Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comfort vs...Honda CR-V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I realize this is kinda crazy comparing the two, but bear with me...
We currently own a 2019 Model 3 with 18" wheels. We live in SoCal. My family, especially those sitting in the rear seats, is finding the ride to be somewhat uncomfortable. I genuinely don't know exactly what the issue is, but anyone sitting in the back will typically get nauseous / motion sickness quite easily. I didn't believe my wife at first until I switched places with her. This has made longer drives (1+ hours) with the M3 unbearable. I know the first thing that comes to mind is driving style, but we are not aggressive drivers and we both have it on "Chill" mode. We weren't driving luxury cars prior to the M3 - I was driving a Hyundai Sonata and my wife drove a Mazda CX-5. However, I'm slowly coming to the realization that the M3 is not a good "family" car for us, due to a combination of comfort, rear legroom and trunk space. Frustrated, I figured I'll just get us a good ole Honda CR-V. So comfortable it screams "road trip" when you hop inside. However, before I retire back to an ICE, I was considering giving the Model Y a chance. Maybe all we really need is an SUV, not a sedan? However, upon some light reading, it seems that the Y rides just as stiff, if not stiffer than the 3, which is concerning.
So my question is, has anyone here had a chance to compare these 2 completely different vehicles? Any other thoughts / comments would be appreciated, but please be nice :)

Reactions: fiatlux
The Y absolutely rides harsher than the 3 (if you can believe that).
Tesla has also removed the regen strength setting in new production MY’s. So anyone who would get motion sick on account of regenerative brakeing is surely going to feel it more.

On the plus side, the rear passenger room in the Y is a substantial upgrade from the 3. And the seats partially recline.

Ok, I realize this is kinda crazy comparing the two, but bear with me...
We currently own a 2019 Model 3 with 18" wheels. We live in SoCal. My family, especially those sitting in the rear seats, is finding the ride to be somewhat uncomfortable. I genuinely don't know exactly what the issue is, but anyone sitting in the back will typically get nauseous / motion sickness quite easily. I didn't believe my wife at first until I switched places with her. This has made longer drives (1+ hours) with the M3 unbearable. I know the first thing that comes to mind is driving style, but we are not aggressive drivers and we both have it on "Chill" mode. We weren't driving luxury cars prior to the M3 - I was driving a Hyundai Sonata and my wife drove a Mazda CX-5. However, I'm slowly coming to the realization that the M3 is not a good "family" car for us, due to a combination of comfort, rear legroom and trunk space. Frustrated, I figured I'll just get us a good ole Honda CR-V. So comfortable it screams "road trip" when you hop inside. However, before I retire back to an ICE, I was considering giving the Model Y a chance. Maybe all we really need is an SUV, not a sedan? However, upon some light reading, it seems that the Y rides just as stiff, if not stiffer than the 3, which is concerning.
So my question is, has anyone here had a chance to compare these 2 completely different vehicles? Any other thoughts / comments would be appreciated, but please be nice :)
I am not sure anyone can really provide any meaningful answer to you. The only way you can find out is to take a long test drive? Sorry for not being any more helpful! 😀

The model 3 is known for its somewhat rough suspension. Hitting sharp bumps feels harsher than my previous WRX, if you can believe that. Normal driving is much softer however. There's some specific types of bumps/cracks that the suspension cannot soak well. One solution is to swap the suspension for an MPP sport or comfort or something like that. Yes, sport replacement kits are more comfortable it seems. There are a few videos on youtube that explain why. I presume the Y suffers the same "bad design" of the suspension.

Leg room, trunk room etc will be better on the Y I think.

If you have money and want to stay with an electric car, look at those videos about suspension upgrades, or read the appropriate threads in the model 3 Driving Dynamics subforum. Most applies to the Y.

I don't have a Model Y yet but we've had our CR-V Hybrid since last May and we just took a long test drive a few days ago (simulating what it's like if we were to own the car). It was a relatively new LR 7-seater with 20" wheels (odometer shows 350mils when we got it, it's radarless as confirmed by no passenger-side lumbar adjustments). The ride of MY was more sporty and didn't seem to settle as quickly as CR-V, it's like the shocks from the road imperfections take slightly longer to diminish but the power and the handling of the MY more than compensates for this shortcoming for us. I wouldn't call it harsh.

We took a shorter test drive (40 mins?) in Mar and it was a pretty beaten LR sample but with 19" wheels and the old piano finish center console. I remember we came away really disappointed at that time, disliking the harsh ride quality and how everything rattled inside the car on bumpy roads. Perhaps Tesla did some improvements over time. The new sample felt much better to us, even with its larger 20" wheels.

If ride quality is your best interest, you may want to check out the VW ID.4. Its ride quality is pretty good.

Honestly, if you guys are susceptible to motion sickness, I'm not sure there is much you can do, other then get used to it... Not exactly the same as your CR-V, but we have an Acura MDX Advance, which has the magnetic/active suspension, in addition to our Y. When we first got our MDX, my mother-in-law, who gets susceptible to motion sickness, used to complain of the same thing in our MDX, even when I set to suspension to comfort, she complained. (I normally leave everything in Sport). She got used to it after a while... She hasn't complained about the Y... But I do notice that the Y is much stiffer than the MDX, even in Sport. (MDX feels like a boat now after driving the Y). But with that being said, some friends came to visit a while ago, and she had her kid (who gets motion sick), in our MDX, and we had to carry a barf bag with us, because even in comfort mode, it was too stiff for him.

