Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X / young kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have the 6 seater (before there was a bench option). We've had child seats for the grandbabies in both the second and third row. Since we don't have them there permanetly, I can tell you they are not easy to mount in the third row. Also, booster seats, that use the seat's seatbelt are hard to buckle/unbuckle as the mono-post seats are failry narrow. All works and they love driving in the "dragon".

As much as I like the six seater for all the reasons mentioned above, not having a folding middle row truly limits what you can carry in this car. You might be happier with the bench seat.

One thing we did that I am very happy about is having the rear of the front (and middle) seats wrapped with clear wrap. We have the shiny version of the seats. The very first time they sat in the car they both had their feed against the front seats in the first 5 seconds without us having time to stop them. It might not do anything but we like the piece of mind. They were 4 and 5 at the time.

Any yes, if you need a referral code, just PM.

I have a Britax advocate (front facing) and an UppaBaby Mesa infant seat (rear facing; middle seat). We also need the 3rd row at least once a week when the grandparents/relatives come visit. So far it has been no issues but I'm not the one sitting in the 3rd row :p
Thanks again liquidtyde. Last question for you - do you have to take both car seats out to get access to the back row, or only 1 (and if so, which one do you take out - the middle one or outboard one?)

I'd echo dmeyer. 6 seats all the way.

We have 2 sons (3 years apart and a bit older) and a 6 seater.

Don't underestimate the advantages of splitting the kids up. The gulf between the 2nd row seats works pretty well. If not, the third row works like a charm -- one kid, each row. Plus, when they travel with friends, you can pair them up.

I think the 3rd row would be of fairly limited utility if you didn't have the aisle to get to them. It's just too cumbersome to move the second row seats to get to the 3rd row.

You can still split kids up in a 7 seater. Access to the back row is definitely "harder", but the new middle bench is a 60/40 split with each part moving independently. So you could have a booster on one outer middle row seat and fold the other side down to access the rear seat on the opposite side. The 2 kids would then be totally separated. Not that I would actually do that myself.

I would only go 6 seater if I was permanently using boosters on both outer middle row seats and regularly using the third row seats simultaneously. In that scenario the 7 seater would be a real pain.

You can still split kids up in a 7 seater. Access to the back row is definitely "harder", but the new middle bench is a 60/40 split with each part moving independently. So you could have a booster on one outer middle row seat and fold the other side down to access the rear seat on the opposite side. The 2 kids would then be totally separated. Not that I would actually do that myself.

I would only go 6 seater if I was permanently using boosters on both outer middle row seats and regularly using the third row seats simultaneously. In that scenario the 7 seater would be a real pain.

My original point was trying to be that the split between permanent boosters on both outer middle row seats is effectively larger without the bench seat. I've had my kids in plenty of cars with bench seats - having that open air space (no bench) between them makes a material difference in how they relate to each other in the car. I can give examples, but that's the idea.

I have 3 kids, 3,5,8yo
For me 6-seater is just perfect
Older kids go into the 3-rd row by entering between 2nd row seats and buckle up without touching/moving any seats
Youngest one is in the second row
Everyone can see and talk to each other, while having unobstructed view

P.S. With 1-2 kids, i wouldn't even consider more than 5 seats. You can pretty much get away with any car

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DIL
I've said it before...I really wish Tesla would offer a 6-seat monopost version of the car that had some sort of system where you could hook/unook in a middle seat or a console or nothing into the gap in the 2nd row.

That would give everyone the best of all worlds.
6-seater with a nice aisle to access the back row, which is probably the most family friendly config for "everyday" use if you have 2-3 kids OR
7-seater for when you're hauling a bunch of people OR
7-seater with rear row folded down - useful for putting 3 across in the middle row and folding down the rear row for lots of cargo space on a road trip.

I would pay money to be able to swap in an extra seat in the middle row of my 6-seater on demand.

Give me the 6 seater - which I have. My kids are early teens now, so can't help on car seats. But, as they get older, the distance between them is good! Also, sure makes the back two seats more easily accessible and takes them from virtually useless for anyone 5 feet tall or more, to just fine for most anyone. The ability for those in the back 2 seats to put their legs straight and between the 2 middle seats is fantastic. Also, with two kids, each gets a friend and 6 seats works.

It is also quite useful to be able to put one or more back seats down and use the space between the middle seats to haul things that are longer. For me, that's soccer training poles, but could be lumber, or just about anything. The area when the back seats are flat is nice, but, not sufficient for longer items.

My original point was trying to be that the split between permanent boosters on both outer middle row seats is effectively larger without the bench seat. I've had my kids in plenty of cars with bench seats - having that open air space (no bench) between them makes a material difference in how they relate to each other in the car. I can give examples, but that's the idea.

I see what you mean, but physically they are still the same distance apart and the X is a very wide car. If my kids were fighting that much I'd put them in different rows anyway!

Hello - first post and new to the community. I apologize in advance if this post violates any forum rules or contains duplicate questions - I couldn't find the answers elsewhere and thought some people here might know.

Thanks for the help! I look forward to being part of the Model X community!

Welcome to TMC! I too have a young child (3 yr old) and bought the X coming from a Toyota Sienna. I also had a 7 seat X, have a 6 now. Although not the same car, I also have a 5+2 (Rear Facing Seats) S for comparison.) So hopefully my thoughts help you out.

1) Given my use case above, do most agree that the 7-seater would make sense for us?

We had the original 7 seater, the major disadvantage is the middle seat blocked the rear view mirror. It's not as much of a problem if you're buying a new 7 seater. The 7 seat has some big advantages, especially with 1 kid. You can place the car seat in the middle row and still fit 2 adults on the sides. Essentially eliminating the need for the 3rd row entirely unless you actually carry more passengers.

With that said, the 6 seat showed us a positive over the summer. We were able to stand our kid up in the middle "aisle" and easily change him while we were at the water park. The middle aisle is not really advantageous for an adult, but for kids it does help with little things like that, feeding, diaper bags, etc.

Personally, I still prefer the 7 seat configuration; especially with the new config that folds. I would think that makes sense over a 6 seat. At the time that I switched, I needed to be able to carry long items that the 7 wasn't allowing me to do.

2) Does anyone have experience with child seats in the Tesla? While we only one have child, we would keep the car seat in the middle of the 2nd row, rear facing for at least another year. If we have a second child, we would ideally keep the youngest one rear facing in the middle with the older one front facing on one of the side seats. Would that set up work well? Any suggestions in my thinking?

We have 1 child. We also watch neighbors kids, nephews. So rear facing, front facing, high back boosters; we've done it. This thing is a minivan replacement. The setup you're thinking will work, just know that you will not have latch in the middle and will need to do a belt in. You'll also need thinner car seats, we had trouble with our larger car seats fitting side by side - our Diono's fit fine in that configuration.

3) Is the multi-pattern black interior OK with kids and spills? Or might it stain/damage too easily and thus the faux leather would be worth the $3300 upgrade?

I have the real leather so I can't really comment too much..our leather seats were worth it with clean up but do pick up the all weather mats. Those catch a LOT of cereal and juice.

4) Any other tips that Model X owners with small children have?

Little things you don't think about.

1) The frunk is PERFECT for an emergency diaper bag and umbrella stroller. We keep ours in there and forget about it, but it's a life saver when we need it.

2) Plenty of plugs for plug in coolers if you want, but the X on LO keeps the car plenty frosty for milk in a pinch.

3) The falcon wing doors make it a piece of cake to put your kid into the car seat. Your kid can fight you all they want, but a plop is easier than tucking their head and squeezing them into an opening.

4) Autopilot. I am not condoning taking your eyes off the road. But sometimes your kid screams - or mine does. Sometimes, it can't wait. Sometimes I need to yell at them, others I need to just hand them a pouch or pick up a [insert thing here] to prevent a full meltdown. It only takes 2-3 seconds, and in those 2-3 seconds you can veer off the road. Autopilot - again not condoning taking your eyes off, but if needed offers a little bit of peace of mind if you're going to do it anyway.

5) Get a mat for under your car seat. They will leave depressions into the seats, but the depressions come out after a week of regular use w/o the car seat.

With that said, the 6 seat showed us a positive over the summer. We were able to stand our kid up in the middle "aisle" and easily change him while we were at the water park. The middle aisle is not really advantageous for an adult, but for kids it does help with little things like that, feeding, diaper bags, etc.

This reminded me of something else funny that happened to us over the summer.

We were stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic in the middle of the desert, couldn't pull over to side, but still moving at a crawl (1-2 mph).

7 year old boy had to pee.

He stood up in that convenient space in the middle of the 2nd row seats, we handed him a gatorade bottle, and crisis averted. Not sure he would have had the dexterity to pull that off in a 7 seater...

4) Autopilot. I am not condoning taking your eyes off the road. But sometimes your kid screams - or mine does. Sometimes, it can't wait. Sometimes I need to yell at them, others I need to just hand them a pouch or pick up a [insert thing here] to prevent a full meltdown. It only takes 2-3 seconds, and in those 2-3 seconds you can veer off the road. Autopilot - again not condoning taking your eyes off, but if needed offers a little bit of peace of mind if you're going to do it anyway.

I have done this with autopilot when the kids have been fighting!! One more reason to love my X!

^^ This. That extra space ends up being key with younger children -- I had forgotten the many times we changed him in that space. If I was doing it again, even with the folding 2nd row option now available, I'd still get the 6.