Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Model S for road trips?

Venom

Leo Hates You Club Scout
May 29, 2019
Chicago, IL
Having second thoughts on my Model S plaid order and considering a Model X plaid instead. Right now I’m like 60/40 (S/X).

I like to travel cross country (IL - CA) a couple times per year. I've done it in my Model Y and it felt decent.
Things I dislike about my Y for long road trips:
- Exterior feels a bit chunky - I wish it was a bit more compact on the outside
- I wish the interior was a little more comfortable and had more space (trunk space is perfect though)
- Model Y performance feels a bit too slow now that I’m used to it
- Range sucks (even with my 18” wheels)

For people that have driven both the S and the X extensively and go on 2 person road trips, which do you prefer the most and why?

Reactions: bhzmark

jboy210

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
If you have issues with the Y range, my guess is you will have even more issues with the X range. Especially if you drive considerably over 70. The X is a big car with more area creating drag and impacting range and the 22-inch wheels don't help. You can't cheat physics.

Inside there is a lot more space in the X than S to move around. In general, it is a more comfortable car and can hold a lot when only carrying 2 people. We got a 6-foot bookcase in the back.

DirtyT3sla

Apr 17, 2019
Holly
If range is a concern have you considered a LR X? It's still considerably faster than the Y, but will have best range especially with smaller wheels.

And I think a problem with these fast accelerating cars is you will always adapt to them. Yes the X will always be faster than Y, but if you own an X for 6 months and are punching it all the time, you'll eventually adapt and it'll feel normal rather than super fast.

• Informative
Reactions: Venom

Venom

Leo Hates You Club Scout
May 29, 2019
Chicago, IL
If range is a concern have you considered a LR X? It's still considerably faster than the Y, but will have best range especially with smaller wheels.

And I think a problem with these fast accelerating cars is you will always adapt to them. Yes the X will always be faster than Y, but if you own an X for 6 months and are punching it all the time, you'll eventually adapt and it'll feel normal rather than super fast.
I have considered the LR X, but it’d feel slower than my MYP. Also, not a huge fan of the MYP power curve for 50 - 85mph, which is something the Plaid models are great at.

I completely agree with your statement regarding getting used to the acceleration of any car after 6 months, but I’m hoping that’d change with the plaid since apparently you can feel your organs being pulled back 🤣

ChadS

Last tank of gas: March 2009
Jul 16, 2009
Redmond, WA
My wife and I have done a lot of road tripping in both S and X. (One of the S was a performance, but the other and the X were not. I suspect wheels matter more; all had 19 or 20" wheels).

There's not a huge difference; both are really nice on road trips. Advantages to the S:
  • The S is more efficient (less cost - assuming you are paying for Supercharging - AND less time charging)
  • It is quicker and handles better, in case you get on some twisty mountain roads
  • It has more range; but Superchargers are close enough that doesn't mean we have taken trips in it that the X can't do. It more means you don't have to charge to as high of SOC, so it helps with charging being faster
And some advantages to the X:
  • The X has more space (although if the S has enough for you, this is obviously not a big deal)
  • If you get stuff in and out of the frunk or trunk, the higher position of the X is easier to access
  • The X being taller is easier to get in and out of a lot
  • We find the seating position to be more comfy in the X
  • The "panoramic" windshield is nice when you are looking at scenery as you drive through, say, Zion
  • There is a little more clearance if you drive offroad at all
A lot of these aren't going to matter to most people.

Richbot

Oct 16, 2020
STL
I think the Model X is the best family road trip vehicle available today, bar none. As a road-tripper, the S's only advantage is range at higher speeds and that's a big one, but the interior is considerably less spacious. It's a way bigger difference than the specs would make obvious.

But for only two people? Model S all the way

*assuming absolute speed to destination is not the #1 priority, and your family isn't 7 adults. If you buy into the idea that avoiding gas stations and relatively frequent 15-minute stops are a feature, not a bug, in other words, and you only have 2 other adults and/or 2-4 kids to haul

Reactions: Venom

Venom

Leo Hates You Club Scout
May 29, 2019
Chicago, IL
My wife and I have done a lot of road tripping in both S and X. (One of the S was a performance, but the other and the X were not. I suspect wheels matter more; all had 19 or 20" wheels).

There's not a huge difference; both are really nice on road trips. Advantages to the S:
  • The S is more efficient (less cost - assuming you are paying for Supercharging - AND less time charging)
  • It is quicker and handles better, in case you get on some twisty mountain roads
  • It has more range; but Superchargers are close enough that doesn't mean we have taken trips in it that the X can't do. It more means you don't have to charge to as high of SOC, so it helps with charging being faster
And some advantages to the X:
  • The X has more space (although if the S has enough for you, this is obviously not a big deal)
  • If you get stuff in and out of the frunk or trunk, the higher position of the X is easier to access
  • The X being taller is easier to get in and out of a lot
  • We find the seating position to be more comfy in the X
  • The "panoramic" windshield is nice when you are looking at scenery as you drive through, say, Zion
  • There is a little more clearance if you drive offroad at all
A lot of these aren't going to matter to most people.
Excellent points. I think it'd make sense for me to go with a Model S plaid and then a LR X in the future. I just wish the Model S had that panoramic windshield!

Richbot

Oct 16, 2020
STL
The panoramic windscreen is nice, but the glass I notice S vs. X is the roof and rear window and doors. Roof because the X doesn't have a giant slab of glass baking the whole interior (the X front sunshade makes a big difference); rear window because the rear view is decent and not distorted on the X, and doors because they're large enough to get into without hunching over or doing a weird body contortion because of the stupid, stupid, stupid, frameless door design decision Tesla made for the sake of wow-factor styling back in 2010 that still haunts the car to this day

The roof glass is fixable with an aftermarket shade - but the back glass and doors are baked-in

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC