Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comfort suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove the 2023 Model Y Long Range, and found the suspension to be fine. Later I received my 2023 Model Y Long Range, and the ride was completely different after driving a Lexus. After reading about lowering the tire pressure to remedy the ride quality, I did so. Is it possible the Tesla Facility lowered the tire pressure in order to improve ride quality for potential buyers? I have an appointment for the service department to check the suspension, but I suspect nothing will be done to correct the harsh ride. I certainly have second thoughts about buying this car. Is there a way to locate whether or not I have the comfort suspension on my car?
I have two lexus RX330 and LX470, one MB GLC300. LX has the best hydraulic suspension system among them and it rides like in cloud. However I found the 2023 Model Y LR suspension is good enough even comparing with LX or GLC. May not be as good as the feeling of hydraulic suspension but it is way better than I thought. it is almost as good as, if not better as GLC.

My Local service center is willing to install the 2023 suspension parts:
1 1188363-00-H Damper Assembly Coil E3 - Dual Motor - Front Left Hand
1 1188368-00-H Damper Assembly Coil E3 - Dual Motor - Front Right Hand
2 1188463-00-E Damper Assembly Coil - Dual Motor - Rear
2 1188474-00-C Spring, Rear, Coil
to my 2021 Tesla model Y (Freemont built).
But they are charging $2,617.22 to do it. ($ 840 parts and $ 1,606 Labor + tax) The reason the labor is so high is that they will do a "Drive Unit - Rear (Remove and Install). the labor cost of which is $980.
Tesla says this is the procedure for my VIN.
Does anyone know why "Drive Unit - Rear - Remove and Install is necessary?

Last edited:
Did you guys see this story?

I can't find any details anywhere about what changes were made. Anyone get told anything or notice anything with their recent pickups?
Just get a rear Camber kit and your set.. 👍🏻

My Local service center is willing to install the 2023 suspension parts:
to my 2021 Tesla model Y (Freemont built).
But they are charging $2,617.22 to do it. ($ 840 parts and $ 1,606 Labor + tax) The reason the labor is so high is that they will do a "Drive Unit - Rear (Remove and Install). the labor cost of which is $980.
Tesla says this is the procedure for my VIN.
Does anyone know why "Drive Unit - Rear - Remove and Install is necessary?

I have no clue why that would be the case. I know dealer techs have standard rates/processes per the job, but I just returned my wife’s MY LR back to stock (Eibach lowering springs swapped for stock springs) in 4 hours with two young children “contributing”. 😊

All done with basic tools in my driveway. I may have accidentally grazed the drive unit with my glove, but it didn’t leave the car. Lol

Hello there,

I took delivery today of a MY Long Range made in China which I believe was manufactured in the last 2-3 months.

I'd test driven a non comfort suspension MY previously which I found quite rough/ jarring and one with comfort suspension a few months ago which I thought felt quite a bit better.

That said on the drive home today my new MY felt quite harsh over bumps etc.

Maybe it was just the roads but having read this thread I'm worried I may not have the comfort suspension on this car.

I took off the wheel covers and took some snaps. Here is the rear of the car:

rear.jpeg

And here is from over the front wheels on a large spring:

front.jpeg

If anyone could let me know if this looks like the comfort suspension parts or otherwise, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

If anyone could let me know if this looks like the comfort suspension parts or otherwise, I'd really appreciate it!
A few posts before yours someone confirmed that the rear damper part you posted (1188463-00-E) is part of the "comfort" upgrade.
No mention of front springs being any different, but the front dampers and rear springs should be as below:

I've seen confirmation that Shanghai is putting this upgraded damper 1188463-00-E in their RWD Model Ys for Australia too.

Any ideas on how to improve it to get more in line with an Audi?
I inflate the tire 38 psi cold instead of the recommended 42 psi. Also using the Gemini wheels which are thicker and softer than the 20 inch upgrades. It is better now, but not as smooth as our Mercedes or Audi Q5. I know the upcoming revised Model 3 has softer suspension which will probably be used in the new model Y.

I managed to get the Spokane service center to order and then the Portland service center to install the "comfort" suspension in my March 2021-build Model Y LR (~33k miles on odo). Car is under warranty and I paid out of pocket.

Original/former suspension parts:
  • 1188368-00-F
  • 1188363-00-F
  • 1188474-00-B (x2)
  • 1188463-00-D (x2)

Newly installed comfort suspension parts:
  • 1188368-00-H "DAMPER ASSEMBLY COIL E3 - DUAL MOTOR - FRONT RIGHT HAND"
  • 1188363-00-H "DAMPER ASSEMBLY COIL E3 - DUAL MOTOR - FRONT LEFT HAND"
  • 1188474-00-C (x2) "SPRING, REAR, COIL"
  • 1188463-00-E (x2) "DAMPER ASSEMBLY COIL - REAR WHEEL DRIVE - REAR"
  • two nuts -- (1111145-00-A)

Even with multiple attempts, Portland service center and messaging on the phone app would not order the parts for me. In contrast, Spokane's service center asked no questions and ordered right away. Even then, the initial parts that arrived were not the part numbers I specifically ordered -- they automatically changed my order to "the ones that fit my car" which were earlier part revisions. I had to push a number of times for the exact parts I ordered. Once firmly corrected, the parts showed up in 2 weeks.

When the order arrived for pickup I simply asked a price for the install. There was no pushback from the service center for installing parts unrelated to warranty.

Parts cost was $837.22​
Labor cost was $365.40​
and no sales tax in Oregon​

The original suspension was my biggest complaint about the car. It was too crashy and unforgiving on rough roads. I would tell my friends it was "unrefined" for a car at the price point. But I didn't want to spend what looked like $2.5k-$4k on a 3rd party suspension. But $1k+ for just a slightly more comfortable suspension felt worth it. They are Tesla parts installed by Tesla, so I assume they are under warranty. I believe OEM would be preferable for a buyer if I decide to sell the car -- I can list it as unmodified.

My unscientific review: the "comfort" suspension feels ~10-15% less crashy/bouncy/harsh over larger bumps and potholes. The rebound always felt too strong and too "fast" on the original suspension. It was jarring. The updated parts are just slightly less reactive after hitting a larger bump. They smooth things out just enough without changing the overall feel of the car. Smaller bumps are slightly smoother but the biggest difference is larger bumps and imperfections. The new parts are not a major upgrade. Generally the car feels the same except I don't dread getting punched by the stiffness of the suspension on rough roads. I have yet to take the new suspension on gravel "washboard"-style roads, however I expect the ride will be very improved over the former suspension. Especially with 18" wheels and taller sidewalls (versus the OEM 19" Geminis), the ride is much more comfortable and improved.

Thanks to everyone on this forum and Reddit for the information on these parts. Cheers.

And if anyone wants the old parts... please take them.

I managed to get the Spokane service center to order and then the Portland service center to install the "comfort" suspension in my March 2021-build Model Y LR (~33k miles on odo). Car is under warranty and I paid out of pocket.

Original/former suspension parts:
  • 1188368-00-F
  • 1188363-00-F
  • 1188474-00-B (x2)
  • 1188463-00-D (x2)

Newly installed comfort suspension parts:
  • 1188368-00-H "DAMPER ASSEMBLY COIL E3 - DUAL MOTOR - FRONT RIGHT HAND"
  • 1188363-00-H "DAMPER ASSEMBLY COIL E3 - DUAL MOTOR - FRONT LEFT HAND"
  • 1188474-00-C (x2) "SPRING, REAR, COIL"
  • 1188463-00-E (x2) "DAMPER ASSEMBLY COIL - REAR WHEEL DRIVE - REAR"
  • two nuts -- (1111145-00-A)

Even with multiple attempts, Portland service center and messaging on the phone app would not order the parts for me. In contrast, Spokane's service center asked no questions and ordered right away. Even then, the initial parts that arrived were not the part numbers I specifically ordered -- they automatically changed my order to "the ones that fit my car" which were earlier part revisions. I had to push a number of times for the exact parts I ordered. Once firmly corrected, the parts showed up in 2 weeks.

When the order arrived for pickup I simply asked a price for the install. There was no pushback from the service center for installing parts unrelated to warranty.

Parts cost was $837.22​
Labor cost was $365.40​
and no sales tax in Oregon​

The original suspension was my biggest complaint about the car. It was too crashy and unforgiving on rough roads. I would tell my friends it was "unrefined" for a car at the price point. But I didn't want to spend what looked like $2.5k-$4k on a 3rd party suspension. But $1k+ for just a slightly more comfortable suspension felt worth it. They are Tesla parts installed by Tesla, so I assume they are under warranty. I believe OEM would be preferable for a buyer if I decide to sell the car -- I can list it as unmodified.

My unscientific review: the "comfort" suspension feels ~10-15% less crashy/bouncy/harsh over larger bumps and potholes. The rebound always felt too strong and too "fast" on the original suspension. It was jarring. The updated parts are just slightly less reactive after hitting a larger bump. They smooth things out just enough without changing the overall feel of the car. Smaller bumps are slightly smoother but the biggest difference is larger bumps and imperfections. The new parts are not a major upgrade. Generally the car feels the same except I don't dread getting punched by the stiffness of the suspension on rough roads. I have yet to take the new suspension on gravel "washboard"-style roads, however I expect the ride will be very improved over the former suspension. Especially with 18" wheels and taller sidewalls (versus the OEM 19" Geminis), the ride is much more comfortable and improved.

Thanks to everyone on this forum and Reddit for the information on these parts. Cheers.

And if anyone wants the old parts... please take them.

Great post thanks. I came to the same conclusion with the "comfort" suspension being 10-15% better. I test drove a 2023. I own a 2021. Certainly I was expecting (hoping?) for more improvement than 10-15%. I came away underwhelmed.

Reactions: richyrich
Great post thanks. I came to the same conclusion with the "comfort" suspension being 10-15% better. I test drove a 2023. I own a 2021. Certainly I was expecting (hoping?) for more improvement than 10-15%. I came away underwhelmed.
Yes it is not a big change IMO. But has effectively eliminated the worst aspects of the former suspension (and the car itself). Like I said the further addition of 18" wheels which are more forgiving is also a great benefit.

I intend to own the vehicle for many more years and the price was right, especially since I didn't have to do the install myself.

Reactions: DarrenHD
Anyone replace just the front shocks?

I have a 2020 model Y here where we installed newer (F version) front shocks as we were doing suspension work on it already, and it seems like it feels better than most 2020's I have driven. I imagine the H version will be even softer.

If anyone is thinking of upgrading suspension, I would try just the fronts and see how that works for you.