With my mother in law, she used to have to take Dramamine for long road trips... But now she's used to it, and doesn't need it anymore.

Honestly, if you guys are susceptible to motion sickness, I'm not sure there is much you can do, other then get used to it... Not exactly the same as your CR-V, but we have an Acura MDX Advance, which has the magnetic/active suspension, in addition to our Y. When we first got our MDX, my mother-in-law, who gets susceptible to motion sickness, used to complain of the same thing in our MDX, even when I set to suspension to comfort, she complained. (I normally leave everything in Sport). She got used to it after a while... She hasn't complained about the Y... But I do notice that the Y is much stiffer than the MDX, even in Sport. (MDX feels like a boat now after driving the Y). But with that being said, some friends came to visit a while ago, and she had her kid (who gets motion sick), in our MDX, and we had to carry a barf bag with us, because even in comfort mode, it was too stiff for him.

With my mother in law, she used to have to take Dramamine for long road trips... But now she's used to it, and doesn't need it anymore.
Thanks for the insight! Interesting thing is, we haven't had motion sickness before in our older vehicles. We drove the Sonata to Vegas (4+ hours) and everyone was fine, my son even fell asleep. So I don't know if we're just aging or what.

Thanks for the insight! Interesting thing is, we haven't had motion sickness before in our older vehicles. We drove the Sonata to Vegas (4+ hours) and everyone was fine, my son even fell asleep. So I don't know if we're just aging or what.
Maybe its the roads you took on the drive and/or test drive? Because when I was driving my friends around, her kid didn't complain about motion sickness until I took a different route home, that involved some rougher 2 lane roads.

The CR-V has a more comfortable suspension compared with the MY. Otherwise seating and room will be similar. The rear seats in the M3 are very low and your knees are elevated...definitely not comfortable for long periods of time. On the MY, the seat is higher so your legs are at a more natural angle and you are not scrunched up so it's much more comfortable. If the problem is your driving style, then you just need to learn to provide easy inputs to the throttle....easy up and down instead of letting off suddenly.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I don't know about the New MY but I find the 2020 model to have great regen braking. I feel that the MY is everything that the M3 wasn't.
There is plenty of room inside especially in the back. The takeoff performance is not like any normal Tesla. It's a little to be desired but I feel that this was by design to help with motion sickness.

Yes, it has a rough ride but with aftermarket, that can be dealt with from the video's that I seen. I kind of like the firm ride myself. My wife loves her MX and is not a big fan of the MY ride but she's spoiled with the air ride.

I think the CX 5 is a great car. My son purchased a late model and really loves it. Mazda's are very fun to drive too. Good friends of ours purchased the CX-30 I believe. It's the turbo charged engine and they love it.

You can't go wrong with a Honda. Honda makes from what I remember over 13 million engines per year so their quality is top notch. I also think the CR-V is at a good price point. They are a little behind in their tech but that's my opinion.

I'd check with some of the local Tesla groups in your area and get a feel of the MY. May find someone that will let you drive it with your family for a couple of days. If you are set on another electric, you can't go wrong with the MY. If you are wanting the best car for the buck. I'd pick a late model Mazda CX. Sure over the 5 to 10 years of ownership the MY may win that argument but the price point on the Mazda's is just about perfect.

What say you?

Reactions: dannydan
I don't know about the New MY but I find the 2020 model to have great regen braking. I feel that the MY is everything that the M3 wasn't.
There is plenty of room inside especially in the back. The takeoff performance is not like any normal Tesla. It's a little to be desired but I feel that this was by design to help with motion sickness.

Yes, it has a rough ride but with aftermarket, that can be dealt with from the video's that I seen. I kind of like the firm ride myself. My wife loves her MX and is not a big fan of the MY ride but she's spoiled with the air ride.

I think the CX 5 is a great car. My son purchased a late model and really loves it. Mazda's are very fun to drive too. Good friends of ours purchased the CX-30 I believe. It's the turbo charged engine and they love it.

You can't go wrong with a Honda. Honda makes from what I remember over 13 million engines per year so their quality is top notch. I also think the CR-V is at a good price point. They are a little behind in their tech but that's my opinion.

I'd check with some of the local Tesla groups in your area and get a feel of the MY. May find someone that will let you drive it with your family for a couple of days. If you are set on another electric, you can't go wrong with the MY. If you are wanting the best car for the buck. I'd pick a late model Mazda CX. Sure over the 5 to 10 years of ownership the MY may win that argument but the price point on the Mazda's is just about perfect.

What say you?
Thanks!
We liked out CX-5 as well. Definitely fun to drive. Rear legroom is limited though, definitely on the smaller side for the segment. Also very dated on the tech front...
I don't think they even adopted wireless carplay or Android auto yet, and their infotainment system looks like it's stuck in the 90s. It's also kinda funny how you have to go to the highest trim levels to get something basic like driver seat profiles. Tesla has been in the market for so long and these other manufacturers still aren't taking notes. Sigh.

To be honest I was never really a car enthusiast. Fast cars never impressed me. I bought the M3 for the tech. And I would sacrifice some of that crazy performance for comfort any day. However, I realize performance sells better than comfort, so I'm not very hopeful things will change. For me comfort and safety are the most important features in a car.

I don't think it's ride stiffness that creates nausea in a backseat. Getting jerked and bounced around isn't typically a nausea enduing motion. Very likely it has more to do with the closeness of the surroundings (seat, doors, ceiling). A more open area would likely help.

The Honda CR-V is a fantastic car. I think you should also test drive a Model Y with people in the backseat.