Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Towing in Colorado

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 X LR+ 371 mile range
2021 R-pod 202 dry weight <4,600 lbs

Stats from our test

Brighton to Silverthorne and back
90 miles each way
Over 3,800 ft total elevation change
Over 11,100 ft elevation at Eisenhower tunnel
Temps between 35-45

954 Wh/mi to Silverthorne
632 Wh/mi back to Brighton
792 Wh/mi total trip for 180.7 miles

The 8 mile climb out of Silverthorne going the 65 mile speed limit used 1,962 Wh/mi

3DA09BEC-A768-408D-A027-7C7FD970E2D4.jpeg E2D51CD2-600F-468F-A847-9AAAC253584F.jpeg CE001C4D-DC20-45C5-9582-3077593A361B.jpeg

So it seems that the range when towing is approximately 100 miles. Have been considering the purchase of an X with the hope of towing my 3700 lb. Lance 1575 for shorter trips or when going to destinations near major roads that would have charging stations at regular intervals. However, I will need to rethink this purchase since the 100 mile range is virtually unusable. Thank you for providing this information.

I’ve got a couple more test planned before we adventure out on a 1,200 mile trip each way. My goal is to make it from supercharger to supercharger while minimizing range anxiety. The max distance I have to make is approximately 110 miles. I’ll continue to post my results of my tests. I know I was trying to research as much as possible before I bought the trailer, so I hope this helps someone.

Reactions: bruce4000
Did you note that this is an extraordinary sample trip? The elevation gain itself is tremendous. I'd like to know what an X does without pulling a trailer in that same trip.

Since this was a round trip, there is no total elevation gain. It is possible that there is considerable waisted energy if braking requirements on steep downhill sections need more force than is provided by regeneration. On the other hand, the high average elevation will cause reduced drag compared to locations close to sea level.

I look forward to more results from DMRACING98 to see if the 100 mile range is truly representative of the MX capabilities.

Since this was a round trip, there is no total elevation gain. It is possible that there is considerable waisted energy if braking requirements on steep downhill sections need more force than is provided by regeneration. On the other hand, the high average elevation will cause reduced drag compared to locations close to sea level.

I look forward to more results from DMRACING98 to see if the 100 mile range is truly representative of the MX capabilities.

Good point, although the most optimistic regen figures arer something like 85% of that would you expended extra going up the hill. I doubt that it's 85% even. and, I'm still interested in the idea of the X by itself compared to the X with this pretty large trailer. Strongly thinking of doing this myself

Attached is my scale sheet from my test. We are only going to be camping in RV parks with full hookups, so we only carry a few gallons in case we need the bathroom along the way. It leaves me close to 400 lbs for the rest.

Steer axle = Model X
Drive axle = Trailer

66B944F5-2FBE-4A3D-81CB-2AF8B9519344.jpeg

Looks like you were way over maximum rated towing with your rig.
Looks like about 1,000 lbs. on your hitch plus almost 4,600 on the trailer axel. (Unless you had heavy passengers and heavy stuff inside your X)
Total tow rating of Model X is Max 5,000 lbs.

Towing such a heavy and non aerodynamic at highway speeds going through the Colorado Rockies in the middle of Winter, can indeed produce tremendous energy drains.

Believe this to be kind of a worst case scenario, and not an accurate portrait of what every camper should expect.

For stuff like this you would be better served with a diesel pickup.

Last edited:
If i am reading your scale results correctly, the rear axle number is for the trailer axles. To get the trailer weight the tongue weight is added to the axle weight, which results in 5000 lbs. - so you are right at the limit!! Since you are at the maximum towing capacity and have a relatively low tongue weight, you may want to consider installing a Tuson electronic anti-sway controller to virtually eliminate the possibility of severe sway. The Tuscon controller can separately modulate the left and right trailer brakes to mitigate sway. This should provide a much higher margin of safety relative to relying solely on the anti-sway capabilities of the car.

separately modulate the left and right trailer brakes to mitigate sway. This should provide a much higher margin of safety relative to relying solely on the anti-sway capabilities of the car.

Isn’t the Tesla software supposed to do this in Trailer Mode automatically? I thought it had some anti-sway functions built in.

When we get our Surveyor (couple more weeks hopefully) I plan to add an anti-sway bar as well.

Good info; thanks. I've been looking into towing a much smaller/lighter load (eg Scamp 13 or 16', or something similar). Likely 1500-2000 lb for the trailer. We're on a 2019 X (325 mi rated range). I'm trying to get a feel for 'expected' and worst-case range. Based on your experience with a trailer more than twice the weight of what I'm looking at, is it fair to think that 150 miles of range between charges would be reasonable?

Hi @dmurphy ,

Good question!
I checked out the wiring diagram and install information on the Tuson website.
The standard wires hook up to the Tuson controller.
There is on wire for braking - The blue one...
Exiting the Tuson controller are two wires for the brakes.
One for the driver side brakes and the other for the passenger side brakes.

Essentially in the installation of the Tuson controller the trailer brake wiring is split
into left brakes and the right brakes.
The controller is mounted on the centerline of the trailer.
Its sensors determine if sway is occurring and apply the counter-acting brakes...

It looks pretty cool for larger trailers.
There is also a requirement for a FULL SIZE 12 Volt battery for breakaway.
It specifically says the 12 volt gel or AGM batteries will NOT work.

Shawn

Reactions: dmurphy
Hi @dmurphy ,

Good question!
I checked out the wiring diagram and install information on the Tuson website.
The standard wires hook up to the Tuson controller.
There is on wire for braking - The blue one...
Exiting the Tuson controller are two wires for the brakes.
One for the driver side brakes and the other for the passenger side brakes.

Essentially in the installation of the Tuson controller the trailer brake wiring is split
into left brakes and the right brakes.
The controller is mounted on the centerline of the trailer.
Its sensors determine if sway is occurring and apply the counter-acting brakes...

It looks pretty cool for larger trailers.
There is also a requirement for a FULL SIZE 12 Volt battery for breakaway.
It specifically says the 12 volt gel or AGM batteries will NOT work.

Shawn

Aha! Now I’ve got it. This is a trailer-side controller then? Would take some reworking under the rig - basically undo the pigtail between left and right brake and run independent to the Tuson controller, if I’m understanding correctly? That would make sense.

Anything on the vehicle-side of the harness wouldn’t be able to modulate left or right - it’s just a single signal for braking.

Hi @dmurphy,

Yes, that is it...

I thought some more about it...
When the trailer brakes are supplied voltage from the car
through the blue wire the Tuson device acts as a wye or splitter
and supplies both left and right brakes.
When sway control is needed the car is not supplying anything.
The full size battery now applies voltage to the left or right to control
the sway as needed from the Tuson controller.
It's a clever device...

Shawn