Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Xmas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you bring home your xmas trees?
I was planning on using a trailer, but ended up using Seasucker paddleboard holders on the roof instead.

Attachments

• 8567B1D3-7CC8-4FF0-A08E-30A80BD84525.jpeg
    8567B1D3-7CC8-4FF0-A08E-30A80BD84525.jpeg
    680.7 KB · Views: 151
Nice! Did you get any looks? hehe I'm looking for solutions to transport stuff when needed - on short trips ie getting the xmas tree the suckers make sense but on longer trips anything on the roof will have a significant effect on range. I will try to get a horizontal hitch rack for skis/snowboard (not convinced about vertical racks) - you can also get a hitch box, kind of like a roof box.

Nice! Did you get any looks? hehe I'm looking for solutions to transport stuff when needed - on short trips ie getting the xmas tree the suckers make sense but on longer trips anything on the roof will have a significant effect on range. I will try to get a horizontal hitch rack for skis/snowboard (not convinced about vertical racks) - you can also get a hitch box, kind of like a roof box.

I did get a few looks, but that is the norm when driving an X in Denmark.

I actually bought the paddle board rack with the intention of using them to put a 210cm ski box on top. The hitch mounted boxes are not well suited for cross country skis, due to length and leaving the skis exposed to salt and road debris, is not an attractive option. I have considered wrapping the skis in cling film for protection.

Range will definitely take a hit, but how much is unknown. I think the low temperatures are the main problem, but losses are of course cumulative. I hope to experiment a bit more tomorrow.

BDFA4C44-83AC-4CAA-A2EE-9F5C856B8D93.jpeg
B21D0B26-B520-463A-BD70-099F93F5D7B9.jpeg
CFADBD82-3475-403F-AF1C-B717310961DE.jpeg
Put my skis on top and took a few unscientific test drives. At 110km/h the consumption was about 10% higher than without the rack. No vibrations and no wind noise to be noticed. Took it up to to 130km/h without losing my skis or seeing any vibrations. I then put the skis inside a ski bag and drove the same route. Maybe a little higher consumption and definitely more wind noise. No vibration in the rack. Cool feature that you can see the vacuum pumps through the glass roof, so loss of suction is visible from the inside.

Note that the bars are so wide that you need to slant the posterior one to keep from hitting the opposite door.

Last edited:
Reactions: vandacca
I have the same rack and used it to carry home a xmas tree a month ago. That's all I've used it for so far, as I prefer to have a hitch-mounted box/bag to carry my snowboards. If I had x-country skis, I would probably need to do the same thing, as they would probably be too long for the bag/box.