Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our surprising (to us) decision to go with 6 seats instead of 7...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to avoid confusion, the 7 seat option doesn't have armrests either. It's not unique to the 6-seater, though it may feel more 'needed' with the gap between the seats.
True, but having ridden in the second row of a 6 seater on my test drive (when I switched off driving with my friend), I was struck by 2 issues with the way they have the seats in that configuration:

- I felt a little unsupported on the inside. Perhaps it was just psychological, but I'd rather have an armrest or a seat there for peace of mind
- I felt a little too close to the door. I don't think it was infringing on my personal space any more than any similar sized 5-seat sedan/SUV, but the fact that there was a gaping hole on the other side made the closeness of the door seem all that much more odd. It felt like I was sitting in a corner rather than sitting in a luxurious seat.

I'd rather see an armrest or a repositioning of the 2 middle row seats, otherwise sitting there in the current design just feels odd - cramped on one side and exposed on the other.

With respect to taking 5 passengers with one seat folded for luggage room, that feels kind of ghetto compared to having a passenger area and a cargo area (a personal opinion).

I think this is really great and eye opening discussion. I thought of the six seat once it was open but ultimately decided on the 7 seat model which is what I have now in my GL and while I don't always use it, it has come in handy several times especially during the holidays. Either way I'm looking forward to receiving my X in the next couple of weeks. Unbelievable but it's finally on its way. I'll post pictures as soon as I can after it arrives.

Best,

Tony

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but it is still relevant and informative.

I'm too was on the fence between 6 and 7 seat configurations but decided for 7.

I was kind of surprised to see so many favoring the 6 seater listing easier ingress/egress to the 3rd row, openness, more leg room for the 3rd row, longer cargo. It looks that most of the benefits listed are for the 3rd row and after owning big SUVs with 3rd rows (GL-450 and 550) for over 10 years I cant put that much value to the 3rd row as it rarely gets used, at least for me, less than yearly. After test driving overnight 7 and 6 seaters, I think most will keep that 3rd row permanently folded in order to get somewhat decent cargo space. In the 7 seater I could comfortably seat in the middle seat of the 3rd row and I'm 6' tall. Granted, my hair were touching the FWD pillar, but it was no way uncomfortable.

Most favoring the 6 seater assume someone in the 3rd row, which only happens with more than 4 people in the 6 seater and more than 5 in 7 seater. So, I guess, the seating arrangement benefits will depend on the frequency of these 2 events.

Another thing to consider is that 6 seater config feels awkward for 2 row passengers as there are no railings or handles to grab on. Absence of the middle seat makes the remaining 2 seats feel too close to the doors. The hole in between the seats is good for leg room but useless for any support or to lie down.

For hauling long cargo, the easy solution is to rent a Home Depot truck for $19.00 or $24.00

I would agree that 6 seater feel more spacious but 7 seater feels just as a regular SUV/cross over - very roomy.

I guess what I'm saying, there are benefits of each config and the choice would depends on one's usage.

Reactions: flar
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but it is still relevant and informative.

I'm too was on the fence between 6 and 7 seat configurations but decided for 7.

I was kind of surprised to see so many favoring the 6 seater listing easier ingress/egress to the 3rd row, openness, more leg room for the 3rd row, longer cargo. It looks that most of the benefits listed are for the 3rd row and after owning big SUVs with 3rd rows (GL-450 and 550) for over 10 years I cant put that much value to the 3rd row as it rarely gets used, at least for me, less than yearly. After test driving overnight 7 and 6 seaters, I think most will keep that 3rd row permanently folded in order to get somewhat decent cargo space. In the 7 seater I could comfortably seat in the middle seat of the 3rd row and I'm 6' tall. Granted, my hair were touching the FWD pillar, but it was no way uncomfortable.

Most favoring the 6 seater assume someone in the 3rd row, which only happens with more than 4 people in the 6 seater and more than 5 in 7 seater. So, I guess, the seating arrangement benefits will depend on the frequency of these 2 events.

Another thing to consider is that 6 seater config feels awkward for 2 row passengers as there are no railings or handles to grab on. Absence of the middle seat makes the remaining 2 seats feel too close to the doors. The hole in between the seats is good for leg room but useless for any support or to lie down.

For hauling long cargo, the easy solution is to rent a Home Depot truck for $19.00 or $24.00

I would agree that 6 seater feel more spacious but 7 seater feels just as a regular SUV/cross over - very roomy.

I guess what I'm saying, there are benefits of each config and the choice would depends on one's usage.

If you're happy with the 5 seats in the 7-seater and never use the back 2 seats, why not just pick the 5-seat version and get a ton more storage with the 3rd row seats removed?

Reactions: ArtLightstone
I think the 5 seat version is the most useless configuration (as it currently stands). There is still an argument to be made for the 7 seater, it will work better for some people.

The 5 seat version is exactly the same as the 7 seat version except you cannot 'unfold' the seats. You gain zero cargo space over the 6/7 seat version (if you count the space between the two second row seats, it has less cargo capacity than the 6 seat version). I had this confirmed by two different reps at the event. In the 5 seat configuration, the entire back area is at the exact same level as the folded 3rd row seats. I think this was an unfortunate choice, if instead they made the cargo area go down all the way, while it would be hard to load, I think it would be a winner for some customers.

Wow, you sure made five seat purchases completely dumb if everything you say is 100% accurate.

Before active suspension was a requirement, there was a decent cost savings however to go with five seats and coil springs.

Wow, you sure made five seat purchases completely dumb if everything you say is 100% accurate.

Before active suspension was a requirement, there was a decent cost savings however to go with five seats and coil springs.

MXWing, this is a very old and so very inaccurate account. The 5-seat config cargo area has two setting for the floor level. The upper gives you a flat floor from the back of car to the back of the front row seats. The lower setting with the 2nd row seat folded, gives you a bump up at the 2nd row seat, but the balance of the floor gives you the space that was previously used by the 3rd rows seats and is much taller. Even with the lower lever you still get a smaller concealed space at the back of the car in the area that was previously behind the 3rd row seats. So even when you don't have the 2nd row seat folded, you end up with a much larger, taller cargo area. This is how I plan to permanently leave my cargo area except if I need the flat long area for some reason.

There are other benefits to the 5-seater. Because you don't need access to the 3rd row seat area, the bench seat is set further back than you could slide the 2nd row seats in the 6- and 7-seat configs. This gives you a really roomy 2nd row area. Another poster mentioned that he is 6'-2" and could seat very comfortable in the second row even with the driver's seat set as far back as it could go. From what I can tell from the photos, I think this 2nd row will give you more leg room than my old Suburban.

I don't know if you've sat in the drivers seat in the 7-seat configuration, but with all seats up, the head rests form an almost wall across the car to prevent any view out the rear window. The 6-seater is a little better, but with the 5-seater, the bench seat is set lower than in the 6- and 7-seat configs, and the middle head rest is lower, giving you a much better view out the back. I'm planning to normally travel with half the bench seat folded which will give me an even less obstructed view.

I don't have children at home anymore, so I have the flexibility to not need the 6 or 7 seats, which I think are just too cramped for my taste in this size vehicle. With some sharp deductive skills, you might be able to discern that I've ordered a 5-seater.

If you're happy with the 5 seats in the 7-seater and never use the back 2 seats, why not just pick the 5-seat version and get a ton more storage with the 3rd row seats removed?
Probably for the same reason I opted for 7 but plan to have the 3rd row mostly folded. I do occasionally have need for more than 5 passengers, but I typically carry 4-5 and so the 7 seater allows all of my regular passengers in the main part of the cabin and there are still 2 more seats for the occasions when I need more.

One advantage for having the 3rd row was mitigated a bit recently. It used to be that keeping the 3rd row upright created a well-defined trunk region and kept everything in there from tumbling forward. With the new rear seat re-design, the added space for shoulders and elbows in the 3rd row creates a gap where thin items can tumble around the sides of the 3rd row...

Thanks for kicking me over the edge. I initially ordered 7 seater and am configured with VIN number. Just called my DS and changed to 6 just in time. I think it's the right choice. My DS even commented on how much more spacious that configuration is.

We did the EXACT same thing!

We couldn't actually see a 7-seater before we ordered, we only saw the 6-seater (which was beautiful) but the 7-seater sounded good in theory.

A couple of weeks later, a new Tesla store opened in Toronto and it actually HAD a 7-seater. The family raced over there to look at the 7-seater, and we were all shocked at how closed-in the back row felt. The middle row "wall of seats" extends quite high, and the ceiling is quite low, so it feels like you are being locked in the trunk when those lovely falcon wing doors come down. The human mind is not designed to enjoy the experience of being closed in and locked down. I emailed my service rep right there from the Tesla showroom and asked to change our configuration to the 6-seater. Our family felt that ALL of the seats in the 6-seater are quite comfortable and open feeling, whereas only five seats are useful in the 7-seater. However, when you think about it, only four seats in the 7-seater would be as comfortable as any of the seats in the 6-seater because if the middle row in the 7-seater is full, then you have three people sardined together, shoulder-to-shoulder. So, in a way, the 7-seater only offers only four comfortable seats. That's why we are willing to pay $3,800.00 MORE for the 6-seater over the 7-seater.

We have had a VIN assigned for the 7-seater for about a week... I just hope we're not too late!

Reactions: madodel
it depends on your needs. for me i have toddlers now that only require the booster seats. So we have a large party, my twins go back in the 3rd row and they have plenty of room and love it back there.

then the middle row can seat 3 full adults comfortably plus driver and passenger.

i took 7 people around yesterday in this setup and it was perfect.

Do you also do number 1 and 2 in the car??

Really don't get the whole 'camping' thing, you can afford a Tesla, go and stay in a nice hotel with a shower/toilet :).

In our case, we are really going to great financial lengths to buy this car. We've never paid more than $27,000.00 for a car before. (Our current vehicles are a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe and a 2012 Honda Civic.) We just really believe in what Tesla is doing, and we want to do what we can support the movement toward sustainable transportation. We are also making a bit of a political statement in Ontario where we have a new conservative government that has erased climate change from their agenda, killed our cap and trade system, and cancelled all EV incentives.

Thus, we are definitely hoping to travel throughout Canada and the US by camping and making use of the Tesla Supercharging network. Hoping to promote EV driving along the way!

Reactions: inconel and ohmman
Here's our update: We were too late to simply change our configuration. (Not sure why, given that the car was still weeks away from being built.) However, Tesla allowed us to cancel our order for the 7-seater at no penalty (which was nice), and then place a new order for a 6-seater configuration. This, of course, delays our order by another two weeks because we lose all the time since we placed our first order.

Also, the price of the Model X went up by $4,600.00 in the two weeks since we placed our first order. That's because it now comes standard with the "premium upgrades package," which includes the super-duper air filter, jacked audio-system, self-presenting front door, and the sub-zero package. I understand that this package was a $6,000.00 upgrade when it was an option, so I guess, in some respects, this might be a bit of a bonus. I suppose it will depend on how much we end up making use of these upgrades.

So there you have it... more than $8,000.00 later, we managed to switch our configuration to the 6-seater. Sure wish we saw that 7-seater before we made our decision!

Here's our update: We were too late to simply change our configuration. (Not sure why, given that the car was still weeks away from being built.) However, Tesla allowed us to cancel our order for the 7-seater at no penalty (which was nice), and then place a new order for a 6-seater configuration. This, of course, delays our order by another two weeks because we lose all the time since we placed our first order.

Also, the price of the Model X went up by $4,600.00 in the two weeks since we placed our first order. That's because it now comes standard with the "premium upgrades package," which includes the super-duper air filter, jacked audio-system, self-presenting front door, and the sub-zero package. I understand that this package was a $6,000.00 upgrade when it was an option, so I guess, in some respects, this might be a bit of a bonus. I suppose it will depend on how much we end up making use of these upgrades.

So there you have it... more than $8,000.00 later, we managed to switch our configuration to the 6-seater. Sure wish we saw that 7-seater before we made our decision!
You will be happy. PUP is amazing. I love it. You will too!

Do you also do number 1 and 2 in the car??

Really don't get the whole 'camping' thing, you can afford a Tesla, go and stay in a nice hotel with a shower/toilet :).
Well, with camping inside of a car you don't need a hotel when you can park along an amazing scenery in the night and have a good nap. it's just an option, but imagine how cool it is when you open a window in the morning and see mountains or a lake instead of just some crowded street across a parking. it's a personal choice for sure, it's not about money.