Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Trunk Load Floor Cover Keeps Falling Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model X. The trunk load floor cover is the bane of my existence. It's a horrible design. Every time i use it, I think to myself, "For an over $100k vehicle, this is the best they could come up with?" Every single time I use it, it either won't stay up or falls into the cargo well. My husband has a Model Y and at least that has a well that it tucks into. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, solutions for stabilizing the load floor cover so it easily stays in place when in the open position? TIA

Reactions: nanimac
Christina, you sound just like my husband! I fully agree and have exactly the same issue. I am thinking it needs some kind of hinge attaching, but perhaps detachable in case you need to remove the cover. I have been hunting for clever solutions online but keep getting ads for rubber mats! Keen to hear if anyone else here has found a smart solution.

Smart idea! Thanks!
I have just done exactly this. 1m long 50mm wide black Velcro placed along the length of the “hinge” edges of the front and back shelf, which acts as a flexible and fully detachable hinge.

The hook side of the Velcro naturally sticks to the shelf directly - the shelf material acts like the fluffy side of Velcro. I applied it face down over the top of the edges of the two shelves, where they “hinge”. Then I stuck both sides of the Velcro together, sticky side to sticky side. Then the fluffy side of the Velcro is facing up and looks remarkably like the shelf itself. So a neat solution. See photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0221.jpeg
    IMG_0221.jpeg
    570.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0222.jpeg
    IMG_0222.jpeg
    981.9 KB · Views: 69
I have a 2023 Model X. The trunk load floor cover is the bane of my existence. It's a horrible design. Every time i use it, I think to myself, "For an over $100k vehicle, this is the best they could come up with?" Every single time I use it, it either won't stay up or falls into the cargo well. My husband has a Model Y and at least that has a well that it tucks into. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, solutions for stabilizing the load floor cover so it easily stays in place when in the open position? TIA
Found this and sharing for awareness:

I was concerned about them breaking. They don't look strong compared to what it has to lift.
I don’t believe they will break, they don’t bear the weight. The only downside is that the Velcro is not strong enough when you pull suddenly so they may dislodge a bit, just use stronger Velcro. I’ll post pics later, they do their job but you have to lift carefully

I had a 2017 X and now have 2024 X. The trunk well and cover arrangement on the 2017 was great. I used it all the time especially when grocery shopping. On the refresh 2024 they destroyed the functionality because the lid will not stay up.

I made some mods that worked OK then bought the device from Etsy listed in this posting. The device would not work an a 2024 X 5 seater. So I went back to my original fix.

See the link. I made velcro hinges buy using 9/16 inch staples to staple the velco to the two removable lids. Then I made a stick to hold the led up once lifted. Works OK but Tesla mis engineered this area on the 2024 X they should fix it on future cars.

I had a 2017 X and now have 2024 X. The trunk well and cover arrangement on the 2017 was great. I used it all the time especially when grocery shopping. On the refresh 2024 they destroyed the functionality because the lid will not stay up.

I made some mods that worked OK then bought the device from Etsy listed in this posting. The device would not work an a 2024 X 5 seater. So I went back to my original fix.

See the link. I made velcro hinges buy using 9/16 inch staples to staple the velco to the two removable lids. Then I made a stick to hold the led up once lifted. Works OK but Tesla mis engineered this area on the 2024 X they should fix it on future cars.

It would help to see both vehicles side-by-side and try to replicate something similar to the older style.

It would help to see both vehicles side-by-side and try to replicate something similar to the older style.
The old design permitted the cover to drop into the hole partway and there were backets to hold it in place afer dropping a few inches. The new cover does not fit in the hole and there is no way to hold it up or in place, as provided by Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: towndrunk
I picked up an Etsy set for my '23 7 seater after reading this thread last Friday and L O V E it.

Elegant solution, easy to install, completely reversable, super functional, wicked quick ship! A+ #1
I tend to keep vehicles a l o n g time (20+ years) so divided out, the seemingly steep $40.00 is worth every penny.
(No affiliation with seller)
Kind Regards :)

The Etsy set is not perfect - it doesn’t help keeping the cover up like in a model Y but it does prevent the falling in the under trunk hole and acts as a smooth hinge. Also the Velcro could be stronger, I sometimes dislodge a bit if I lift too abruptly. But yes, it works.

Got the Etsy set installed and it works great in the 5 seater. No drilling so it could pop out if you are not mindful but night and day better than what it was. Come on Tesla this is one of those little things that takes little effort and proves the value of the car.

Reactions: towndrunk