Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X towing: ball hitch offset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that, for lightweight towing like Idid with the little U-haul trailer, the 2 ¼" offset may be OK but the ¾" rule really applies to multi-thousand-pound cases.
I agree that when towing small lightly loaded utility trailers short distances with the Bosal you are unlikely to get into trouble violating the hitch offset restriction.
In 20-20 hindsight, I could have raised the vehicle height above Standard to reduce the ball hitch offset needed to level the trailer.
That would not have worked; in Tow Mode the Model X will will automatically set the suspension height to standard if you go much over 10mph. You cannot override that behavior.

What the towing situation boils down to is we either follow the Bosal restrictions & tow unsafely, or we tow in a safe manner (trailer level), use the appropriate offset height and ignore the Bosal restrictions.
I disagree. I follow the Bosal height offset restriction, my trailer is level, and I tow safely. It’s worked for me for about 15,000 miles of towing my 2,300 lb (loaded) trailer all over the Western US.

That said, those with heavier trailers (3,500 lbs plus) should switch to a Draw-Title hitch with weight distribution.

Reactions: Rossy
As always great data &ohmman.
I’m thinking what mechanical reason not to use suspension height adjustment to better match a hitch. I have to assume some moment is more likely to exceed specifications under load at high or very high which could damage the suspension. But not familiar with the system to make a judgement. The component parts I’ve seen were linear. It could be that this hasn’t been tested/evaluation.
I’m going to upgrade like you did to the drastic aftermarket hitch. It’s on my todo list.
Now if I could only get my wife to appreciate the value of an Airstream. Happy wife Hapoy life.