Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs. Model X Real World Consumption Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I met up in Buelton on our way home from Solvang. She in her her X90D 20" wheels, me in my 85D 19" wheels.
We both charged up with room to spare to do the 112 mi drive.
We both drove the same route home essentially following each other within a 1/4 mi.
I was alone in the S and my wife had 3 adults and 2 toddlers in the X

The X used an astounding 30% more power to get home to LA.

My S at the and of the trip: IMG_0084.JPG
and the consumption graph:Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 6.11.43 PM.png
Her X at the end of the trip:IMG_0083.JPG
and the X graph:Model X.png

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and ModelX
What did each of you have your A/C set to? Model X has a larger cabin to keep cool and it looks like it was pretty hot since the X is reporting 100 degrees F. Plus Model X has both the front and rear A/C so I can only assume over a 2.5 hour trip that consumed a substantial amount of energy. We often have our A/C blasting in the rear because our son is in a rear facing car seat which makes getting air flow to him difficult.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
What did each of you have your A/C set to? Model X has a larger cabin to keep cool and it looks like it was pretty hot since the X is reporting 100 degrees F. Plus Model X has both the front and rear A/C so I can only assume over a 2.5 hour trip that consumed a substantial amount of energy. We often have our A/C blasting in the rear because our son is in a rear facing car seat which makes getting air flow to him difficult.

Yes. We have the same situation for the rear facing seats.

A/c graphs show the fan state. My wife's X had a lower set temp

Really I'm not concerned, this was really just a data point comparison.

Yes. We have the same situation for the rear facing seats.

A/c graphs show the fan state. My wife's X had a lower set temp

Really I'm not concerned, this was really just a data point comparison.

Ah yes I didn't look closely at the graph. My random wild guess is that maybe about 5 kWh of the ~10 kWh difference is due to the X being bigger, heavier, etc. and the other 5 kWh being a combination of the lower A/C setting plus the fact that the X has to cool more air.

• Informative
My dads business partner in France is selling his model X due to very poor range. He reported draining the battery after 100 miles. Guy is very rich I would assume he got the fully loaded P90D. I assume he was likely driving at 90mph. Maybe it was likely an issue though.

It does seem that the range of the X is clearly inferior to the model S though. Looking at the specs alone, the 60 kWh battery gets 10 percent fewer miles. Also the range for the 60 kWh happens to be exactly 200 miles which I find rather interesting. Acceleration of the 60 kWh X as well is clearly inferior to the model S.. Nearly 1 second difference in 0 to 60.

Back to this example though having passengers I expect would make a large difference. I know on my ice car gas mileage drop by 10-15 percent when I have the car loaded.

My wife and I met up in Buelton on our way home from Solvang. She in her her X90D 20" wheels, me in my 85D 19" wheels.
We both charged up with room to spare to do the 112 mi drive.
We both drove the same route home essentially following each other within a 1/4 mi.
I was alone in the S and my wife had 3 adults and 2 toddlers in the X

The X used an astounding 30% more power to get home to LA.

My S at the and of the trip:View attachment 196271
and the consumption graph:View attachment 196272
Her X at the end of the trip:View attachment 196273
and the X graph:View attachment 196274
How do you access the graph Data? What App is used? Would like to be able to access on my car.