the statement about towing capacity of the Model X he did so with an air of certainty. I cannot see him making a speculative statement about the towing capacity of Tesla's long awaited flagship SUV. That would really not bode well for the company.

I suspect the actual specs once released will also show a WD rating with higher tow values

I trailer a 26' center console weighing 6,700lbs on a two axle trailer. The trailer has its own brakes which are engaged via brake actuator. When the towing vehicle slows down, the trailer slides forward a few inches and engages the brakes. When the tow vehicle resumes speed, it pulls on the actuator releasing the brakes. The only electrical component is the lock-out mechanism which prevents the brakes from engaging when backing up. As such, I don't see any issue with regen and trailer braking. They will work just fine together.

My boat trailer is similar. There is a brake cylinder in the trailer hitch. As the trailer pushes forward and exerts pressure towards the tow vehicle it applies the brake. I believe they are called surge brakes.

Of course any weight stopped by the trailer brakes goes to friction/heat and not regen.

Not to be rude... but really? you expected to tow this behind the MX (even if it could somehow support the tow weight) while getting over 200 miles of range?

First off that tow rating on an SUV is pretty much unheard of... so I don't know why you expected that. For the record on the 2015 MY, here are the very few choices that can handle that... and these are *very* beefy vehicles:

Silverado/Sierra 1500 (both the 5.3L V-8 and the 6.2L V-8)
Silverado/Sierra 2500 (all versions)
DODGE/RAM 2500 (all versions)
DODGE/RAM 3500 (all versions)
F-150 (5.0L V-8 and 3.5L V-6 TC)
F-250/350 (all versions)

And that is it... period. Notice a theme? Not only are these all trucks... but they are *big* trucks... If you drop the weight down to 10k it opens up more options, but even still you are looking at trucks only. SUVs just can't cut that weight, and very few trucks can.

As for the mileage, traditionally in trucks it is at least a 50% range hit, and given that a lot of what is helping the S and X get such good ranges is that they have very low drag coefficients I would not at all be surprised with a 75% or higher range hit on max loads. This might be the reason they capped it at 5,000 pounds as well and I believe someone had suggested this already. But getting 200 miles on the X when the range is looking to be around 250 for a non-performance (just a guess) you are living in a fantasy land... or this was a sarcastic post... because I just can't see how you expected this at all.

My goodness didn't you see the smiley face... It is sarcasm!

When Jim Chen made the statement about towing capacity of the Model X he did so with an air of certainty. I cannot see him making a speculative statement about the towing capacity of Tesla's long awaited flagship SUV. That would really not bode well for the company.

I suspect the actual specs once released will also show a WD rating with higher tow values
He may have said it with some confidence, but even immediately after he said it, it was quickly pointed out his claim wasn't consistent with how Class III is rated. And it takes some digging to find that reference. This was not a presentation for consumers, where I would expect any claims to be screened more thoroughly.

I know Tesla is stating it is "rated for 5000 lbs of towing" but isn't that just a recommendation for optimal performance? If you wanted to pull something say 10,000 lbs in weight, wouldn't you just get less performance from the vehicle or is this a case of actually harming the vehicle and potentially ripping off the rear axel? Coming from someone who has never towed anything, I'm just curious at what the rating number really entails?

In the UK it would be completely illegal. You would face a fine, and the load impounded until you came back with a suitable vehicle to collect it.

There are a number of factors that come into play. trailer "rating" as a % of towing vehicle, maximum draw weight (i.e. the max the car is rated to pull), and maximum "train weight" (i.e. car + trailer)

Most of the horse boxes you see here are pulled by things like Range Rover Discoveries. They have a 3.5t rating. (c. 7700lbs)

The important thing for the EU market, is not the weight that can be pulled, rather the plate that is attached to the trailer you intend to pull. A good example is a horsebox, so whilst loaded your horse and kit it comes in at 5000lb (2.2t) the trailer manufacturer may have attached a plated rating of 3.5t. (not uncommon) To LEGALLY pull that trailer, even if it were empty, you need a car which has a draw weight rating of 3.5t.

