Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X weld/seam cracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this normal, I noticed this on each side right where the falcon doors latch, as you can see the seam is cracked

Attachments

• 263CA1D6-AD4E-4C0B-8840-DCBC3C4D748A.jpeg
    263CA1D6-AD4E-4C0B-8840-DCBC3C4D748A.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 1,046
BC607913-9613-4FF6-918B-AAFA5E0C7195.jpeg
C8B58A78-57C0-40B6-8ACC-3A3EF90DE77E.jpeg
BC607913-9613-4FF6-918B-AAFA5E0C7195.jpeg I just took a look at both our MX’s. The white X is a December ‘16 build and black is June ‘17 build. As you can see, my white December ‘16 build is cracked as well and the June ‘17 build is perfect. Is your X a performance model? Reason I ask is, my white X is a P100DL while the black is a 100D and I’m wondering if the additional stress with performance models could cause the crack. Although, the weld itself looks much better with our newer black X.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Showed my 2018 July 75D weld crack to the service advisor and they said they can send it to the body shop to smooth out and fill in/repaint. Should take about a week.

By the way, as earlier reported, that is not a weld crack. It is also not a structural failure. It is a glue/sealant
filled connection and is sealing against corrosion/dirt and also makes the joint look better.

By the way, as earlier reported, that is not a weld crack. It is also not a structural failure. It is a glue/sealant
filled connection and is sealing against corrosion/dirt and also makes the joint look better.

Why would Tesla put body paint over a flexible sealant? I don't recon I've ever seen this on a car - yes on baseboard and sheet rock junction, but not a car. ;) Seems the proper design would have been a gasket.

Prior poster said it took a week to repair at body shop. Mine went in yesterday and they said it would be ready today. I'm curious what they're doing to fix mine. Will report back.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Why would Tesla put body paint over a flexible sealant? I don't recon I've ever seen this on a car - yes on baseboard and sheet rock junction, but not a car. ;) Seems the proper design would have been a gasket.

Prior poster said it took a week to repair at body shop. Mine went in yesterday and they said it would be ready today. I'm curious what they're doing to fix mine. Will report back.

That is standard industry practice to use sealants and epoxy and many are made to be painted over. Many brands have done that in the past and will do in the future. It fills in a body seam and has a little flexibility. Sometimes the paint isn't quite as flexible or the body flexes enough that it can also crack the sealant/epoxy. Bottom line, not a weld crack, aesthetic only! Nothing to worry about. An additive can be added to the paint but it is not usually done for one small seam like that. It is possible that they will use a little more flexible sealant/epoxy in that spot in the future but it is such a minor thing that they may not.

Last edited:
I don't get why people say it's flexible. When I touch it it seems like it's part of the metal. It was bent like metal and does not feel like rubber at all.
Some are more flexible than others. A large variety of different seam fillers/body epoxies are used depending on what its needed application calls for. They may wish they would have used a slightly more flexible one in this location. It would have stopped the panic of some who think it is a mechanical weld failing. There is much more glue/adhesives/epoxies being used in modern manufacturing than ever before.

Last edited: