Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

I recently got Model Y and want to treat the car right and maintain in pristine condition. Till now ive been driving honda civic and used to take it to touchless/ tunnel car wash. Over the period of driving it for 7 years i notice lot of swirl marks and scratches that could be the result of touchless car wash, hard soaps and hard water they use. I dont want to repeat the same mistake again for model y. With numerous rinseless wash brands i see on market im completely overwhelmed. These are few things im looking for in the product, I did full front ppf and im looking for a product that doesnt damage it, shouldnt take ton of time and dont want any wax or streaks left behind. I see products like rubitt and nano foam 2.0 but not sure how they stack against OGs like ONR, Absolute and other brands. Please suggest what brands worked for you and any “donts” that i may have to avoid.

Rinseless should be better than a tunnel wash, but it’s not a substitute for the two bucket method. If done correctly and up to a point, rinseless is just as safe as two bucket. However, if there's too much dirt to be taken off safely, you have to go two bucket. Essentially as long as it's a maintenance wash, rinseless is just as safe. There are dozens of videos on YouTube showing and comparing every method. I use a rinse, foam gun (vs cannon), the two bucket method, and a detailer as a drying agent. I use microfiber mitts and towels. Rinseless is too limiting IMO, but I understand washing with water isn’t allowed some places. Anytime there’s dirt between your sponge/cloth/mitt/towel and your finish, no magic chemical will totally eliminate micro abrasion. Rinseless isn’t magic.

Upvote 0
Rinseless washing is a compromise. If you’re serious about a clean car and borderline ocd rinseless isn’t an option.

2 bucket wash, electric power washer with 900-1000 psi, microfiber madness wash mitt, quality soap such as carpro and a spotless cr (i use DI water for my entire wash), and electric leaf blower to dry. Don’t forget products for wheels and tires which is a whole separate process.

Upvote 0
Get PPF

Get Ceramic

Go thru car was NO WORRIES

Washing your own car is a PIA.

My CYBERTRUCK is my 10th Tesla and it is being wrapped this week.
It will then be washed at the car was like the rest of them. $13.99 a month for unlimited washes.

Upvote 0
OP - you’ll need to decide how far you’ll go, other than products. Foam gun, pressure washer, two buckets, tires/wheels/rims…

You’ve already got PPF for the front half. And grey is relatively safe from the inevitable swirls and scratches. If it was black/red/blue, that’s a different problem.

In any case, pick how you want to go about it, then you land on the products needed. I use Chemical Guys products, with foam gun, leaf blower and XL-sized absorbent towels for final drying. Wheels and rims get a good go over and tires dressed. That’s about as far as I’ll go and it takes about an hour.
It’s a Tesla MY and there are a million of these on the road and it’s not an exotic 😁

Good luck!

Reactions: JMGNC
Upvote 0
R
OP - you’ll need to decide how far you’ll go, other than products. Foam gun, pressure washer, two buckets, tires/wheels/rims…

You’ve already got PPF for the front half. And grey is relatively safe from the inevitable swirls and scratches. If it was black/red/blue, that’s a different problem.

In any case, pick how you want to go about it, then you land on the products needed. I use Chemical Guys products, with foam gun, leaf blower and XL-sized absorbent towels for final drying. Wheels and rims get a good go over and tires dressed. That’s about as far as I’ll go and it takes about an hour.
It’s a Tesla MY and there are a million of these on the road and it’s not an exotic 😁

Good luck!
Thats about as far as i would go too 😂. If im being honest my enthusiasm might wear off one year (at the max 2 yrs) from now. Sure i want to keep it clean and have it (near) scratch proof but i also want to be realistic with how much time i get to spend cleaning my car. I will start of with prep spray of ONR before actual ONR rubs and i might want to use some drying agent. I will then decide if im happy with that

Upvote 0
Get PPF

Get Ceramic

It will then be washed at the car was like the rest of them. $13.99 a month for unlimited washes.
Isn’t PPF (and additionally ceramic) expensive? About 10% of original cost of Tesla Y? I guess you’d have to cover all the non-glass area of car so PPF cost would rack up fast.

For those considering ONR - it’s great. About the only way I would recommend if you have shaded area to work through. But you have to learn to do it right (2 bucket, plenty of time at hand, spare mitts and new towels and THEN! clean those dirty towels as well!) - You basically cannot use towels used once again as it’s hard to clean those. All it takes is 1 bad piece of grime on that used towel to make mess of wash the second time

Now my main piece of note with ONR and the likes that I have NOT seen anyone mention. It’s the exposure to chemicals in ONR (plus the foaming thing) as we end up breathing… I cannot imagine that being healthy. I tried using mask (left over from covid times) while using ONR and another degreaser from Walmart. But it still doesn’t feel 100% safe for myself and for others.
Iff…. It was outside in the open, may be exposure is bit less but I’m left thinking about chemicals I am letting into streams of water or grassy fields around (where kids may play). Sooo I’m back to researching. May be some other steaming or other techniques may be more natural and safer ways to clean car, while also maintaining safety around the process.
In short I love to clean car by myself but feel terrible about current processes. I don’t seem to find touchless wash here in souther CT area at all! (Sort of just let water spray on your car with minimal chemicals)

Upvote 0
Get PPF

Get Ceramic

First of all, PPF AND ceramic is ridiculously expensive. If you think it's worth it, rock on. However, most owners do not have that kind of scratch to blow just to make it a little easier to wash. And you cannot wash ceramic any old way you want. If you don't wash your car according to the very specific instructions of the ceramic installer, you'll void the warranty.

Upvote 0
Isn’t PPF (and additionally ceramic) expensive? About 10% of original cost of Tesla Y? I guess you’d have to cover all the non-glass area of car so PPF cost would rack up fast.

For those considering ONR - it’s great. About the only way I would recommend if you have shaded area to work through. But you have to learn to do it right (2 bucket, plenty of time at hand, spare mitts and new towels and THEN! clean those dirty towels as well!) - You basically cannot use towels used once again as it’s hard to clean those. All it takes is 1 bad piece of grime on that used towel to make mess of wash the second time

Now my main piece of note with ONR and the likes that I have NOT seen anyone mention. It’s the exposure to chemicals in ONR (plus the foaming thing) as we end up breathing… I cannot imagine that being healthy. I tried using mask (left over from covid times) while using ONR and another degreaser from Walmart. But it still doesn’t feel 100% safe for myself and for others.
Iff…. It was outside in the open, may be exposure is bit less but I’m left thinking about chemicals I am letting into streams of water or grassy fields around (where kids may play). Sooo I’m back to researching. May be some other steaming or other techniques may be more natural and safer ways to clean car, while also maintaining safety around the process.
In short I love to clean car by myself but feel terrible about current processes. I don’t seem to find touchless wash here in souther CT area at all! (Sort of just let water spray on your car with minimal chemicals)
I absolutely agree with you. I suspect it’s a dirty little secret of the car detailing industry. Particularly the wheel and tire cleaners. And then it all runs off into the ground. I wear nitrile gloves.

Upvote 0
First of all, PPF AND ceramic is ridiculously expensive. If you think it's worth it, rock on. However, most owners do not have that kind of scratch to blow just to make it a little easier to wash. And you cannot wash ceramic any old way you want. If you don't wash your car according to the very specific instructions of the ceramic installer, you'll void the warranty.
Not that expensive.
Clear PPF on front up to and including A Pillars and mirrors only $1500. Ceramic, not necessary, but if you wish, $300 for entire car. Then, run through the car wash as much as you wantfor $13.99 a month.

Hey, and you want even need a Hazmat suit?

Who wants to spend two hours twice a week washing a car?

Attached is what my 2014 S looked like after 10 years when the PPF was removed. Like new.

If you are on a budget, and have your hazmat gloves, I recommend Chemical Guys WET mirror finish. The Y after WET.

Attachments

• 110841.jpeg
    110841.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 123650.jpeg
    123650.jpeg
    545.9 KB · Views: 2
  • PPF Front.jpg
    PPF Front.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Mud Flap on all Paws.jpg
    Mud Flap on all Paws.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220622_094346(1).jpg
    20220622_094346(1).jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0
Not that expensive.
Clear PPF on front up to and including A Pillars and mirrors only $1500. Ceramic, not necessary, but if you wish, $300 for entire car. Then, run through the car wash as much as you wantfor $13.99 a month.

Attached is what my 2014 S looked like after 10 years when the PPF was removed. Like new.

If you are on a budget, and have your hazmat gloves, I recommend Chemical Guys WET mirror finish. The Y after WET.
Would you mind sharing where you got the X/S style decal on your front bumper? I had a thread asking for such a setup on the Y and didn't get much response.

Upvote 0
Take your PPF and Ceramic budget money and invest that money for your future car. Instead, do a ceramic coating yourself. Amazon has tons of decently priced brands and youtube has tons of videos how to do it. About washing, wash your car by hand and if you really want to invest in something buy an electric pressure washer and a strong leaf blower. It will make washing and drying a breeze. You can wash a Model Y in less than 20 minutes if you do it right. Do a rinse first with PW to get most of the dirt out, then do a Pre wash with a soap gun (I got one from Amazon for $12) with a good soap. Wash the soap and then either use Ceramic wash or ONR in a bucket and just wash the car with it by hand. Then rinse and blow dry with the leaf blower. All done. If you have tons of bugs/grime in front then put some bug spray on them, wait 5 minutes before you do the step 1 above. Good luck. In the end its just a car.

NOTE: this does not apply if you live in an apartment and do not have access to water in your parking. Then you can use 2 bucket method instead. If you cannot use leaf blower (no outlet) then buy a couple of giant drying towels from TEMU. They do a pretty good job. Model Y is actually a small car and is relatively easy to wash by hand as compared to something like Lincoln Navigator.

Upvote 0
Not that expensive.

Most people actually replace a car in 10 yrs because of technology and servicing upgrades. Plus the retail value of a 10 yr used car with excellent looks (like yours) or a well maintained car (not a beaten up or not cared for car) are about the same. I did a dealer trade and they gave no additional $$ to me because mine looked like new. When I insisted that this had PPF, etc. they offered me $100 more. So then there is that.

Upvote 0
It is funny the lengths people will go to to justify their choices. Yes, you can spend $5K or more putting PPF on a Tesla, if you want to go to extremes (some do). Great if you want, but it's just a car, not an appreciated classic or exotic.

However, I do want to keep my MY in above average condition, hand washing is the middle ground, far superior to a tunnel wash which will slowly leave swirls and scratches all over. Rinseless is better, but your finish will scratch some.

So I put PPF on the front only where the impacts would be the worst, cost less than $100 on Amazon, I put it on myself and you can't even see it.

Someone mentioned how long it takes to handwash a car, two hours is total nonsense. It takes me just over half and hour. I don't have a pressure washer, or dryer - both would be nice but not worth the $ to me.

I spray down the front with bug and tar remover to let it dwell (less than a minute). I then wash the wheels first with a separate brush and mitt (a couple minutes). I then rinse off the whole car with water, followed with a foam gun over the whole car (a couple minutes). Then I use the two bucket method to go over the whole car with clean mitts, I flip the mitt and rinse often to avoid rubbing dirt in as much as possible. I rinse with water 2-3 times as I go (5-10 minutes). I then quickly blow off with my leaf blower, mostly to get water out of hard to reach spots like door handles, lights, etc (a minute). Then I dry the whole car with two dedicated microfiber towels - Chem Guys Gauntlet is spectacular, which gets most of the water off (5 minutes at most). I then go over the car with clean microfiber towels and detail spray as a drying agent and to get a slicker surface (a few minutes). I then dry the sills and hatches with the same (now used) microfiber towels (a few minutes). Done.

Will I get lazy and put less effort into it as the car gets older. Maybe. But we had a black Audi TT for 6 years that I hand washed year round, thru Chicago winters, never resorted to any automated car wash. Still had a beautiful finish when we sold it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not that expensive.

$1500 for just the front is expensive to me. And you cannot just run your car thru ANY car wash after ceramic unless you wanna void your warranty.

Who needs to wash their car twice a week?? If I lived in a place that got so much dirt on my car that I had to wash it twice per week I might consider it, but I'd consider moving before I did that. Washing twice a week just to keep it looking nice is nuts. Only a masochist would do that.

Upvote 0
I take ours to one of those self-service wash bays. I'm not trying to keep them looking concours-level clean, just looking good and as scratch free as possible. I even use the foam brush sometimes (gasp!) but only after spraying it off with the pressure washer to make sure it's clean.

Upvote 0
Would you mind sharing where you got the X/S style decal on your front bumper? I had a thread asking for such a setup on the Y and didn't get much response.
I'm not sure if they make it anymore, because my friend had to take a drawing of mine and have it custom made, but you can give it a try here.

Bumper Grille vinyl decal sticker | Fits Tesla Model 3 & Model Y | |Popular exerior accessory in 2022 2023 | Many other styles available https://a.co/d/iy4UiHF

Upvote 0