Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - back seat's small rattle noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The technician spent about 45 minutes trying to figure it out. I drove the car with him in the backseat. He pushed and prodded and poked. He thought the seat wasn’t firmly in place but that did not really help. This is a significant rattle. Definitely from the backseat. He suggested I schedule an appointment in about a month. Hopefully a fix will surface. He is at a loss. He has corrected rattles for me before with great success.

I've had similar rattles and buzzing sounds coming from the back seats. Seems to be on the passenger side, not coming from the headrests, dropping the seats helps but not 100%. I've had 3 service visits (one mobile) and they've replaced a part, acknowledged the problem, but seem unable (or unwilling) to fix it, but suggest that I schedule something again later. Clearly, there is an issue, and while acknowledged, a fix doesn't seem to be a real priority. I've been going back and forth with this since March.

I will try an experiment tomorrow. With the seats folded down, I will place a 25 pound weight on each of the 3 folded seat backs (the carpeted side). I will do this one section at a time. This should isolate any noise generating structure. I noted that the seat back covers do rattle when struck. Perhaps they act like a drum-skin when a sharp bump is hit. Will report back tomorrow late afternoon.

I will try an experiment tomorrow. With the seats folded down, I will place a 25 pound weight on each of the 3 folded seat backs (the carpeted side). I will do this one section at a time. This should isolate any noise generating structure. I noted that the seat back covers do rattle when struck. Perhaps they act like a drum-skin when a sharp bump is hit. Will report back tomorrow late afternoon.
Well I could not wait. Surprising results! The seats are not the source of the noise. The rear doors (not the hatch) are the cause. When my passenger applied pressure to the interior door surface, the noise stopped. Both doors rattle. the right more than the left. I would have sworn that it was the seat. I will set up a service appointment.

Reactions: Za_c
For me it’s been the middle seat that rattles. When I fold the middle seat down it goes away. It doesn’t seem related to the head rest because I’ve driven without the headrest and the seat in the up position and it still rattled. They fixed the clip where the head rest slides into the middle seat because the headrest wasn’t staying in the upright position and they supposedly addressed the rattle, but it’s still there. The service invoice mentioned adding more insulation to the seat but that hasn’t helped. Currently I just drive with the middle seat folded down and have minimal to no rattle. Maybe in several months they might have found a fix but I’ll wait again before I bring it back so as to not waste my time.

For me it’s been the middle seat that rattles. When I fold the middle seat down it goes away. It doesn’t seem related to the head rest because I’ve driven without the headrest and the seat in the up position and it still rattled. They fixed the clip where the head rest slides into the middle seat because the headrest wasn’t staying in the upright position and they supposedly addressed the rattle, but it’s still there. The service invoice mentioned adding more insulation to the seat but that hasn’t helped. Currently I just drive with the middle seat folded down and have minimal to no rattle. Maybe in several months they might have found a fix but I’ll wait again before I bring it back so as to not waste my time.
Oddly mine sounded better with the seats fully or partially folded down. I think it is simply because the sound reflected differently off all the glass in the car depending on seat position. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but just that I thought the same thing and was very surprised to find out that it was the door panels. Also the technician spent a lot of time in the backseat trying to find it and never suspected the door panels. Although you’re probably right don’t rule out other possibilities.

Well I could not wait. Surprising results! The seats are not the source of the noise. The rear doors (not the hatch) are the cause. When my passenger applied pressure to the interior door surface, the noise stopped. Both doors rattle. the right more than the left. I would have sworn that it was the seat. I will set up a service appointment.
Update. Door fix stopped the rattle.

He removed the panel verifying that several of the clips were not seated. He added foam tape to isolate a few spots and re-installed the door firmly seating all clips. 15 minutes per door.
I'm definitely hearing a rattle on my front passenger window. Mostly disappears if l lower the window about a half an inch. Worse when it's colder than when hot and sunny. Maybe seals are expanding when it is hot. Did try to re-calibrate the window but really didn't help. Wondering if some of those clips are loose as well on my door.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
I'm definitely hearing a rattle on my front passenger window. Mostly disappears if l lower the window about a half an inch. Worse when it's colder than when hot and sunny. Maybe seals are expanding when it is hot. Did try to re-calibrate the window but really didn't help. Wondering if some of those clips are loose as well on my door.

I have the same thing. most of the time its quiet, sometimes its crazy loud.