Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a chance to check out the seal between the two front-side windows on a Model X that is much newer than mine (VIN 75xx vs, 18xx) and was surprised that it is completely different now: mine is very "floppy" (I can easily bend it back and forth with either front-side window down) and the newer one is rock solid with some kind of bracing. My X has been in the shop for almost 3 weeks (Palo Alto is very backed up), but I'm hoping they give me the new part on both sides (since the wind noise issue was on my list of problems).

Now I'm wondering how many other parts on the car have been upgraded like that, and whether or not I need to complain about a problem before getting a swap for a part Tesla has identified as flawed enough for a replacement.

How can I tell if my car is noiser than others? I think it is slightly louder (5%) than my 2014 MDX

Well.... It is no doubt subjective. What I did was drive both cars on the same stretch of road with all windows rolled up and no other sound source - no music, no kids, no phone calls etc and felt that the MX had only road vibrations coming through with a slight whine from the motor while the MDX had the road noise plus the engine hum which led me to come to the conclusion that the fixed MX was quieter. Prior to the SC visit the wind noise was pretty pronounced.

Reactions: Mark Z
I have experienced quite a bit of wind noise on both driver side and passenger side front windows of my Model X (July delivery). My SC has had the vehicle twice and I have another appointment next week, as the problem has still not been resolved. They have supposedly replaced the weather stripping, but I have explained that the window seems misaligned. I can see the gap between the window and weather stripping along the front small triangular window. Sometimes, rolling the window down and back up temporarily reduces the noise. But inevitably the problem reappears, as the front doors open and close with use.

My brand new X has wind noise from the Triangle Window area as well.

I tried taping it up from the outside (my wife did while I sat in drivers seat) and it made no difference.
But I swear it's from that area. Maybe painters tape is to thin to make a difference.

You can tell there the gasket is barely grazing the glass in a few areas. But the Passenger side looks the same but is silent.

Reactions: Smileysam
I love my Model X. I noticed that at Highway speed there is a very significant wind noise from the small triangle shaped window on the driver side.

It is not the same on the passenger side. Anyone else with this experience?

I notice when I stuff my son's flannel jacket over the area the wind noise pretty much goes away.

I will be bringing it in. Anyone else have thoughts?

The driver's and passenger's doors are frameless, i.e., the window opens with the door, but the weather stripping remains attached to the car body:

Looks nice, but inevitably it is a less reliable design than if the window was framed with metal and weatherstripped to seal to the body. Although differences in wind noise front/rear or left/right indicate a problem, we can't expect a frameless window to be as quiet as a framed window.

Maybe Tesla's engineers are so good that they can, but at best they can only match a framed design, which is why M-B and BMW doors sound and feel like a bank vault when closed.

Yes, I've had the same issue with my passenger side. If I were to press on the rubber strip between the small window and the passenger window, the wind noise went away. I noticed that the rubber strip had a small bow in it. I rolled down the passenger window and straightened out the bow. It seems that the rubber is reinforced with some metal inside. Once straightened out, I no loner had the wind noise.
I had exactly the same problem on my 2020/11 built MX. After adjustment wind noise is gone.