I don't know the legalities in the US.

Whoa! chickensevil, settle down. It was clearly a sarcastic remark. Firstly towing anything 200 miles is ridiculous and breaks more laws of physics that I care to list here (not to mention the biggest RV out there). Secondly, there was the happy face :smile: to show humour.

Wait, so maybe the OP was a jokey joke too? There was a (frowney) smiley in there...

My boat trailer is similar. There is a brake cylinder in the trailer hitch. As the trailer pushes forward and exerts pressure towards the tow vehicle it applies the brake. I believe they are called surge brakes.

Of course any weight stopped by the trailer brakes goes to friction/heat and not regen.

Yes, those are called surge brakes and they're great for some smaller trailers. All of the travel trailers I'm aware of don't use that kind of system and require a brake controller inside the vehicle. Currently, my assumption is that the towing software mentioned on the configuration page is something that replicates a brake controller and will work with the car's regenerative braking system. The last thing you want to happen from a towing stability standpoint is to heavily brake the tow vehicle at high speeds with no braking on a heavy trailer. It might help with regenerating more lost energy but having a heavy trailer pushing on you like that, especially in a corner, could result in some dangerous behavior.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know the legalities in the US.

There's no legal barrier to towing above the manufacturer's recommended weights in the US. Some states have regulations in that area but not many. Now, cause an accident while towing over the weight recommendations and you'll likely face a nasty lawsuit if you manage to hurt someone else.

There's no legal barrier to towing above the manufacturer's recommended weights in the US. Some states have regulations in that area but not many. Now, cause an accident while towing over the weight recommendations and you'll likely face a nasty lawsuit if you manage to hurt someone else.

Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like it's more of a problem for EU than US in practical terms, as all commercially made trailers will have a plated weight capacity. Caravans should be OK with single axle stuff normally coming under 2t.

For double axle caravans, horse boxes, car transporters, the X is a non-starter in the EU as they will likely be plated at > 2.2t, irrespective of how heavy they actually are.

(Of course this is a bit moot given the real world range you'd get from the X, so the RR Sports are safe here for a while yet I think)

When I got my driver's license I vaguely remember there being a law saying that no matter the rating you can't tow more than the weight of the car doing the towing, and that if the car+trailer together weigh more than 3.5 metric tons you need a higher class license to drive it. I think this goes for both Sweden and Norway at least, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

When I got my driver's license I vaguely remember there being a law saying that no matter the rating you can't tow more than the weight of the car doing the towing, and that if the car+trailer together weigh more than 3.5 metric tons you need a higher class license to drive it. I think this goes for both Sweden and Norway at least, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

In the UK It depends when you passed your test.

EU Synchronized the licence requirements in 1997, so depending when you passed your test it will be different.

The classifications are now inline across EU so if you only have a B+E on your licence then you can tow, but capped at 3.5t maximum train weight

If your licence shows C1+E then you can drive a gross train weight up to 8.25t maximum trailer weight portion being 3.5t.

If you only have B you can't tow at all

I passed in 1990, so got "grandfather rights" on the bigger stuff without taking a test. :D

I occasionally tow a 10,000lb boat with a Ford Excursion and I would no more try to tow it with my new Model X than I would to fly the X off a bridge. Based on my personal experience, I would not tow a trailer heavier than the car I'm driving...too scary in an emergency. I would also guess that you would be lucky to get 100 miles with even a 5000lb load.

If you think the press went a little over board on the fire fiassco, wait till an MX gets stuck on a boat ramp. I don't think the MX is meant to replace full sized trucks.

The MX, for this specific purpose, would likely be unsurpassed. A 6000 pound AWD with 4-700 hp, instant full torque (and lots of it) and traction control? I'd take that any day to pull out a boat.