Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y clicking noise Tesla is unable to fix it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

can any one help me to identify this noise, I already had two service appointments with Tesla but they are not able to fix it
noise is coming from trunk area, it goes away after service but return after few days, so far Tesla tech replace trim clips but not luck.

I tried while removing everything from trunk including splitter, fold down all back seats but nothing changed. I noticed more clicking when whether is warm and when tire pressure is above 40 PSI. clicking noise randomly goes away and comes back. after adjusting four rubber that supports trunk gate
noise disappeared and returned after few days. I tried knocking/tapping all interior trim but unable to produce same noise, booked my third SC appointment fingers cross.

finally SC tech is able to find source, it was trim that holds trunk speakers. he put insulation between glass and trim above trunk speaker.
I drove 50km on hwy 100-110 km/h and 20 km on street at 50 km/h and so far noise didn't return
I was going to do the same. My trim is a bit wobbly there. I saw in another thread someone put some putty in the gap between that trim and glass as a solution.

finally SC tech is able to find source, it was trim that holds trunk speakers. he put insulation between glass and trim above trunk speaker.
I drove 50km on hwy 100-110 km/h and 20 km on street at 50 km/h and so far noise didn't return
Is the insulation a bit of foam that is visible in the gap between glass and plastic (mine has a bit of a gap on one side and other no gap) or is the insulation hidden deeper down behind trim?

Is the insulation a bit of foam that is visible in the gap between glass and plastic (mine has a bit of a gap on one side and other no gap) or is the insulation hidden deeper down behind trim?
at first he tried with couple fold of plastic bag and we test drove, not sure what type of insulation he added, what I know that he removed trim and added insulation. I don't see anything between glass and trim

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Finally noise is gone after sound deadening/soundproofing which help me to reduce most rattling, now my model Y is 60% quieter also booming noise is reduce to 30 - 40%
I believe noise was coming from gate itself, following tuning helped me to eliminate noise.

1. adjust four rubber that support gate
2. added some wight during sound proofing process
3. adjust tail gate hinge near lock.

here is complete video of sound proofing

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54