Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model y battery upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi, new to this forum
Musk told us that the battery range will be lower for the model y because it’s obvious a bigger car, but does anyone think that the model y should get a new battery? I think there will be a range increase because the model 3 battery tech hasn’t improved and what’s more shocking is that the model x and s haven’t got the 2170, and at this point it’s obvious that the model s and x will be getting a battery better then the 3 other wise they wouldn’t have waited this long. Maybe they will get the max well battery. But do u guys think the model y will get this battery because it still has a year or so. Also I do remember Elon during the reveal say “that this is what the model y will have for range it may be better” or something off of that line. What do u guys think

I don't think that it is obvious that the cars will be getting a better battery. Evidently switching batteries doesn't seem to be that easy.
The 3 may get the newer batteries because there will probably be no form factor change needed.

There's a lot of focus on moving forward with the other models, that tends to make updates a lot harder

Yes I know that no matter what mode y will have less range. But what I’m trying to say is when the model y comes out do u think it will have a new battery or run the same ones currently in 2170. If it does get a new battery then I think model 3 and defiantly model s and x would get them. I just wanna know what people think about model y getting a new battery and what the odds are

I wouldn't count on S/X getting a battery upgrade those models are not part of the future for Tesla. 50/50 chance there will be a change of battery chemistry/design for models 3/Y by the time Y is released perhaps a lithium/super capacitor hybrid

Reactions: JeffnReno
Yes I know that no matter what mode y will have less range. But what I’m trying to say is when the model y comes out do u think it will have a new battery or run the same ones currently in 2170. If it does get a new battery then I think model 3 and defiantly model s and x would get them. I just wanna know what people think about model y getting a new battery and what the odds are

I believe everyone expects the Model Y will have the same batteries as the Model 3.

There might be a incremental improvement to batteries in both vehicles, but I expect both vehicles will have the same batteries.

As has been mentioned above, the Y is a bit heavier and a bit less aerodynamic, so the EPA range will be a bit less than the 3.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
With the Model Y current spec range being 300 miles LR Rwd and 280 mile LR Awd. I'm keeping our Model 3 LR Rwd as the other benefits of trading it, for now, don't outweigh the range loss for us personally. If a change in battery chemistry or type allows an equal range or better, we would probably go for trading in both our Model 3 and our ICE Awd Rogue for one BEV as our only vehicle. We still might but will depend on price point and trade values with comparably equipped Model Y. One thing is certain, we won't be tying up $2500 waiting to find out for a year or longer like the $1000 pre-reveal and waiting over 2 years. Then seeing the prices go down and deliveries being made within weeks of configuring the car.

... One thing is certain, we won't be tying up $2500 waiting to find out for a year or longer like the $1000 pre-reveal and waiting over 2 years. Then seeing the prices go down and deliveries being made within weeks of configuring the car.

Do you think there are as many pre-orders? We just put down the $2500 for the AWD but only because the timeline supposedly moved up. I purchased my SR+ off the lot back in July after test driving the day before so I get what you’re saying but I haven’t heard anything about demand beyond complete rumor mill or Electrek.co’s speculation

Do you think there are as many pre-orders? We just put down the $2500 for the AWD but only because the timeline supposedly moved up. I purchased my SR+ off the lot back in July after test driving the day before so I get what you’re saying but I haven’t heard anything about demand beyond complete rumor mill or Electrek.co’s speculation
I have no idea how many preorders they have but I hope it's more than they can make for quite some time as I only want Tesla to succeed in the biggest way possible. I'd always dreamed of owning a Tesla ever since the original Roadster but never thought I'd be able to get one. When Elon mentioned they would be selling the Model 3 for $35k, I couldn't put down my $1k quick enough to make sure I had a spot for one pre-reveal (which I did). When it became clear that the wait would be prolonged even more if I waited on the SR at that price, I saved, invested, begged and borrowed to get the LR Rwd we have today. After that, the Awd, PM3, Mid Range, SR, and SR+ came out with various pricing and option fluctuations that really didn't take that long after I got mine in June of 2018. I'm very happy with my car but seeing that I could have saved several thousand dollars by waiting a relativity short time was a learning experience so I'm being patient before making the Model Y jump. If I never get one, I'm still driving the best car I've ever owned so I can afford to wait and see how it plays out.

Yes I know that no matter what mode y will have less range.
But what I’m trying to say is when the model y comes out do u think it will have a new battery or run the same ones currently in 2170.
If it does get a new battery then I think model 3 and defiantly model s and x would get them.
I just wanna know what people think about model y getting a new battery and what the odds are
Don't the Model Y will have a 5.5" longer wheelbase than the Model 3?
If so, could Tesla add few more battery cells to compensate the extra weight and height of Model Y for provide a higher range?

Reactions: JeffnReno
Detail specs for the Model Y are not available yet.
No one will know for sure until Tesla releases the full specs,
but the estimate from looking at the pictures would be about 2 to 3 inches increases for the wheelbase and about 6 inches for the length.

2-png.389869

If we want the Y to be released on time it has to maintain compatibility to the model 3 as much as possible. Also, Teslas are much more efficient compared to the Ford Mach-E. The Mach-E has similar range to the Y but requires a larger battery. Hence, no real need at this time to install a larger battery in the Y. What I think is more likely is a model Y range adjustment using the more efficient motor control algorithms that were recently rolled out to the model 3, S, and X. As model Y gets closer to shipment I think it likely we might see some spec adjustment.

Last edited: