Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y buy back and issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I'm seeking opinions on a situation I've recently encountered:
I recently purchased a Tesla Model Y Performance. Initially, there were some paint imperfections and issues with side mirror cracks, but these were resolved by the service center. However, a few days later, I started receiving an error message stating, "My vehicle may not restart. Please make a service appointment." I promptly scheduled a service appointment, and initially, I was informed that the rear inverter needed replacement. After some time, I was told that the entire rear drive unit required replacement.
Today, I received a call from the service center informing me that my car had been vandalized while in their care and now needs to go to the paint shop. It has been over three weeks since my car was initially taken to the service center, and it has only accumulated 403 miles in total. The service center manager mentioned that he could request a buyback from Tesla, but couldn't guarantee any specific outcome.
Has anyone else faced a similar experience or can offer any insights or advice on this matter?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and TL:DR
Today, I received a call from the service center informing me that my car had been vandalized while in their care and now needs to go to the paint shop. It has been over three weeks since my car was initially taken to the service center, and it has only accumulated 403 miles in total. The service center manager mentioned that he could request a buyback from Tesla, but couldn't guarantee any specific outcome.
Has anyone else faced a similar experience or can offer any insights or advice on this matter?
Let the service manager request the buyback on your behalf. If he gets a yes, then you dont have to do anything else. If he gets a "no" then worry about it at that time. Seems pretty cut and dried to me on the path forward, especially since the service manager is willing to request this internally for you.

Worry about what happens if they say no, if they say no.

Let the service manager request the buyback on your behalf. If he gets a yes, then you dont have to do anything else. If he gets a "no" then worry about it at that time. Seems pretty cut and dried to me on the path forward, especially since the service manager is willing to request this internally for you.

thanks, I will keep it posted here. I think it might go through since its brand new vehicle with 400 miles only

do you know when will it qualify for lemon law? at this point vehicle has been in shop for 3 weeks
Once you're at 30 days it should be no issue as long as CA abides by that rule. (I'm in NY, not sure on your area)

I went through this with Hyundai, they agreed to buyback with no pushback. Have heard stories of Tesla also doing that. Once the timer runs out, there's really no issue getting a buyback if the documentation supports that the vehicle was in the shop that long. Shouldn't need to invoke "lemon law" with a lawyer or anything. Good luck

Once you're at 30 days it should be no issue as long as CA abides by that rule. (I'm in NY, not sure on your area)

I went through this with Hyundai, they agreed to buyback with no pushback. Have heard stories of Tesla also doing that. Once the timer runs out, there's really no issue getting a buyback if the documentation supports that the vehicle was in the shop that long. Shouldn't need to invoke "lemon law" with a lawyer or anything. Good luck
Thank you, so far this is what has happened.
1. PURCHASED car on 9/16/2023
2. Had first service request to fix some paint issues and other issues with some gaps and a scratch on the rear passenger window.(all were fixed by Service center and my car was returned in 9 days.)
3. on 9/26, the car went into service again because of critical error with failure of rear drive unit. It has been in the service center since then
4. On 10/13, I got call from Service center manager that my car has been vandalized and it needs to go to body shop since the person who vandalized it scratched it entirely with a sand paper or something. Manager said he can request buy back but there is no guarantee. he can start the process and wait for Tesla to approve or not

if they do not accept, what do I do next? lemon law?

Thank you, so far this is what has happened.
1. PURCHASED car on 9/16/2023
2. Had first service request to fix some paint issues and other issues with some gaps and a scratch on the rear passenger window.(all were fixed by Service center and my car was returned in 9 days.)
3. on 9/26, the car went into service again because of critical error with failure of rear drive unit. It has been in the service center since then
4. On 10/13, I got call from Service center manager that my car has been vandalized and it needs to go to body shop since the person who vandalized it scratched it entirely with a sand paper or something. Manager said he can request buy back but there is no guarantee. he can start the process and wait for Tesla to approve or not

if they do not accept, what do I do next? lemon law?

I dont know if lemon law covers vandalism, you would need to engage a lawyer to find that out. its 30 DAVIS days (days vehicle in service) however body shop repair due to vandalism may or may not be something that qualifies for "days vehicle in service". You are jumping ahead though, you dont need to engage a lawyer or anything unless or until Tesla says "no" to this. That would be the point to try to dig into what actually qualifies for Lemon law (vs a manufacturer voluntary buyback).

^ this - you don’t need further discussion or opinions.

Good luck - please post the outcome

Reactions: Dexion
I am in a very similar situation, where my drive unit was replaced on a bran new vehicle and it still didnt fix the issue. The service GM has requested a buyback and i am waiting.

Harmanpreet what was the outcome of your vehicle situation?

The person who created this thread joined here on october 12th, posted this thread, and last checked into this site on October 13th (the next day) and has not been back since. You are unlikely to hear from them. This usually happens when people join to complain about something, then it gets resolved in some way, and they never circle back to say what happened or even check the site again.

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 11.36.14 AM.png

The person who created this thread joined here on october 12th, posted this thread, and last checked into this site on October 13th (the next day) and has not been back since. You are unlikely to hear from them. This usually happens when people join to complain about something, then it gets resolved in some way, and they never circle back to say what happened or even check the site again.

View attachment 989883
I see thanks.
Anyone had any luck w. the buyback issue? Will appreciate any response.....I am very frustrated tesla owner!

Just do the buy back.
I did after they couldn’t fix my paint after 4 tries.
Got my money back last week (bought at the peak). Now I’m looking at S’s. 😂

But seriously, go for the buy back and get a car thats been built better

Just do the buy back.
I did after they couldn’t fix my paint after 4 tries.
Got my money back last week (bought at the peak). Now I’m looking at S’s. 😂

But seriously, go for the buy back and get a car thats been built better
How did your buyback go? Did you get all the money you paid for including the registration fees? I had my MY wrapped - do they reimburse you for the wrap?

Hello - Tesla got back to me saying with a repurchase offer. I am now waiting for the paperwork to turn ownership of my MY to them. In the meantime, i am on a loaner MY. At least they gave me free supercharging. Any idea how long the paperwork takes and the the issuance of the check?

thanks!

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Hello -- iTesla is still stalling ont he paper work for the buyback. It has been 1 months since they said they will buyback but the paperwork is not in order yet. Any idea how it took for those in this forum that had a successful repurchase by tesla done?